Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staz Johnson

Quote from: Professor Cardigan on 15 February, 2015, 02:14:13 PM
You're the Rogue pro Staz and I defer to your expertise, but from my humble perspective I don't see those images as even vaguely similar - if the 'pose' has been swiped, maybe, but almost every detail is different beyond the basic idea of 'tank' and 'tanker'. Should note that I love both Kennedy and Wilson.

In my experience most 'swipes' tend to fall into this bracket, rather than a straight trace. But Wilson has definitely borrowed from those Kennedy images, from the actual inking technique, to the lighting... he has sci-fi'ed them up somewhat, but that's the point I was making.. if you're going to swipe, bring something of yourself to the party to make it your own.

Colin YNWA

Of more importance than any of this swipey type talk thanks for the heads up about the Frontline UK reprint, never heard of that before and since I'm lovin' all of Hibneria's output I'm thinking this has got to be worth a go. Anyone read it?

Staz Johnson

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 February, 2015, 05:16:22 PM
Of more importance than any of this swipey type talk thanks for the heads up about the Frontline UK reprint, never heard of that before and since I'm lovin' all of Hibneria's output I'm thinking this has got to be worth a go. Anyone read it?
I have (obviously) & I enjoyed it, baring in mind the strip was originally aimed at a young juvenile audience, so it's not the most sophisticated storytelling ever. The artwork, however is superb (as you might expect), & there's some interesting articles on the creators & origin of the strip.

Regarding my original post, I find the Chris Foss 'swipe' (for want of a better word) far more interesting, & if I ever get asked to do a strip with spaceships again, you can bet I'll be borrowing heavily from those classic 70's paperback cover artists, & making no secret of it. Those guys were just brilliant!

Hawkmumbler

Bear Ally have put out a collection of material from The Crunch as well called Arena. Need to get around to these at some point.

Dash Decent

It's in the reading pile but I haven't got to it yet (Dredd Urban Warfare and The Royals Masters of War are on the go at the moment).  You can see some interior spreads and order it from here: http://bearalleybooks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/frontline-uk.html
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Staz Johnson

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 November, 2013, 08:13:51 AM

Nighthawks by Hopper has to be one of the most referenced and homaged pieces of art in the comics field. There's countless examples of it being used... no I don't have any to hand you'll just have to trust me...

I do trust you, but the only one I can think of is this by Dave Mazzucchelli from Batman: Year One, however, I'm no comics historian...

Lobo Baggins

Not exactly a swipe but...

Front cover of the book of the film Moonraker, which, to avoid confusion, is named 'James Bond and Moonraker' in true Doctor Who novelisation style rather than Moonraker as it isn't remotely a film of the original book...

Front cover of prog 119, which saw the first episode of the ABC Warriors and the return of Dan Dare - not to mention the beginning of Disaster 1990 - which had some recycled artwork of Roger Moore zooming through space WITHOUT A HELMET ON!

How does he breathe? HOW DOES HE BREATHE?!?
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Hawkmumbler

Link Prime

Fungus

Ursula K

Not sure I'm doing this right, but here goes...

I always thought the scout-plane in The Masks of Arazzor (Prog #241, late 1982) looked similar(ish) to a 1970s Battlestar Galactica Viper...

Something about the placement of the three engines around the cockpit and the snub-nose. Most likely a complete coincidence though, I mean, how many variations of basic jet plane designs are there, right?

ming

Quote from: Ursula K on 22 March, 2015, 03:47:52 AM
Not sure I'm doing this right, but here goes...

I always thought the scout-plane in The Masks of Arazzor (Prog #241, late 1982) looked similar(ish) to a 1970s Battlestar Galactica Viper...

Something about the placement of the three engines around the cockpit and the snub-nose. Most likely a complete coincidence though, I mean, how many variations of basic jet plane designs are there, right?

Good call!  :)

Dandontdare

indeed - though they've added a gun to the jet engine's air intake, which I'm not sure is an awfully good idea, design-wise!

The Adventurer

I vaguely recall the fighter craft in 86ers heavily reminding me of colonial Vipers. Only perhaps without wings.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK