Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Take a silver crucifix with you. And lots of garlic...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 February, 2020, 11:20:25 AM

Take a silver crucifix with you. And lots of garlic...

...or even a shaver   :P.

My first prison job was very interesting - we were painting in a small room in the drug rehab section and I couldn't believe how they left sweating, shivering convicts unattended in the room with us.  They were fine though, one lad finding the strength to compliment our work. 

Walking around the wing it was amazing to see that many cell doors were open and inmates were wandering round chatting and joking with guards. Most of the prisoners knew my brother and I ended up having a few friendly chats in there.  I'd expected unrelenting grimness and ended up having a laugh.

But then, of course, I could leave at the end of the day.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Gary James

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 February, 2020, 11:32:25 AM
My first prison job was very interesting - we were painting in a small room in the drug rehab section...
Rather apt that there's an Alan Moore connection then.  :lol:

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 February, 2020, 11:32:25 AMWalking around the wing it was amazing to see that many cell doors were open and inmates were wandering round chatting and joking with guards. Most of the prisoners knew my brother and I ended up having a few friendly chats in there.  I'd expected unrelenting grimness and ended up having a laugh.

But then, of course, I could leave at the end of the day.

I used to watch Porridge as a kid and think that prison was a brilliant lifestyle.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 February, 2020, 02:00:29 AM
I used to watch Porridge as a kid and think that prison was a brilliant lifestyle.

Whereas Porridge always terrified me as a nipper. The Barker voice-over in the credits, the dark grainy footage an the clanging.door... brrrr. I spent a lot of my secondary school years with the nagging feeling that I was in Slade.

Not that I didn't love the show (and still do), and badly wanted a mate like Fletch. He's one of the greatest, most rounded, characters in TV comedy.

But it is just possible that Porridge scared me straight (in the legal sense).

The Legendary Shark

I wanted to be Fletcher. The way nothing fazed him, and his ready wit, impressed young me no end.

As for Ronnie Barker, he's my comedy hero. It still amazes me that one man could present us with such disparate characters as Fletcher and Arkwight with virtually no overlap - and his monologues on the Two Ronnies were often sublime. I love that man.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 12 February, 2020, 06:15:30 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 12 February, 2020, 04:13:17 PM
Consider this nicked.

Steal away, I nicked it off Imgur!

I only signed up to Imgur after Photobucket got arsey about free links, and now I'm fucking addicted to short videos of cats and dogs being cute, kids and drunken idiots hurting themselves, and endless pop culture memes.

Glad it's not just me.  I usually end up there after following an image link from this very forum, and end up trapped in a spiral of - well, you've just about covered it in your post.

Dandontdare

Oh yes, them derps, birbs, floofs and chonks are addictive!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 February, 2020, 03:54:17 PM
Oh yes, them derps, birbs, floofs and chonks are addictive!

Every time I think I'm getting to grips with modern net-speak, this happens...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 February, 2020, 09:30:36 AM
I wanted to be Fletcher. The way nothing fazed him, and his ready wit, impressed young me no end.

As for Ronnie Barker, he's my comedy hero. It still amazes me that one man could present us with such disparate characters as Fletcher and Arkwight with virtually no overlap - and his monologues on the Two Ronnies were often sublime. I love that man.

He couldn't take criticism, though. When the production team would suggest alternatives to his ideas, he would say very little but often take it out his anger later on those further down the pecking order, reducing more than one makeup girl to tears. Maybe that's the price of genius...?
@jamesfeistdraws

The Legendary Shark

I guess nobody's perfect :)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

NapalmKev

I am the answer to the Ultimate Question!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

Did you turn 42 today?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Pfft. That whole 42 conversation is so eighteen months ago. The hip answer is, it depends. Or ~42ish.

The dolphins know all about it, or so I'm given to believe.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Gary James

How do you know you aren't the answer to a trick question?