Main Menu

Preacher (TV Series)...

Started by Goaty, 18 November, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: Woolly on 02 August, 2017, 07:10:07 PM
Not happy with the omission of [spoiler]D'Aronique and the connections to Jesse's past[/spoiler], but then I'm an unapologetic Preacher fan-boy.

See, that connection always jumped out as really contrived and unnecessary to me in the comics.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Woolly on 02 August, 2017, 07:10:07 PMAnd the casting is once again spot-on.

It was impressive, wasn't it?  That's even more Herr Starr than the Saint is the Saint.  Also the most Preacherish episode yet.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Woolly

Quote from: radiator on 02 August, 2017, 09:48:17 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 02 August, 2017, 07:10:07 PM
Not happy with the omission of [spoiler]D'Aronique and the connections to Jesse's past[/spoiler], but then I'm an unapologetic Preacher fan-boy.

See, that connection always jumped out as really contrived and unnecessary to me in the comics.

See, I do agree with you, but was hoping the TV series would take these elements and make more of them. To just excise them feels a bit wrong.

But then, unapologetic fan-boy, etc...  ;)

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 August, 2017, 02:09:14 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 02 August, 2017, 07:10:07 PMAnd the casting is once again spot-on.

It was impressive, wasn't it?  That's even more Herr Starr than the Saint is the Saint.  Also the most Preacherish episode yet.

The writing for the Herr Starr scenes was also fantastic. Still felt like it was straight from the comic somehow, whilst being entirely new.
These changes I can accept, as they're done so well.

Theblazeuk

Herr Starr is even more OTT than the comic book version. I guess they are removing the wee bit of pathos he had in his backstory ("This is not the way the world should be").

radiator

Haven't seen any of s2 yet, but on reflection, the Herr Starr special is one of the bits that stands up best from of the comics. Great ending.

The Legendary Shark

Never read the comics but I'm loving this.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 August, 2017, 07:49:23 PM
Never read the comics but I'm loving this.
The only bits of the comics I read were the bits that were reprinted in the Meg - also loving the TV series.

Mattofthespurs

Not seen this week's episode yet but overall the missus, my 13 year old bot, and I are loving it.
My boy has even borrowed my first TPB to read.
Thought the 'soul' episode was rather contrived but that was on reflection a few days later. Loved it at the time.

Rara Avis

I haven't read the novels but I am watching the show. The first season was incredible and the second is shaping up to go the same way.

However I am a tad disappointed that [spoiler]the Saint of Killers has been dispatched so quickly and so easily after being built up so much[/spoiler]. I'm going to assume that that story arc is not not complete and will await [spoiler]his return[/spoiler] with as much patience as I can muster.

Mattofthespurs

Rara Avis

I really hope so because he really is an incredible character and didn't deserve that ignominious [spoiler][spoiler]end[/spoiler][/spoiler].

Woolly

Well, that's episode 13 watched and the series done with.

Overall I'd say it was an OK series of something very loosely based on Preacher, but a bad series of Preacher.

DrRocka

What Wooly said ^ and that's being generous. My non comic reading friends have been loving it, but after last nights episode, I'm out for good. I think it's because I keep expecting it to hit one or two beats from the comic, and it steadfastly refuses to do so, preferring to waste time with interminable dream sequences (the LAZIEST form of padding out an episode), and pointless subplots. Ah well, I've still got me comics. And I kinda like the Lethal Weapon tv show.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Proudhuff

Indulge my laziness... where's this showing?
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me