Main Menu

Megazine 4.16

Started by paulvonscott, 23 September, 2002, 06:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

As I only got the previous megazine this week, I have to say I was pretty pleased to have another one so soon.  Having read it pretty *darn* pleased.

The new strip, Scarlet Traces, all *30* pages of it is sumptuous stuff.  I really was half expecting this strip to be the megazines Wild Wild West, but I loved it.  The pigeon catchers were brilliant :)  

The Radlander, ooh Ridgeway's back, in what looks like is going to be a pretty gripping story.  Lovely colours.

Yound Middenface is a treat too.  Really funny and engaging, but those Roadhouse sound effects are back ;)

Quirky Durham Red, an article which isn't the dirt-disher I hoped but interesting enough, bendatti and classic Rogue Cinnebar...

It just gets better.  How?  How is it done?

I reckon Alan Barnes has been down to the crossroads...

Alan Barnes

As dear old Uncle Morrissey once said: Satan rejected my soul.

But glad you enjoyed the Meg -- I was pleased with this one, so thanks for the kind words!

Alan

Slippery PD

I agree PVS.  Very good megazine, which has been going from strength to strength recently.

Radlander was great, reminded me of Dead Man.  Pobably because of the Rdigeway art and partial cursed earth setting.

The three new strips are of very high quality, Middenface is excellent.  You can see that Alan Grant is a Scotsman, its full of little references and the art is good.  Cinnebar is a RT classic.  Scarlet Traces, could be truly fantastic.  Good Art, nice little plot.  I like the page titles and the little details (like the aformentioned pigeon catchers).

Durham is good, liked joni and the Gronk, art looks like its in a manga stylee.

Bendatti also seems to moving along very nicely indeed.

- yer Slippo

John Caliber

Yep, this latest issue of the Megazine is the best issue I've ever read - a pity it took so long to get the Meg to this level :(

Here's to the bumper Xmas edition!

- TCC

Link: http://2kadpbem.20com/jd" target="_blank">THE JUDGE DREDD STREET SIM

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

opaque

I wholeheartedly agree this months Meg is great.
But I'm not a fan of Bendatti, it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the stories, in terms of art and story.
Scarlet Traces is great stuff!

Tu-plang

Where's Scarlet Traces from?

New, reprint, who by?

paulvonscott

I had a lot of hope for bendatti.  I love the art and the first opening episode was great, then it all went a bit wobbly.  I think they should have stuck with two characters and not explained anyone elses background or even why they are doing these things and not refferred to real life disasters.  Mystery does help to make it more exciting. Are they criminals, are they part of a government secret service, the mafia, are they mercenaries, are they good, are they bad?  Having said that, it's still not bad.

Someone said that scarlet traces started on cool beans.  I'm so glad it made it to the meg.

The Amstor Computer

Scarlet Traces is a fantastic strip from Ian Edgington & D'Israeli, originally appearing on the now-defunct Cool Beans comics website. IIRC, only the first two-thirds of the strip appeared before the collapse of the site, and for fans, it looked like that was the end for Scarlet Traces.

Fortunately, the Megazine has picked it up and we'll *finally* get to see the conclusion of the story.

Ian Edgington is also responsible for the upcoming - and highly promising - Red Seas in the weekly, and D'Israeli will be familiar to most 2000AD fans from his short stint on Future Shocks a year or so back, and the Meg reprints of Lazarus Churchyard. IMO, Scarlet Traces is their best work so far, and I'd love to congratulate everyone on the Meg for bringing it to wider attention.

paulvonscott

Just on another note, does anyone miss hellboy?

I don't, though I'm glad I got the opportunity to read the first book, I wouldn't want to read any more.

GordonR

Admiteddly, the first Hellboy series isn't the best.

Once Mignola dumped John Byrne as co-plotter/dialogue writer, the strip really gets going.

ukdane

So is the Meg just printing the last 1/3 of the strip, or are they collecting the complete strip from the begining?
Cheers

-Daney

Matt

Scarlet Traces is been printed in full. It was easily the best thing in the Meg this month. I really hated D'Israeli's art on Lazarus Churchyard but this just blew me away. In a lot of ways the whole feel of the strip reminded me of Dare, and I loved that series as well. If this was typical of the standard of material appearing on the Cool Beans site then I'm all for the Meg printing more. Easily the best issue of the Meg for a very long time.

Buddy

Is it just me or is teh CGI Dredd on the cover REALLY SHIT LOOKING.

Just a thought

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk

roystead

"Scarlet Traces is been printed in full. It was easily the best thing in the Meg this month. I really hated D'Israeli's art on Lazarus Churchyard but this just blew me away."

*nods agreement with matt*

roystead

"Is it just me or is teh CGI Dredd on the cover REALLY SHIT LOOKING."

Certainly seemed a bit vertically stretched to me.