Main Menu

When is the REAL Nikolai Dante coming back?

Started by the shutdown man, 24 October, 2005, 07:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

Dante was always one of my favourite characters, and stories, from his introduction, right through to the whole war arc, I though the entire thing was fantastic. And then in the closing chapters of the war, we get these tantalising glimpses that something kick-ass is still to come, (Konstantin is still alive, and has switched sides, Dmitri's weapons crest disappears, Arkady might have it, and he's very close to the Tsar now, Lulu's still out there somewhere...) But since then, there's been barely anything, apart from a brief appearance by Lulu. Dante has regressed in a few stories to the "lovable rogue" he was when we first met him, and it just seems as if the writers have forgotten about all these elements they put in place, going for some pretty dull stories instead. And they've got to bring back Simon Fraser.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

The Amstor Computer

Well, given his comments here & elsewhere, I don't think Simon Fraser's due back on Dante anytime soon - if at all.

As for the current stories... well, I'm a bit tired of them, and it does feel like the character is drifting a bit, but there is supposed to be a grand plan to it all, and I'd expect to see a resolution to the various issues hanging over the strip since the Tsar Wars series. As to when it happens - well, who knows?

The Adventurer

Morrison's probibly just waiting for the right moment.  This year's been pretty busy to fit in another Mega Epic Dante arc.

Since I havn't read the Tzar Wars yet (I'm catching up in the Trades) I'm going to hope it doesn't start until I'm all caught up.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Amstor Computer

Well, it does seem like Morrison - or editorial - have been waiting for the right moment for rather a long time.

It's been four years since the end of the Tsar Wars saga, and it's only really this year that the series has started moving again after a two year hiatus. It's a bit disconcerting to realise that it's already been six months since the last Dante tale, and there's no sign of it back until the beginning of 2006 at the earliest.

Dark Jimbo

I've been thinking these same things for a loooong time. Four years I've been waiting to find out what happens with Konstantin/Arkady/Lulu - four years of my life, and I've only been reading tooth regularly for five!!

The new series has seemed to wander aimlessly, not quite seeming to know what to do with itself, though it was kinda saved at the end for me by Maurgerite's sudden death (which was brilliantly done) and the introduction of Lauren, who seems like she's going to be a great character (mmm... nice curves - well done Mr. Burns!)
Hopefully now it will start to go somewhere again, and resolve the whole pirate/mum/dragon lady thing.

Though helpfully, the break is giving me time to catch up on the series via the tpbs, seeing as I missed most of the earlier stuff. Hopefully Dante will re-appear with new direction just as I finish the trades.
@jamesfeistdraws

the shutdown man

Out of curiousity Amstor, what were Simon Fraser's comments regarding Dante? Has he said he's ditching him? It'd be a damn shame if he is, I for one really do not like Burns' artwork on Dante at all. Hell, even the bio-blades don't look right.

I agree that the new series is just aimless too, the reuniting of Dante with his mother really just felt "meh" compared to him finding his father.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Tarantino

I spoke to Simon recently as I bought some art from him and he is currently working in France (I think) but he said he would love to do more Dante if commissioned to do so in the future.

Tarantino

WoD

I'd REALLY love to see Simon back on it...

Byron Virgo

You're the reason he ran away in the first place!

Bloody Welsh stalkers...

Tarantino

Let's start a bring back Simon Fraser campaign. I suggest we all inundate Rebellion with our request, otherwise how will they know?

The following is the email address to write to

publicrelations@2000adonline.com

So no excuses for not doing it.

Tarantino

WoD

All the best Stalkers are Welsh...I'm currently developing a thing for spats...see you at Brighton!

Oddboy

IIRC there were two schools of thought - probably a bit of both will get you closer to the truth, but I really wouldn't know:

a) Simon F has several other projects on the go in Europe, and doesn't/didn't have time to commit to Dante

b) some people fell out over something or other, and that's getting in the way.

Better set your phaser to stun.

Byron Virgo

"All the best Stalkers are Welsh...I'm currently developing a thing for spats...see you at Brighton!"

Well, expect to be dissapointed then...