Main Menu

Wagner and Dredd

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 25 March, 2019, 04:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

In terms of total numbers of pages, it doesn't come close to Dredd, but Alejandro Jodorowski is a contender - his 'Jodoverse' series of interconnected comics are all in the same Universe, with a consistent tone, and have been going on and off since 1980 I think.
The Incal, The Metabarons, Technopriests being the core series, all written by one guy (with a few co-writers here and there, which you'd have to count if you're comparing to John Wagner).

How good these comics are compared to Judge Dredd is a matter of taste, but they've been highly influential on comics and movies. Some might say the stellar art carries some rather silly scripts, but then I've only read a couple of albums out of a total of like 36.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 March, 2019, 09:10:05 PM
Quote from: GordonR on 25 March, 2019, 06:31:26 PM
Dave Sim wrote (and pencilled) over 6000 pages of Cerebus the Aardvark, which has got to take some beating.

I love the first 200 issues of this... even if it has problems as time goes on. The last 100, what I've read of them are very problematic. Still the work of a genius, all be it a troubled one.

Well, 186 and a bit, anyway ;-)

Wikipedia
"Cerebus #186 was published in September 1994. The issue is the final portion of the Reads collection in the Mothers & Daughters story. It went on to become one of the most notoriously controversial books in comics history."

At lunch at the mo, but I'll have to catch up on these articles later:
The Notorious Issue 186
The Extraordinary and Controversial Career of Dave Sim
"Sim became one of the medium's finest writers. For long stretches, Cerebus was arguably the best-written comic book: complex, nuanced, funny, dramatic, emotional, and compassionate, particularly the novels Jaka's Story and Melmoth. That compassion --- that apparent humanity --- is likely why Sim lost so many readers with Cerebus 186..."
The Most Important Non-Superhero Comic You've Never Heard Of

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 26 March, 2019, 07:47:49 PM
Finding out that Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone didn't really write all of those books with their names on them was a bit like finding out Father Christmas wasn't real.

Though funniliy enough, Scorpion Swamp wasn't written by Steve Jackson* and Ian Livingstone, but was written by Steve Jackson**.

*British game designer
**USA game designer

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 01 April, 2019, 12:56:14 PM
Quote from: Richard on 26 March, 2019, 07:47:49 PM
Finding out that Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone didn't really write all of those books with their names on them was a bit like finding out Father Christmas wasn't real.

Though funniliy enough, Scorpion Swamp wasn't written by Steve Jackson* and Ian Livingstone, but was written by Steve Jackson**.

*British game designer
**USA game designer

USA Steve Jackson being the guy behind Munchkin.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 01 April, 2019, 11:37:38 AM
In terms of total numbers of pages, it doesn't come close to Dredd, but Alejandro Jodorowski is a contender - his 'Jodoverse' series of interconnected comics are all in the same Universe, with a consistent tone, and have been going on and off since 1980 I think.
The Incal, The Metabarons, Technopriests being the core series, all written by one guy (with a few co-writers here and there, which you'd have to count if you're comparing to John Wagner).

How good these comics are compared to Judge Dredd is a matter of taste, but they've been highly influential on comics and movies. Some might say the stellar art carries some rather silly scripts, but then I've only read a couple of albums out of a total of like 36.

There were a few of those being given away at last year's free comic book day - if Rebellion's offerings put the majority of other publishers to shame, then those albums put even 2000AD FCBD in the shade (in terms of printing, binding and presentation anyway - the actual creativity inside is, as ever, subject to taste.

rs_jr

I really hope Wagner ends up finishing dredd, maybe when it the 50th anniversary.
Dredd going out at 83 seems fitting for him to go out during him protecting the city.

I think some people might like this but pass the torch to Rico

sintec

Berserk must be up there in the page count stakes.  I think that's up to 40 volumes now at ~220 per volume so somewhere in the region of 8800 pages, and all the work of Kentaro Miura.

jabish

I said it over on Facebook as well, but the man owes us nothing. John Wagner is a pure legend. Over 40 years of stunning stories. Is there anyone better on Dredd? No. But is there a better writer in comics? I would also argue no. I think he is better than Alan Moore. What a body of work. Aren't we lucky? I feel the price of my sub is worth the chance of opening a prog and seeing his name in the credits box somewhere.

You can see how much he has enjoyed doing Rok of The Reds. Hope ye all bought it and will contribute to the kickstarter for series 2 when it kicks off. One way of saying thanks and getting a brilliant comic at the same time.