Main Menu

Prog 1847 Facebook

Started by moly, 24 August, 2013, 11:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Lovely cover by cliff Robinson

Dredd highlight of this weeks prog nice to see that magazine city one isn't just about dredd

Defoe comes to an end this week obviously another book follows thought the art was a bit down on its normally high standard

Ten seconders great artwork and can't wait for next week

Aotw hmm at least this finishes soon

Slaine wonderful art from fabry if nothing else it got me to order some of the older slaine stuff

And a great star scan from dave kendall

moly

Obv should be Faceboot blame the auto correct

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

moly

Damn auto correct on the iPad is a nightmare. :-[

Mabs

I have no such problem with my Android!  ;)

But seriously, can't you turn auto off? They should have that function I would think. When I saw "Facebook" in the thread title I thought Tharg was having a laugh!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Noooooooo the curse of Ten Seconders strikes again. Now I don't dislike Ben Willsher's art, but I'm not as big a fan as many seem to be. So when I open my Prog, already a little downhearted as the current line-up is one of the weakest I can remember for some time, to see the one standout strip running at the moment has lost the simply magnificent Edmund Bagwell my heart just sank...

... yes yes I know I should read the thing before making judgments but I needed to rant and my wife, nor my 4 year old have any interest in my moaning it would seem (I bet Sid my 2 year old would listen... but he's sleeping the wuss)

Mabs

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 August, 2013, 01:34:19 PM
Noooooooo the curse of Ten Seconders strikes again. Now I don't dislike Ben Willsher's art, but I'm not as big a fan as many seem to be. So when I open my Prog, already a little downhearted as the current line-up is one of the weakest I can remember for some time, to see the one standout strip running at the moment has lost the simply magnificent Edmund Bagwell my heart just sank...

... yes yes I know I should read the thing before making judgments but I needed to rant and my wife, nor my 4 year old have any interest in my moaning it would seem (I bet Sid my 2 year old would listen... but he's sleeping the wuss)

What? No Edmund Bagwell for Ten-Seconders? Why Tharg, why?  :'(

My Twitter @nexuswookie

oshii

Is Fabry's art reproduced from the pencils?   Quite a nice effect however it's done. 

Wilsher on Dredd and 10 Seconders.  Other than the mighty Carlos, it can't be too often a droid has been on double art duties in a single issue.

Rob1971

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 August, 2013, 01:34:19 PM

Ben's manfully stepping in for a couple of weeks. Edmund's back for the finale.

Colin YNWA

Well very glad to here Edmund will be back for the conclusion as I really did miss his art this week. That said the story is still magnificent and still the standout in the Prog, by some distance. The story just doesn't let up and while Ben Willsher's work doesn't elevate and provide the epic scale its had with Bagwell's art, it still does the job and certainly doesn't detract. So much to my relief Ten Seconder's is magnificent.

As I imagine Defoe was to those who are fans of the strip. I'm not, but I still really enjoyed this conclusion, for people more invested I guess it will have superb impact? So do we think that's it for good, or will we see what Defoe's change of direction leads too? By the way I'm assuming that's his cloak at the end there?

Age of the Wolf alas I struggled to engage with at all this week. This one has officially lost me I fear.

Dredd was solidly where its always been. Its a wonderful bit of craft but feels a little old. Oh and speaking of how I'm not a massive fan of Ben Willsher's art how fantastic is that last panel! It just works so well, nice dramatic ending.

I always seem to want to say more about Slaine but can't quite work out what to say. The story doesn't really do anything for me. Pat Mills always seems the type of writer who works very much his artist's strengths, to get the best out of them. He seems to have taken this to an extreme with this series. Its as if he just asked his colleagues what they wanted to draw and cranked a script out around that. To that end we're getting a series that's a treat on the eyes, but empty overall. The way Glen Fabry's art is rendered here is exquisite. Pencils tightened to different degrees to give a real sense of depth and bringing the characters to real life is quite superb. Alas if only the script had the same life.

So mixed bag this week to say the least and not up to standard compared to what we're used to these days. Mind if I ranked the comic out of ten I'd have given it a bonus point for the brilliance of Cliff Robinson's wondrous design for Dredd's boot grips on the cover. Quite fantastic has he used that before? If so I've not noticed.

Darren Stephens

Mmmm, I'm a bit gutted to see that Bagwell is not in the prog this week. No offence intended to Mr Willsher, but Bagwell is just so good right now. Glad to hear he's back for the finish! :)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mabs on 24 August, 2013, 12:19:10 PM
But seriously, can't you turn auto off?

Yes. Settings -> General -> Keyboard

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

lborl

Bearing in mind the other comments I feel I have to come out and say how impressed I was with Ben Willsher's art on Dredd this week. On the third page, where the Judges are staking out Dino's, I suddenly noticed how he's subtly letting small panel elements overlap into adjacent ones to unify the page and occasionally reinforce reading flow. I know it's not an innovation exactly but I think it's done especially well there - look, for example, how subtly the rear fairing of the Lawmaster in the second panel just slightly crosses over the border of the previous establishing one. Perversely it actually made me break my reading midflow just to look back over and admire it. Proper smart is that.

Also, the script is great. I love:
[spoiler]"What's the problem?"
"The problem is creeps who ask what's the problem, creep!"[/spoiler]

While I'm here I might as well put in how much I also liked Bender last issue using the original simplistic Dredd's line "I am the law and you better believe it".

Pete Wells

How cool is Cliff's design for the sole of Dredd' boot on the cover? Brilliant stuff!

Fisticuffs

Cracking cover and Dredd story, far and away the highlight of the prog!