Main Menu

2000 AD At Comic Con 2010

Started by Robo-K33F, 07 July, 2010, 12:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Large48 on 08 July, 2010, 09:39:49 AM
Def need one of those T-Shirts, if any one is going I'll happily pay costs and some extra as a thank you....

:D

I'll book my flight, if you are paying costs  ;)

Richmond Clements

QuoteGreat teeshirt, you sure about that date?

Haha!

I've been proof reading stuff at work all morning and managed not to notice that!

das

yep the date is correct;

10:00-11:00 Anarchy In The USA: 2000 AD Invades Comic-Con— Pat Mills (2000 AD creator) and Keith Richardson (2000 AD graphic novels editor) discuss all things 2000 AD related with a focus on the new mass-market U.S. graphic novels line. Room 9
Categories:  Comics | Science Fiction & Fantasy

i live in s.f. its a 800 mile trip each way, how much do i want that shirt and maybe buy langley a beer ??!!
Confusion is Better Than Sex

Robo-K33F

Jock is now confirmed for the 2000 AD panel.

Woolly

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 18 July, 2010, 07:49:56 AM
Jock is now confirmed for the 2000 AD panel.

Ooooh, is he being allowed to show some of the movie designs?
Or will that still be guarded by secrecy?

das

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I WANT TO GO
if i had known a month ago that they were having an actual presence this year, i could have taken time off work and bear the mobs
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
at least the childrens librarian where i work says she will try to get me a shirt
Confusion is Better Than Sex

Emperor

Photo from BC:

www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/07/210720101130.jpg

From a larger set of photos of everyone setting up:

www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/21/runaround-san-diego-comic-con-2010-during-set-up/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

This is something that worries about 2000ad at Comic con. Don't get me wrong they know much more about the value of being there and all but when you compare the 2000ad stall to Marvel's golden throne

and the 20ft Destroyer robot about to be unleashed behind it

You kinda think they might get lost in the crowd? Maybe attending smaller events might mean they have a bigger impact? But then Maybe going to Comic Con is about meeting with people in the industry?

TordelBack

Hmmm, I see sweet-looking Harry 20 and DR & Quinch GNs (pimp that Davis), something else with what appears to be that thrown-together poster of Dredd with an M16 as a cover, a red thing that looks like it has a Cliff Robinson cover (part of 625?) on it... all very interesting.

And isn't that House of Usher in the centre of the pic?   ;)

TordelBack

And (Off Topic) what sorcery is this?

Richmond Clements

Dandontdare

Will there be a freebie sample comic again, which may even find it's way to subscribers like last year?

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 22 July, 2010, 08:24:15 AM
This is something that worries about 2000ad at Comic con. Don't get me wrong they know much more about the value of being there and all but when you compare the 2000ad stall to Marvel's golden throne

and the 20ft Destroyer robot about to be unleashed behind it

You kinda think they might get lost in the crowd? Maybe attending smaller events might mean they have a bigger impact? But then Maybe going to Comic Con is about meeting with people in the industry?

To be honest the Thor film announcements are probably going to be the big event of the con and everyone will be in its shadow (including Marvel trying to flog comics ;) ).

2000AD are really focused on breaking into the US market at the moment and you can't have a better beachhead than the SDCC. Although I agree appearing at other events like the New York one is also a good idea as they can be more personal and focused, so could be more effective.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Grant Goggans

Appearing at many, many other events is a far superior idea.

The Marvel booth up there is the Big Marvel Booth for that con, and that con alone.  Marvel has a presence at plenty of other shows, but it pulls out all the stops and goes crazy at this show.  So does DC, and Oni, and everybody else.  So there's basically two problems: firstly, while a huge amount of media is there, it is all focused on the booth with the great big throne and the giant Destroyer, and will care about as much about 2000 AD as AiT/PlanetLar, or all the other booths full of product from small publishers.

The other problem is that you need to connect with fans and, more critically, retailers.  I don't mean to be a broken record or a jerk about this, because it's come up more than once, but there were one or two people on this forum who were aggravated about a signing in London when they lived in Newcastle.  Having a single presence in the US at San Diego makes as much sense as having a single presence in Europe somewhere west of Kiev.

I understand that for a small British publisher to do *any* American shows represents a huge expense, and hope that maybe things with Simon & Schuster will go well and perhaps S & S can finance a presence at more American shows.

There again, if 2000 AD's formally announcing the Dredd casting tomorrow, then that will get some needed media attention, and bring more cameras and bloggers to their booth.  Here's hoping!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 22 July, 2010, 03:17:10 PM
There again, if 2000 AD's formally announcing the Dredd casting tomorrow, then that will get some needed media attention, and bring more cameras and bloggers to their booth.  Here's hoping!!

Actually that's kinda the point. Even if they did announce the Dredd casting or a 2000ad TV show (not that I'm saying for one minute thats going to happen) that'd been one story in a host of media stories at San Deigo. Where as it could be THE story at a different event (again I'm assuming a great deal here). A week of coverage over at CBR and Newsarama and other nerdworthy channels.

I Think a S&S sponsored presence at subsequent shows would have far more impact?