Main Menu

Sinister Dexter puns

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 October, 2020, 01:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Normally I hate puns as much as the next Earthlet, but the ones in SinDex are always a treat.  Rex Monday, for example.  Demi Octavo.  The lapdancing club called Straddle Various.  The fact-totem, which I only copped a year or two ago.  Rod and his Staff.  The Um Louts (I went to work in Germany the week after they were introduced and soon got the joke.) My favourite of all, the Hot Pot and News on the Square.  Genius!

It genuinely concerns me that I've probably missed loads of them.  I know a Tannenbaum is a Christmas tree, but I don't know if or how 'Moses' fits in.  Does Tracey Weld have any kind of double meaning?  Missy Solemnis?  Bronski Hammer?

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Bronski Hammer = Bronski Beat?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 October, 2020, 01:13:46 PM
My favourite of all, the Hot Pot and News on the Square.  Genius!

The sandwich bar called "Focaccia 'n' the Rye" remains peak Abnett-punning for me...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Woolly

I loved the 'Dead-Beats' myself - beat cops who'd died in duty, resurrected robocop style. Genius!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 October, 2020, 02:35:38 PM

Bronski Hammer = Bronski Beat?

Possible.

And Death Shall Have No Dumb Minions was a pretty good story title too.  Less clever but funnier was In Plain Shite.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 11 October, 2020, 08:00:59 AM
Fact totem?

I always thought it was based on Charles Bukowski's book Factotum. About someone who moves from bum job to job. Never read it but a friend told me about it...

...worried I'm wrong now!

Greg M.

A factotum is a servant. But yeah, with a range of jobs / duties.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 11 October, 2020, 08:41:56 AM
A factotum is a servant. But yeah, with a range of jobs / duties.

Oh so its an actual word as well... from which the book takes its title I guess... I've been over thinking it for years! Which is odd for me!

Greg M.

Baldrick would be a factotum. A dogsbody.

Dandontdare

JayzusB.Christ

The Enigmatic Dr X

I am cleary a dunce, but I get none of these. None.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

I get Demi Octavo with her being a singer and all, but am I missing something with Billi?
We never really die.