Main Menu

About the Mega City One Look...

Started by Gary James, 30 January, 2020, 02:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary James

From the comics only (ignoring the Judge Dredd and Dredd movies completely):

Which font is on the Justice Department posters and signage in-universe?
Are Judges vehicles - such as the Manta - carpeted, or are the interiors rather more spartan?

While I have more questions it seems wholly rude to be asking more from you in my initial post. You'll see what I'm doing with the info soon enough...  :D

pauljholden

Really up to each individual artist unless the script specifies otherwise.
(but a carpeted manta tank? MADNESS!)

-PJ

IndigoPrime

Judge Llewelyn-Bowen might have a few words to say about that, mind.

Bolt-01

Yeah, they really just need to be something you can mop the blood from easily...

Font-wise, there was a font called I believe -- Mega City that I can't quite find on this machine...

Gary James

Quote from: pauljholden on 30 January, 2020, 02:05:33 PM
Really up to each individual artist unless the script specifies otherwise.
(but a carpeted manta tank? MADNESS!)

-PJ

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time looking at various kinds of sheet metal and none of them really screams either "SF" or "Mega City One" - carpeting would make things much, much easier.

There are surprisingly comfy-looking seats in a few strips, so there is precedent for a step away from completely utilitarian interiors.

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 January, 2020, 02:13:01 PM
Yeah, they really just need to be something you can mop the blood from easily...

Back to staring at sheet metal...  :'(

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 January, 2020, 02:13:01 PM
Font-wise, there was a font called I believe -- Mega City that I can't quite find on this machine...

That's a start - something I can search for. Everything I have encountered thus far - from the usual places - seem somehow undignified.

JayzusB.Christ

I imagine the interior of a Manta looks functional rather than comfortable: something like the interior of a tank. Not that I know what the interior of a tank looks like.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Gary James

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 January, 2020, 08:59:38 PM
I imagine the interior of a Manta looks functional rather than comfortable: something like the interior of a tank. Not that I know what the interior of a tank looks like.

Really, really boring. No, more boring than you are imagining - go further. Eye-bleedingly, mind-numbingly boring. I've been clinging on to each and every tiny little thing that looks interesting (for, uh... *cough* something), and I want no part of tank-blandness in anything.

There are a few tanks (proper service vehicles) that do shows, as well as there being loads in private hands these days. Not that hard to get a look-see, and they are very depressing.

I've been looking at WWII vehicles (both in-service and experimental) to see what shapes can be shamelessly stolen, and they tend to look better than anything going around now - in armed services, anyways. Private contractor equipment is eye-wateringly gorgeous.

TordelBack

Realise Wagner's original fears - Manta interiors should look like an 18th C pirate ship, but with stuffed donkeys and paella pans everywhere.

Gary James

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 January, 2020, 06:26:46 AM
Realise Wagner's original fears - Manta interiors should look like an 18th C pirate ship, but with stuffed donkeys and paella pans everywhere.

Even if I thought it would be hilarious - and, yeah, there is much amusement to be had there - absolutely no way am I bringing dorn the ire of Wagner on my head. Uh-uh.  Nor do I want one of Pat Mills legendary reactions focusing on me. :lol:

There's a lot of information which is readily available, unfortunately most of it is very broad strokes - English Channel broad, if not less refined. Searching for "Judge Dredd" "fire extinguisher" brings up a slew of pictures of Dredd and photos of fire extinguishers, rather than a proper image of a Mega City One fire extinguisher. To be completely honest I can't actually recall a (non-run-of-the-mill) fire extinguisher being used.[1]

Same with med-kits, and other things one would imagine has been used countless times over the years. The glaring omission of a Dorling Kindersley[2] visual reference guide to the minutia of Mega City One is only really felt when you actually go looking for something.

The options for everything is immense, and trying to narrow down at least some parameters with search results isn't cutting it. The prospect of rifling through every prog to find exemplars of items is... well, bloody daunting.

I think I have about a week before the challenge begins in earnest[3], so having anyone point out which issues certain uncommon things were depicted (clearly) in would be awesome.

1. For the record - three hours solid searching, inclusing flisking through a small mountain of assorted TPBs, Megazines, Progs, and novels. And no, I haven't stumbled across anything helpful in the novels yet.
2. Normally I would suggest this as something which is desperately needed, but such a tome could not realistically be researched, image sourced, and published within the next month...
3. The fact that I'm involved in something usually tips people off that there is the whiff of crazy in the air, but this may be the task that scales the peak of absurdity.