Main Menu

Hivemind help - Dinosaur transfers?

Started by Ancient Otter, 27 October, 2011, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

David gibbons dry transfers, I have that copy with the transfers, some day that will go on ebay though. unlike the 2k collection.

found a couple of sets of the dry transfers on ebay for a couple of pounds, I think I may well be putting them in the christmas stocking this year for the family.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

SpetsnaZ99

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 October, 2011, 07:57:01 PM
ah, but I remember discovering that with care you didn't need to apply the whole transfer - i had a generic space one once and had hours of fun creating 6-armed spacemen and astronauts with alien heads by mixing two transfers!

I remember doing that too. creating lion-men from two different transfers. If i remember correctly they came in differing sizes, S/M/L. the large ones were daft money. One other thing i remember is they were banned at my primary school and you weren't allowed to put them on your schoolbooks.
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

mogzilla

i remeber the star wars ones ,i had a tatooine scene ...were they uncle remus or letraset?

vzzbux

You could get them in certain cereal packets as well IIRC. The scene was on the back.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Devons Daddy on 29 October, 2011, 07:08:14 AM
I wish to add
I saw the title, and was intrigued,  had images of big lorries and tazers in my head.

I thought it was a reference to Real Madrid's shock signing of Gorgo the Styracosaur.

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

TordelBack

Wow.  Santa brought me those very sets, my very first rub-down transfers (but not my last!) and I doubt I've recalled their existence in more than 30 years.  Now however I can remember the precise crinkle the tracing paper sheets made, and the extra thickness of the transfer sheet (far thicker than in later sets)... Memory is a strange thing!

Now I've gone googling for the Sink the Tirpitz! set and I'm lost in the past for the rest of the evening...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remus-Letraset-Action-Transfers-Sink-Tirpitz-/300586502485#ht_500wt_988

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Ancient Otter

Sorry for the necropost folks but I want to say thanks again for the help tracking these down  - they updated the Letraset website recently with pictures of them - Thomas Salter: 1000 BC The Savage Age Rub Down Action Transfers [1982]

Bat King

I saw this very kind of thing about 5 or 6 years ago somewhere but not since.

Similar things exist with peel off stickers of course. In some case the stickers are re-usable. Those aren't the same fun as these...

you could get everything from generic space stuff, western stuff, etc through to licensed things like Asterix, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica etc. There were different makes and you often got them free with cereals,  comics, etc.

Yes, the exact same idea would still sell.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Proudhuff

I loved these. Bought from Woolies every Saturday, the money I got for taking and collecting the Laundry was spend on one of these (that sentence won't even make sense to some younguns here),

Personal fav: Vikings!

Also doing mash ups, mixing 'leftovers' cowboys, dinos, spacemen... do you think this is how Pat Mills started?  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Grant Goggans

What you fellows called Letrasets, we called Presto Magix.  Some of them were incredibly odd.

Dandontdare

my dad was a printer & stationer and so as a kid we were never short of pens and paper etc - we also used to get sheets of letraset for text which were fun - I'm pretty sure I had the exact sheet pictured here.

SuperSurfer

Used to enjoy Letraset as a kid. I just about remember the small themed packs that were available in shops.
http://www.action-transfers.com/

I still have my Doctor Who Weekly no.1 with Dave Gibbons transfers which of course I immediately applied to the background scene. How we kids were easily pleased back then. 

As a student I came across a newsagent that had piles of cheap dried up Letraset lettering and Letratone (zip-a-tone). It was usually expensive stuff but I was able to use my small stockpile without being too precious. I recently found a sketchbook in which I used it. Will scan and upload.

Proudhuff

Seeing those Dr Who ones reminds me I used some of then in a Drink-zine strip I was involved in at the time.
DDT did a job on me