Main Menu

Manga Studio 4 - Reduce exported image size

Started by amines2058, 11 October, 2013, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amines2058

Still a novice with MS4 and for the past 2 monthly art comps I have exported my image as a JPEG out of MS4 so that I can upload it onto Photobucket then post it into the comp thread.
The exported image has always been about 25mb which fails to upload. I then have to return to MS4 try numerous attempts to try and reduce image size and fail. I usually then end up using Irfanview image software to reduce image to a useable size e.g. 1mb or less which finally allows me to post.
As this is a very long drawn out and annoying process is there a simple way of exporting an image from MS4 that is a sensible file size, that can be posted direct to Photobucket and then posted on the thread?
(I hope that makes sense!) This cuts out the irfanview middleman, and hopefully saves me a lot of time and hassle trying to get my art up without losing any image quality.

pauljholden

I'm mostly using ms5 now but it you can specify a percentage reduction in the ms4 export - set it to something reasonable ( for me it was 15%) you can also increase the jpg compression ( seperatly) but it sounds like you're not reducing the image size on export.

Jim_Campbell

In MS4, you got Export -> Image File (in pixels) then click the 'Specify Output Size' options, which will let you specify pixel dimensions in the boxes immediately below. Put something sensible like 800px wide and then make the resolution 72dpi or 96dpi for screen viewing and you're good to go.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

amines2058

Many thanks PJ. :) I will have a play tonight whilst working on the current art comp and see how it works out. Am thinking of upgrading to MS5 in the future but want to get familiar with 4 first before I need to learn any other new features. Really enjoy the software though as the past few months have been my 1st foray into digital art and I have found MS4 very easy to get into.

amines2058

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 October, 2013, 02:14:22 PM
In MS4, you got Export -> Image File (in pixels) then click the 'Specify Output Size' options, which will let you specify pixel dimensions in the boxes immediately below. Put something sensible like 800px wide and then make the resolution 72dpi or 96dpi for screen viewing and you're good to go.

Cheers!

Jim

Cheers Jim much appreciated. I think my problem has been not reducing the pixel size enough for fear of degrading the quality / detail of the image!

pauljholden

No problem with dropping the pixel size if you're exporting as a jpg (with greyscale or colour) if you make it a mono image it'll look awful.

BUT- this is far too small to print from. If you need to send to a printer, export as a full size PSD (manga studio 4 exports Tifs a little weirdly, so psd is the next best thing)

-pj