Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 October, 2019, 07:17:16 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2019, 10:08:55 AM
Rough one, Funt. As a professional kneeler* myself, you have my sympathies.

*Quiet down at the back!

I kneel a lot in my own job, but it's not so bad because I get to wear kneepads - which means I can take my Lawmaster (wheelbarrow) into the Big Meg (woodland) and use my daystick (hoe) and Lawgiver (trowel) on a multitude of perps (weeds). You got a permit to grow there, Creep?

Do you ever have call to use your lawrod?

The Legendary Shark

Not as often as I'd like, but I do spend many happy hours polishing my helmet...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

So today has been pretty spugging bad for the folks of Manchester. Fortunately wasn't in the Arndale when the absolute drokk head went nuts but a friend was. Not a good time for anyone involved, just hoping the wounded all pull through.

Bolt-01

Heard about it on the news, mate. Still waiting to hear from a couple of family as well who were in the city today.

Glad to hear you are good, though.

The Legendary Shark

It's rained in to my shed. All over my Mega Collection.

Bugger.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Aw, man. Sorry to hear it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, JBC. It's annoying but not the end of the world, I guess.

What is worrying me now is the future of the Strontium Dog page that Carlos gave me as a thank you for pulling together the Supersquirrel Undefeated Get Well Comic which is, thank Grud, undamaged. My shed is no place for this priceless piece of original artwork. I feel I should donate it to a museum or something, somewhere it can be looked after properly. (I don't want to sell it because it was a gift and to do so feels all kinds of wrong.)

Anybody got any suggestions (apart from "I'll have it," that is!)?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

That's proper shitty Sharky, but good to hear the Precious is undamaged. Let us know which volumes are most affected and I'll see if I can help you out with replacements - I don't have anything like them all, but for example I have an Apocalypse War right here at my elbow which I can pop in the post toot-sweet.

Wish I had a decent suggestion for what to do with the Carlos page. I'm thinking you could make like the Queen or a Guggenheim and loan the page for care/display while still retaining ownershipm but you'd need to find somewhere that'll appreciate it and recognise it for what it is,and I'm not sure art galleries or libraries are those places. Do you have a good comics shop anywhere nearby that you'd trust to hang it pride of place and keep it safe?

The Legendary Shark

That's very kind of you, Tordels, thanks. I haven't properly assessed the damage, yet, (too busy shifting stuff and plugging holes) but hopefully things won't be too bad.

Good suggestions, too - got a couple off Facebook as well, so I'll have to have a ponder.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

I wonder if Tharg would like to hang it in his lobby? Not many people would see it there, though, but it would be looked after and appreciated. Hmmm...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

...because I got hit with a massive round of 'corrections'* literally five minutes before I went in to see the Psychedelic Furs live for the first time in thirty years of being a fan. The Furs were great, but drinking water for 90 minutes in a night club because I knew I had to work when I got out took the shine off a bit.

*If you want to know what fucks letterers off more than anything else, it's a stealth re-write sent through as "corrections".
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 October, 2019, 06:55:22 PM
...because I got hit with a massive round of 'corrections'* literally five minutes before I went in to see the Psychedelic Furs live for the first time in thirty years of being a fan. The Furs were great, but drinking water for 90 minutes in a night club because I knew I had to work when I got out took the shine off a bit.

*If you want to know what fucks letterers off more than anything else, it's a stealth re-write sent through as "corrections".

Aye, nothing puts a dampener on a night out more than work pressure. Many's the time I've had trips away and nights out ruined by a single message or call from a dissatisfied client. At least you got to see the Furs anyway.  Also glad to hear they're still around.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Sometimes, when I see the art, I want to alter or even delete the words. If it's already been lettered, though, I tend to leave it be unless absolutely necessary. I like to look at the art before it's been lettered for this very reason but it's not always possible, I guess.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Ah, Sharky, gutted to hear of your bad luck. Hope that things improve for you.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Paddykafka, much appreciated. To be honest, I've lost so much stuff already (including hundreds of graphic novels and my entire collection of Progs and Megs and Warrior and... well, too much to list) that this only stung momentarily. At least I've still got my small collection of all the small press comics I've had stories published in*, and that's a big win for such a self-involved person as myself.

My mate used to say, with one of his body-wide chuckles, that if it wasn't for bad luck he'd have no luck at all. I'm beginning to see what he meant! :D

*except for a programme from one of the Dredd cons, which contained my story Dreddfall, illustrated by a recently upgraded droid. I missed out on getting one through faffing about. This is not a Bad Thing, however, as it gives me a J. R. Hartleyesque quest to look forward to once I'm through the current procession of crises, heart-attacks and befuddlement.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]