Main Menu

New board layout

Started by Wake, 09 April, 2002, 04:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

Well, what do you think?

You can still access the old version if you choose All instead of Summary at the top.

The thread and message pages are unchanged.

Wake

JTurner

Hmmm, does it announce when a thread has a new post?

It looks a lot tidier but I feel as though I have just moved house!

I miss the old message board, all those good times,"sob"

Also, on the old one, you could count how many times Scojo had posted, and then not read it! ;) (just kidding, Scojo, no need to e-mail me again)

Wake

If you want to stay with the old board then follow this link and bookmark it.

Link: Old Message Index

Wake

I've made it so that the last post time is in bold if it is less than 24 hours old and the number of replies is in bold if there are more than 9.

Wake

sigu

Thanks Wake, the new board seems to me much easier to use. Looks better too.

SiG

paulvonscott

How about between catagory and thread you have on of thos elittle plus signs you see on message boards.  When you click on it you can see the list of all the posts.  If you don't know what I mean, I'll try and find an example.

Oh and the bold type for over ten posts is distracting.  I'm not sure what that is supposed to be useful for.

2000AD Online

Ditto Si. It also means I'm not having to reconnect as often as I normally have to now I can scroll down instead.

Wake

I think I know what you mean for the + sign. It would basically give you the index for that thread as it still appears at the bottom of the messages. However, this would require a reload of the page. Do you still want it?

I've removed the highlighting for threads with at least 10 replies. Other boards have icons for 'hot topic' which do the same thing...but it doesn't add extra information.

Wake

paulvonscott

I'm not sure what you mean by a reload of the page.  Doe you mean every time we click on the '+' we get a page reload (god I'm thick I know), if so, then there doesn't seem much point.

The only think I would say from this board is that due to the rather web like way we respond to messages, viewing them in a linear chain doesn't make much sense.

Dean

Sounds silly but on the old board the title of a post would be 'dulled' out when visited. Very useful the day after a drunken evening reviewing the postings for avoiding postings already looked at.

Can this be done on the titles on the new board. If 'dulled' out we know we've been there before so the last posting date becomes more relevant. If I don't check the board for a couple of days it is handy having some sort of idea where I've been before.

Does any of that make sense??

Overall I think I will end up using both boards (having bookmarked the old one) so well done on improving it.

Dean

Doh!!

Just thought of something else, when we're in one thread can we have a button which takes us to the next thread without going back to the main board.

Makes going through all the threads much quicker on other message boards & would be good here.

2000AD Online

I think people should be happy with the little things in life.  I also think U2 are over rated.

paulvonscott

Any band that has been claimed to be the most popular band in the world in the last 20 years (e.g. Dire Straits, U2 or REM) has generally just reached it's most boring stage, where it's bland mutterings finally become 'okay' to a large percentage of the music buying public.

Wake

I've sorted the 'followed link' colour change. Since I've now included the number of replies as part of the link...your browser will notice if there have been new posts.

Wake

Wake

Last and Next thread links are now done. Plus...so long as you follow it once the link to the message index should stay brown until someone posts a new message (on any thread).

Wake