Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: Gary James on 15 February, 2020, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 15 February, 2020, 01:39:17 PM
It not having an arc structure (and remember no TV did back then, apart from soaps) doesn't mean they didn't have on going stories...
That isn't exactly the case - while there were plenty of shows which had vary, very loose continuity, there were enough pre-millennium shows with arc structures embedded in their fabric to make for a compelling list. Something such as NYPD Blue (which started as late as 1993, admittedly) might be the most notable, but the trend for continuing narratives in drama series stretches back to the fifties as far as US television is concerned.

You can laugh at this all you want, but... The first (B&W) season of Lost in Space is probably the best overarching story to be broadcast outside of the UK at the time of its release.

Good point. I had forgotten about NYPD Blue. But I'm not sure it was a full on arc...not by today's standards. The was still always the case of the day. The arcs were more to with Kelly, Sipowicz and Simone various battles with the mob, alcoholism, internal affairs etc.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops on 15 February, 2020, 02:51:19 PM
I would love Garak to show up at the vinyard. He and the Tal Shiar twins could play a fun game of pretending to have no clue who the other is.

Very much this ^^^^.

Wouldn't half go for Picard having to deal with Grand Nagus Quark, or a new Dax host.

TordelBack

Enjoyed Episode 4, hope Picard actually gets to hang on to his surrogate son this time, he's had so many.

But Rios is secretly a [spoiler]hologram too[/spoiler], right?

Steve Green

[spoiler]I'm not sure what's going on with Rios - whether there ever was a physical Rios, or the different Holograms are just aspects of the original's personality.

That 'I fucking hate that hologram' seemed a bit OTT if there's not something going on.

Has anyone in the show commented on why they all look like him yet?

[/spoiler]

TordelBack

And that reminds me: was that 'fucking' fucking necessary. Why Trek writers can't just accept that it's a family show I don't know.  It's all been downhill since Data's comedy swearing in Generations.

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 February, 2020, 04:42:45 PM
And that reminds me: was that 'fucking' fucking necessary. Why Trek writers can't just accept that it's a family show I don't know.  It's all been downhill since Data's comedy swearing in Generations.
There seems to be an obligatory two needless profanities per episode now. At least they got it out of the way early this time. I agree completely that the swearing is completely unnecessary and tarnishes an otherwise good show.

Things are moving forward, albeit slowly. I am loving the Romulan development. I always felt they needed as much attention as the Klingons. Is it too much to hope to see a Romulan/English dictionary in the future?

Surprisingly, outside of Picard himself, I'm enjoying the Dr. Jurati and the La Sirena holograms the most.

Dandontdare

I'm loving this.

Everyone talks about Patrick Stewart revisiting an iconic role, but props to Jeri Ryan - I really liked badass Aneka, and I hope she comes back before the end.

I hope that [spoiler]ditzy scientist doesn't get away with murder for long, or Picard's slipping in his Starfleet instincts -
How did he die with an EMH available?
Activate EMH
How did he die?
Bitch killed him
case closed[/spoiler]

wedgeski

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 February, 2020, 04:39:14 PM
Has anyone in the show commented on why they all look like him yet?
Raffi mentioned something about an existential crisis in the most recent episode -- he's obviously working through something!

Loved it as always. Jeri Ryan brought some serious grit to Seven, but I can't help thinking how much Admiral Jayneway would disapprove of her life choices! (Well, except that they were *choices*, which is the key thing I suppose.) Peed myself a bit when the Voyager theme swelled up.

Not really but it was cool.

von Boom

Listen very carefully. I shall zay zis aunly wonce.

Funny accents aside I did enjoy the episode, for the most part, especially Jeri Ryan's updated Seven. And Dr. Juarti just became very interesting.

Can't we have a series where Picard and Seven team up solving the Federation's problems? Add Worf and Quark and we can have a new A-Team.

JamesC

edgeworthy

Quote from: von Boom on 22 February, 2020, 05:22:56 PM
Listen very carefully. I shall zay zis aunly wonce.

Funny accents aside I did enjoy the episode, for the most part, especially Jeri Ryan's updated Seven. And Dr. Juarti just became very interesting.

Can't we have a series where Picard and Seven team up solving the Federation's problems? Add Worf and Quark and we can have a new A-Team.
Okay so that makes Picard Hannibal, Worf BA, Quark Face, and Seven Murdoch?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVonyVSQoM

Gary James

Quote from: JamesC on 22 February, 2020, 05:49:59 PM
The villain was called...Vajayzzle?  :lol:
Made all the worse by the fact she seemed to be wearing an outfit which appeared to be one of Gozer's cast-offs.

I'm more convinced than ever that this is, in fact, a Mad parody rather than the real thing.

And was that a LeMarchand Box?  :o

Greg M.

Quote from: edgeworthy on 23 February, 2020, 02:39:47 AM
Okay so that makes Picard Hannibal, Worf BA, Quark Face, and Seven Murdoch?

Got this odd feeling Reg Barclay might make a good Murdock - can't quite put my finger on why...

Just caught up with episodes 4 & 5. 4 was another glacially-paced outing from a writer who seems baffled by the concept of 'show don't tell' but by this stage I'm used to it. However, everything suddenly woke up for part 5, which is the most Blake's 7 episode of Star Trek ever. Ridiculous grimness on a collision course with high camp, and what do you know? It worked. Things happened. Patrick Stewart hammed it up to the (Seven of) nines. Silly outfits were worn. Space Commander Travis and Inferno-universe Brigadier were invoked. Some of it was actually fun; other bits were terribly unpleasant. (That was not a nice thing to do to a former Trek semi-regular.) Mad, daft, cruel - it may be all over the shop, but at least the shop's now open for business.

Shame they couldn't get Brian Brophy back though... his oleaginous Maddox would have been a treat.

shaolin_monkey

This was the first episode where I thought 'this is fun!'

Greg M.

Episode six continues last week's upward trend by being pretty good – the slow bits felt purposeful, rather than protracted, the Picard / Hugh reunion had some real warmth and was actually quite touching, and there was even a welcome nod to TNG: Birthright (and a more overt and rather arcane Voyager reference too.) Motoring along steadily now, with Elnor clearly emerging as the most likeable of the new characters.