Main Menu

2000ad on an IPhone

Started by Rio De Fideldo, 15 August, 2013, 10:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

Think that answers my question so, thanks.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Something Fishy

I know this is an old one but thought it worth raising. I am using an ipad but still find it a pain as I have to blow things up all the time to read them and am pinching every panel to navigate.

Would there be any plans to do some sort of guided view?  I find it just isn't easy to follow as it currently is.  I'd like to get back into the prog a bit but don't have anywhere nearbye, don't really want to sub and this is a bit sub par.

Dominic O'Rourke

I'm holding on for an oversized iPad.
Member No. 10

radiator

Do comixology have a patent on guided view?

Personally I never use it - being able to follow the flow of an expertly-composed full page of artwork is intrinsically linked to the joy of reading comics, and reading a sequence of isolated pictures just doesn't cut it for me.

Can imagine its a pain for the long-sighted, though, as the lettering on 2000ad is smaller than US comics.

radiator

Molch-R

Quote from: Something Fishy on 05 February, 2014, 02:58:45 PM
Would there be any plans to do some sort of guided view?

We've no plans to have a 'guided view' on our app, no.

IndigoPrime

Guided view reminds me somewhat of pan-and-scan DVDs; I get that some people like the focussing aspect of it, but it always felt reductive.

sheldipez

The only time I use guided view is for IDW's X-Files Season 10, makes me feel like I'm watching the show again :lol:

radiator

Certain comics are now formatted for 'guided view native', so are deliberately designed to read as a series of single images, but again I don't really like the experience. It's a bit like 'motion comics', a nice idea in theory, but a bit redundant in practice IMO. Maybe history will prove me wrong.

IndigoPrime

I remember buying an animated Atomic Robo comic in Comixology. It's the only Atomic Robo thing I've not liked. Too much energy seemed to have been expended on pointless animations, which looked like something from the lowest-budget of the cartoon shelf.

As for guided view, I do get it, but a lot of comics (in the hands of writers who know what they're doing) is about the timing, and guided view wrecks that by pulling the focus to a single frame. Then again, I wouldn't ever want to read a comic on a screen unsuitable for consumption. My iPhone's find for games and text, but not comics; my iPad's where I consume that kind of media.

sheldipez

Guided view can be handy for zooming in section by section on double page spreads like these which can be a bit of a pain to maneuver on even a ten inch screen.