Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

QuoteDefamation.

Infamy!  They've got it... etc.

INAL, but I'd be hesitant to take the offending e-mail to the cops just yet, simply for the (possibly irrational) fear that even raising the issue connects you with it in their minds, or worse yet, their files. Hang on to it, and if things can't be otherwise resolved by all means march down to the station, but I wouldn't do it as a first step.  

I say this because I was once in the wrong place at the wrong time during a combined anti-terrorist/drugs squad operation on a house I was renting, and while everyone verbally accepted that I was not connected in anything but an innocent way with the guys they were looking for (the owners), and I was neither arrested nor charged, a query through a family friend revealed my name still prominently attached to the case file.  I wasn't amused.  

The Legendary Shark

How sad that, in our society, the innocent have almost as much to fear as the guilty. Makes you wonder if the Nazis really did lose the War  :-\
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

House of Usher

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 August, 2009, 02:17:17 PM
I'd be hesitant to take the offending e-mail to the cops just yet, simply for the (possibly irrational) fear that even raising the issue connects you with it in their minds, or worse yet, their files.

I originally typed a longer and ironic message, which I scrapped in favour of keeping it simple. Something to the effect that of course the police don't have better things to do than to widen an investigation beyond the initial terms of the complaint (defamation) in the absence of any evidence that the complainant has committed any offence.

But I agree: collecting and retaining evidence is as important as letting the culprit know you're onto him and warning him against doing it again, and definitely more of a first step than going to the police. Who are pretty useless much of the time.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

I think that talking to this despicable dishonest POS will be quite enough.It will be a shock and a surprise for him when i do.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 August, 2009, 11:54:31 AM
Ouch.  Very sorry to read that Peter, hope it gets sorted.  Beware of carrying out any serious punching (although I can't think how else I'd react myself), as that's a whole other mound of trouble.

Its a shame that that option can lead to a whole other mound of trouble which is the only thing stopping me from introducing a fucking baseball bat to his head.

Repeatedly...

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: peterwolf on 06 August, 2009, 09:53:12 PM
Its a shame that that option can lead to a whole other mound of trouble which is the only thing stopping me from introducing a fucking baseball bat to his head.

Repeatedly...

Perhaps a cricket bat might be more in order; the larger, flatter barrel would distribute the damage to a wider area.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: locustsofdeath on 06 August, 2009, 09:58:50 PM

Perhaps a cricket bat might be more in order; the larger, flatter barrel would distribute the damage to a wider area.

Wet sand in a sock. Hurts like a bastard; minimal bruising.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DavidXBrunt

Quote from: peterwolf on 06 August, 2009, 09:53:12 PM

Repeatedly...

Even the greatest criminals can make a small mistake that leads to their downfall. His was announcing his intentions in advance, via a public forum...

Peter Wolf

Theres a very big difference between what i *feel* like doing and what i will or wont do and besides the wording in my post was clear enough.

Its not my actual intent but right now i am displeased and that was refelected in my comment.

Thoughts or feelings are not against the law and there is no such thing as pre-crime or the thought police yet and besides you would have to prove that that was my intent.I could say right now that i am going to jump off Beachy Head but it doesnt mean i am going to.

Read it again.

TordelBack

Feck me, but this economy lark is getting hard.  As of today we haven't got one single  project we tendered for in the past two months.  The most recent one, the preferred tender was 25% of ours (that's not 25% less, that's a quarter of our price), and we were cutting our own throats (® T.Pratchett) to get there anyway.   With 90% of us having lost our jobs in the last year, there's obviously a rake of hugely experienced folks who'd just rather be out doing something rather than nothing - hard competing with that.  Have the weekend to work out a schedule of redundancies.  Feels unusually hopeless for a sunny Friday.

SuperSurfer

... I had less than two hours sleep last night.

I suggested a meeting a few days ago with a supplier but didn't hear from them. Turned out they were expecting me yesterday as my email had gone nuts on me and I didn't get their message. So ended up working until 6am for a rescheduled meeting this morning. My plan was to finish meeting and go into town at my leisure as felt I earned the rest of the day off. But had a call while in meeting to say some other work had to be changed so rushed back to do that and just finished now. Knackered.

Kerrin

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 August, 2009, 11:57:41 AMHave the weekend to work out a schedule of redundancies.  Feels unusually hopeless for a sunny Friday.

Shit, that's harsh TB. 

It's a kick in the bollocks man and I'm sorry to hear it.

Roger Godpleton

I've always thought that peeing in the shower and/or sink was completely unacceptable in a civilized society, but recently I've become aware of the possibility of this not being the case.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

COMMANDO FORCES

Pissing in a sink was part of being in the military when the ablutions were based about 200 metres from your block.
We may have been able to do the 30 miler in under 6 and a half hours across the moors, but 200 metres is a lot further in the middle of the night ;)

TordelBack

Cheers Kerrin, but I've absolutely no right to be complaining, every other thing in my life is absolutely tickety boo right now, my brother and his wife are expecting my first nephew/niece this weekend, and I am the most fortunate of men in matters of health an family  - hence restricting myself to moaning here!  Life does not spug - but work or lack thereof certainly does.  If something has to suck, better it be that.

Please to ignore the following, just getting it off my chest.  Look away now!

It's been coming for a long time, two years at least, to the point where it's sort of old hat at this point, as long-term boarders can boredly attest.  Difference right now is that there doesn't seem any reason to hope things are going to improve even if we could hang on a bit longer.  We've plummeted down from 80 staff to 50 to 25 to 15, and now fuck knows - 5 for bit, and then none?   My business partner stupidly let a pile of good people go last year in a panic when there was no need, but I managed to re-hire most of them and we've been struggling along for the last year on the strength of their skill and hard work.  But when there's no work, there's no money, and when there's no money, there's no wages.  I just utterly hate putting good folk out on the street, especially this time when there really is absolutely no chance of them getting another job anytime soon.  You're just fucking up their lives in the worst way.  For some reason this weighs on my mind even more than the implications of bankruptcy and tax bills and overdraft guarantees and all that other good stuff.  

I know I do go on like this a lot, but I genuinely find moaning here quite therapeutic, particularly since right now I don't want to load troubles on my very, very pregnant wife, and most of my mates lost their jobs some time ago and frankly don't need to hear my tales of employer hardship.  

Anyway, who knows, a giant contract could land on us Monday morning and all this hand-wringing would be for nowt.