Main Menu

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Started by Goaty, 17 February, 2016, 04:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

I caught this at the weekend and I enjoyed it way more than the first one. Drax was the best thing in it for me (not Baby Groot) but he did laugh too much. Great CGI for [spoiler]young Ego / Kurt Russell[/spoiler].

Magnetica

I liked it. It was pretty funny in places. It didn't take itself seriously at all ( which actually became a bit of a problem ). Overall style over substance really, but as my brother put it a "feel good movie".

SIP

I caught this a second time, and though I still don't think that it was anywhere near the quality of the first one, my opinion mellowed and I did enjoy it more second time around.

TordelBack

Very enjoyable film, my kids absolutely adored the turd and penis exchanges, but I felt the Yondu & Rocket escape sequence dragged on a bit too long and highlighted again the overpowered nature of the knife missile arrow relative to every other weapon and beastie in the film. 

There was perhaps less of a sense of scale than was achieved in the first one, and I found Stallone quite distracting (and confusing), but it did a great job of feeling like a logical continuation of the story rather than a contrived sequel, or another piece in the MCU Infinity Gauntlet saga.

Drax and Mantis were surprise highlights for me. But my goodness did those end credits go on and on...

Still amazed that I get to watch this kind of high quality fun SF film on a regular basis!

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 May, 2017, 04:34:39 PM
highlighted again the overpowered nature of the knife missile arrow relative to every other weapon and beastie in the film. 

"Culture" fan?
Iain M. Banks is sorely missed. My favourite book series, such a loss that there will be no more.

Link Prime

Really late to the party on this one, but it's another two thumbs up from me.
A perfectly balanced soup of genre entertainment.
My only minor complaint was that it needed a bit more Ben Browder in the chowder.

Quote from: Greg M. on 06 May, 2017, 06:53:02 PM
It was also good to see [spoiler]some of the real Guardians, particularly Martinex and Charlie-27[/spoiler].

Hadn't a clue about those references as I was never into the comic.
So this is what most people experience when watching 90% of the post credits scenes.

As an aside for all the AFOL forum users; I can personally testify that the new Lego Milano set is just gorgeous, and goin dirt cheap on Amazon at the moment; https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-76081-Guardians-Faceoff-Abilisk/dp/B01J41HQ6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500026145&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+milano

TordelBack

That's a great set! No mean feat fitting 4 minifigs (and Groot) into a working cockpit on that size of kit. I love that they've built the interdimensional wotsit from bricks rather than using some boring cast pieces. But as always with these things, annoying that they've given us Nebula instead of Rocket, necessitating another purchase. And even though you get the gorgeous Mantis minifig with that second set, still you have to get another to get Yondu. Bastards.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 July, 2017, 01:28:04 PM
Bastards.

With a lower cap 'b'.
Of course I had to pick up a second set to get Rocket (the poly-bag of the minifigure alone cost more than the full set on online), but it was a fun set too.
I missed out on the 1st iteration of the Milano a few years back, and although it was much larger I prefer the look of the 2017 model.
Will be modifying it to create a larger cockpit and wingspan as soon as I get the chance.

Mardroid

Rara Avis

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 08 August, 2017, 10:43:27 AM
How did I miss this? Brilliant!

https://youtu.be/3MMMe1drnZY

Well it only came out Sunday! I've had that track on heavy MP3 rotation for months, but I still never imagined I'd be watching Karen Gillan and Zoe Saldana as backing dancers for David Hasslehoff. What a time to be alive.

Mardroid

I thought I recognised Zoe, but I didn't notice Karen! (I'm sure I saw her, I mean I didn't recognise her.)

Shame on me. Another viewing is in order..

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 08 August, 2017, 02:26:33 PM
I thought I recognised Zoe, but I didn't notice Karen! (I'm sure I saw her, I mean I didn't recognise her.)

Most of the cast is in there, I think, along with Gunn himself, although some are harder to spot than others. Hours of fun for all the family!

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 August, 2017, 02:59:48 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 08 August, 2017, 02:26:33 PM

Most of the cast is in there, I think, along with Gunn himself, although some are harder to spot than others. Hours of fun for all the family!

Okay, now you've mentioned her Karen is pretty obvious. I just didn't recognise her in that setting with the fluffy hair and makeup! (In my defence, I haven't yet seen GotG 2 and I forgot she was in it). I'm sure the guys are people I should recognise too, but the wigs and sunglasses shine so bright man!

Once I've seen the film, hopefully I'll recognise a few more. The video hasn't got old yet.

DaveGYNWA

That song, and resulting video, is the work of genius.

Rooker and Bautista (in the video) are fantastic.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?