Main Menu

Hi there!

Started by Apestrife, 10 July, 2012, 07:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Hi.

Started hanging out on the IMDB-forum for DREDD, but I figured this is a bit more well adjusted place to  discuss stuff.

Dredd is my fav. 2000AD, but I'm looking forward to discover more from 2000ad. I also love DC Vertigo, especially 100Bullets.

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to the upcomming movie.

/Carl

COMMANDO FORCES

Welcome aboard Borntohula,

I'm sure many people will point you towards some classic tales from the Prog over the next few posts. If you look at the trade collections that 2000 AD produce then you will find a wealth of stunning stories and obviously the new style 'Case Files' are amazing value for money and an excellent way of reading large swathes of stories in one handy edition.

I hope you have fun on the site and join in on many of the threads.

By the way, how did you get into Dredd?

Frank

Quote from: Borntohula on 10 July, 2012, 07:53:01 PM
Hi.

Started hanging out on the IMDB-forum for DREDD, but I figured this is a bit more well adjusted place to  discuss stuff.

Dredd is my fav. 2000AD, but I'm looking forward to discover more from 2000ad. I also love DC Vertigo, especially 100Bullets.

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to the upcomming movie.

/Carl

This place is certainly less mental than IMDB. Welcome, Carl.

Hairwolf

Welcome from another rookie :)

Apestrife

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 10 July, 2012, 07:59:35 PM
Welcome aboard Borntohula,

I'm sure many people will point you towards some classic tales from the Prog over the next few posts. If you look at the trade collections that 2000 AD produce then you will find a wealth of stunning stories and obviously the new style 'Case Files' are amazing value for money and an excellent way of reading large swathes of stories in one handy edition.

I hope you have fun on the site and join in on many of the threads.

By the way, how did you get into Dredd?

I'v actually read some of the epics (Cursed earth, Day the law died, The whole Judge Child saga, Apocalypse war, Necropolis, Origins) and some others. I'm a bit cliché and love America the most :) !

I got into Dredd early on through a monthly comic book in Sweden who ran alot Dredd. I think The day the law died was the first I read. And a couple of years later I decided to support a comic book store in my hometown by buying alot of those case files-books.

The biggest hook was that it felt a bit illegal to read such grim comics together with the fact that the satire was felt.

Quote from: bikini kill on 10 July, 2012, 08:06:38 PM
This place is certainly less mental than IMDB. Welcome, Carl.

A big reason to migrate to this place was promises that a certain mad-man isn't welcome here ;) By the way, I'v heard he's been mentioned in a prog in some way, know which one?

Quote from: Hairwolf on 10 July, 2012, 08:07:06 PM
Welcome from another rookie :)

Thanks, I'm sure we both will have a great time here :) !

Spikes

Quote from: Borntohula on 10 July, 2012, 08:52:20 PM
A big reason to migrate to this place was promises that a certain mad-man isn't welcome here ;) By the way, I'v heard he's been mentioned in a prog in some way, know which one?

Blimey, i didnt realise Pete Wells was Scojo, so thats why your all mean to him  ;)

Now then, and welcome Borntohula!

Apestrife

Quote from: Judge Jack on 10 July, 2012, 09:09:49 PM
Quote from: Borntohula on 10 July, 2012, 08:52:20 PM

Blimey, i didnt realise Pete Wells was Scojo, so thats why your all mean to him  ;)

Now then, and welcome Borntohula!

You know which prog :D ? It's almost surreal, both his madness and that it'd actually got him mentioned in the comic.
The movie having a writing on a wall "Judge Minty Rules" is a bit better me thinks ;)

darnmarr

Välkommen, BorntoHula!

Charlie boy

Hello BorntoHula.
Noticed your mention of Dredd etc, what I'm about to mention is for you and the more knowledgeable folk on the forum combined:
I remember when I was still really young and a friend of the family gave me a load of Dredd comics to read and at the time he told me they were already pretty old. I remember a lot of the run was getting a lot more on the horror side. Maybe I've misremembered cos of the time that has gone by, but I'm pretty sure there was actually one story were Dredd was turning into a werewolf. Does anybody actually remember this run or has my mind just remembered something entirely different?

Frank

Quote from: Charlie boy on 26 July, 2012, 01:24:13 PM
I remember when I was still really young and a friend of the family gave me a load of Dredd comics to read and at the time he told me they were already pretty old. I remember a lot of the run was getting a lot more on the horror side. Maybe I've misremembered cos of the time that has gone by, but I'm pretty sure there was actually one story were Dredd was turning into a werewolf. Does anybody actually remember this run or has my mind just remembered something entirely different?

CRY OF THE WEREWOLF

darnmarr

Drawn pretty excellently by Steve Dillon, if memory serves.

U.S.S.R

Hey dude, have a blast! :D
Gays into the Fist of Dredd!

Apestrife

Quote from: darnmarr on 26 July, 2012, 12:01:34 PM
Välkommen, BorntoHula!

Tjenare, du med. Blev jag avslöjad av någon svengelska hehe?

There werewolf story looks great haha.

And about being new and introduced to Dredd. I will try to introduce a friend to Dredd by the case files 5, I hope it's to much of a jump start. "Gaze into the fist of Dredd" and the the insanity of Apocalpyse war. I mean, he's likely to piss himself, but what if his heart explodes? Good or bad idea?

darnmarr

My first Dredd-story was the Dillon-drawn 'alone in a crowd' in prog 205 (case files 4). It's a stand-alone six-pager that I still think is the perfect introduction to the city and the character: it's beautifully drawn and depicts Dredd from the point of view of the frightened citizen, sandwiched between criminal thugs and the brutal state solution to them.

But that's just my opinion.