Main Menu

Misheard lyrics

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 04 July, 2014, 11:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

auxlen

A song by REM...I always sing 'come and get your bacon now!'

I don't know the song as I'm not a fan.

James Stacey

I thought it was call me cheryl baker now!

Dandontdare

Quote from: auxlen on 15 September, 2015, 04:05:25 PM
A song by REM...I always sing 'come and get your bacon now!'

I don't know the song as I'm not a fan.

It's from sidewinder sleeps tonight, and I always heard it as "coming in to Bakersfield".

I discussed it  a while back with a REM fan and it's actually "Call me when you try to wake her up", but at least one syllable is completely swallowed. Now that I know, I can hear it.

If you listen closely to that song, even Michael Stipe stumbles at one point (just after the Dr Seuss line) and you can hear him almost crack up.

TordelBack

Wasn't there a thing where Stipe deliberately mumbled or under-ennunciated lyrics to create enigmatic sound-poems, hiding the fact that the lyrics didn't actually make any sense? Not that I have a problem with that approach personally, allows you to read what you want into things.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: James Stacey on 15 September, 2015, 04:28:17 PM
I thought it was call me cheryl baker now!

This is clearly what Mike does sing. No doubt about it.Love thay song and been singing it for years.

Eric Plumrose

"This is the heavy, heavy monster sound. The Naziest sound around . . ."
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Eric Plumrose

"Tall. Blond. Dark, and lean. Rubbered-up and strong and mean . . ."
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Rackle

As a kid of the 80s I was convinced Madonna was singing about The Nativity from the point of view of Angel Gabriel in the song "Like a Virgin".   I swore blindly the song went "Like a virgin / I've got some very good news" which my family ribbed me for ever since.

Jim_Campbell

I'm a Fields of the Nephilim fan... it's more surprising when I can decipher a lyric correctly!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 September, 2016, 08:59:48 AM
I'm a Fields of the Nephilim fan... it's more surprising when I can decipher a lyric correctly!
Not being that big a FotN fan, how many listens does it usually take you before the lyrics click?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 September, 2016, 09:17:46 AM
Not being that big a FotN fan, how many listens does it usually take you before the lyrics click?

Sometimes never! It's far more conducive to the listening experience to treat the vocals as another instrument in the overall sound (I don't find not speaking German an impediment to enjoying Rammstein, for example). FotN have never been big on publishing lyrics -- Elizium is their only album with a full set of lyrics, and I think the impenetrability of the vocals is part of the charm.

Almost all the online versions of the lyrics are flawed transcriptions by a listener but occasionally something emerges that sheds a bit of light -- there's a hand-written (by Carl) copy of the lyrics floating around that reveals that that refrain of 'Moonchild' is "LURE me down", and not "LOWER me down, as every lyric transcription everywhere has it...

Rackle

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 September, 2016, 09:34:54 AM

there's a hand-written (by Carl) copy of the lyrics floating around that reveals that that refrain of 'Moonchild' is "LURE me down", and not "LOWER me down, as every lyric transcription everywhere has it...

Oh my goth! After all these years I've been singing "lower me down" - for the very fact I couldn't source official lyrics.

I also messed up what I heard in the verse: "Take your horses / Let them crawl / Put them in their cages / That's righteous for your soul"

I heard "Take your horses / Leather and cowl / Put away (the) cages / It's right for their souls".
:-[
I feel daft now.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rackle on 14 September, 2016, 11:33:05 AM

Oh my goth! After all these years I've been singing "lower me down" - for the very fact I couldn't source official lyrics.

As did I, TBH. I worked out a while back that I listen to 'The Nephilm'* right through about once a week, which means I've probably heard it well over a thousand times and there are still whole passages I'm a long way from being certain about.

I feel daft now.

Ha. I wouldn't! I suspect one of the reasons 'Last Exit' is such a live favourite is because it's the only track on The Nephilim with a full set of lyrics buried in the album design and is the only song everyone knows the words to! It was years before I got 'Psychonaut's "Sweet nectar, for a thousand young..."

*Minus the 'bonus' track, 'Shiva', obviously, whose inclusion I consider an act of musical vandalism on what is otherwise one of the all-time, capital-G, Great rock albums.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 September, 2016, 11:56:30 AM
Quote from: Rackle on 14 September, 2016, 11:33:05 AM

As did I, TBH. I worked out a while back that I listen to 'The Nephilm'* right through about once a week, which means I've probably heard it well over a thousand times and there are still whole passages I'm a long way from being certain about.
And judging by the hand actions in all the goth clubs I've ever been to (plus festivals) - that's what everybody else thinks too :-)
I feel daft now.

Ha. I wouldn't! I suspect one of the reasons 'Last Exit' is such a live favourite is because it's the only track on The Nephilim with a full set of lyrics buried in the album design and is the only song everyone knows the words to! It was years before I got 'Psychonaut's "Sweet nectar, for a thousand young..."

*Minus the 'bonus' track, 'Shiva', obviously, whose inclusion I consider an act of musical vandalism on what is otherwise one of the all-time, capital-G, Great rock albums.
I have Shiva, but not on The Nephilim - definitely on Revelations, and possibly on a B-side somewhere.

We have the day off work - wonder what we'll spend all day doing now...

Of course, now we're purposefully mishearing the lyrics.

When the doughnuts rise
From their kormas rise...

Rackle

Quote from: sheridan on 14 September, 2016, 12:11:02 PM

I have Shiva, but not on The Nephilim - definitely on Revelations, and possibly on a B-side somewhere.

We have the day off work - wonder what we'll spend all day doing now...

Pulling down cobwebs and screwing in lightbulbs (aka goth dancing to the uninitiated) whilst I fondly remember how much of a crush I had on Mr McCoy back in the days.

Oh, and maybe reading this weeks Prog, whilst I brush up on The Ballad of Halo Jones