Main Menu

Sony's death wish?

Started by Wils, 27 May, 2006, 11:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

Yet *another* reason not to buy a PS3: Lumbered for eternity with games you've completed or don't like.

Link: http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035§ionId=1006" target="_blank">Corporate suicide!

Buttonman

It would be a laugh to see them try to enforce that on ebay. The standard way round it is to sell a bottle top or something with a free PS3 game. Greedy corporate bastards.

Bico

Ahhhh...

'www.GAMESRADAR.com'

And it all becomes clear...

judge dreddd

yea, i am sure no kids in the playground will ever swap games !!!

is it legal to swap games as opposed to sell them, i doubt very much that such a transaction would be illegal

Wils

And it all becomes clear...

Erm... I'm obviously missing something here.

Bico

My brother is a regular on the site, and the amount of bile and bullshit is legendary.  He actually mentioned that story to me and maintains that it's a bit of a fib - though if that were the case, it sounds libelous to me.

Keef Monkey

If that's true it'll be a blow to the shops, they make a lot more of the 2nd hand stuff apparently.

WoD

I've gone from being pro-sony, via indifferent, to all the way to f-em.  The price on the PS3 is just stupid, and everything else seems to get worse from there.

Keef Monkey

They say they can't use the Dual Shock because it interferes with the tilt sensor, which may be the case, but the truth is they couldn't use it if they wanted to because they lost a law suit to the people they stole the technology from. Allegedly.

The Amstor Computer

IIRC, this story cropped up last year and was denied by Sony at the time. It's not clear whether this is just that same story making a reappearance or not, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sony were actually looking at something like this - given the recent fiasco over the nasty software they were leaving on audio CDs I wouldn't put this past them.

The secondhand market has been a bit of a thorn in the side of games companies for a while, but I think they have to look at a better solution than trying to kill it off entirely.

The Amstor Computer

Keef --

Heh, quite. Unfortunately for Sony, their claim that rumble had been dropped because it interfered with the motion sensors came right before everyone got a chance to try out Wii games at E3 - on a motion-sensitive controller complete with rumble :-)

It may well be the case that Sony's particular way of implementing motion-sensitivity is susceptible to rumble, but it does seem a tad odd that rumble was dropped just after they lost a legal battle against Immersion, the company whose rumble tech they ripped off...

Wils

given the recent fiasco over the nasty software they were leaving on audio CDs

Tell me about it. Earlier in the week, Cait told me that a load of games on her PC were strangely deleted as soon as she put a Bowling for Soup cd in the drive. I had a look on the back of the jewel case... Lo and Behold! A BMG logo! Twats.

Rob Spalding

I heard about this a while ago, think it may well be true.

Dog Deever

Sony are utter wankers, so are Microsoft. Whats new?
I wouldn't have a PS3 unless you paid me (and gave me some games). It will probably break down a couple of months after the 1 year warranty is up. Just like all of their cheap lousy machines.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Meathook

So what about Car Boots and the like where you can freely sell your unwanted items. Are Sony telling the public that they can't re-sell the games?As if anyone will take notice!!! Ha Ha F... 'em is what I say too!!
Each peach pear plum!