Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Read 'God Hates Astronauts'  Vol. 1 and BLOODY HELL it's brilliant. Quite bonkers but also very possibly the funniest thing I've read in comics for literally years.

Picked this up as part of an Image Humble Bundle and worth the price alone. Wonderous stuff, quite mind boggling. If my reading list wasn't so stupidly long I'd be snapping the rest of this up now. As it is I'LL wait for the next Image digital sale and feverishly purchase everything last thing I don't currently own... as should you...

YES YOU!

futureimperfect

Just read the collected Savage Wolverine. For someone who hasn't read a marvel book in a long time I found it quite enjoyable. The art was spot on, and the violence was good too. Some severed limbs and even [spoiler]The Hulk[/spoiler] getting claws driven into the top of his skull :D Considering that I didn't know the background of the other characters involved it was very easy to get in to, and I will be sure to get more similar works. 7/10

dweezil2

Unfollow #10. Still following Rob Williams' exciting and pertinent social media thriller.

Beast Wagon #4. Fantastic and, a times, quite trippy indie comic set in a zoo with talking animals-includes a turtle with messianic tendencies.
At times laugh out loud funny with beautiful Dave McKean-esque art.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Apestrife

Garth Ennis - Dreaming Eagles

Great story about some  Tuskagee airmen. Afro americans who fought nazis in the sky, and racists at home. Ennis script has a nice timely feel to it. Simon Coleby's art is splendid, I couldn't almost help myself from doing a "wrooom" sound when reading some of the panels. Everything from planes passing by to people falling bloody from the sky, it all has a certain weight to it.

Dandontdare

The wicked + the Divine by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie. Bit of an impulse buy, really enjoyed it and ordered books 2 & 3. I read the FCBD teaser for Phonogram by these creators and didn't like it at all - I could see what they were trying to do with a music-themed comic, but the premise just didn't work and I found the characters annoying. This one is not exactly free of cliches, but I like the central idea - every 90 years 12 gods become incarnated in young host bodies - they spend 2 years seeking worship and "inspiring" the world and then die. In the 21st century this means careers as pop stars. Nice art and just enough hanging plot threads to make me want to keep reading.

Tombo

Spoiler free warning - Volume two of Wic+Div ends with one of the biggest WTF! moments I've ever read in a comic.

Im_not_Frank

Chuck Palahniuks Make Something Up. My first and probably last Chuck Palahniuk book. I read the first 3 stories (and I was being really generous making it that far) Just could not get into it at all. An acquired taste I suppose. Luckily my copy of Gun Machine by Warren Ellis turned up the same day. I'm about a third of the way through and loving it. You can literally be laughing on one page and shocked by something horrific the next.

Theblazeuk

Fight Club is great though. Both movie and book. And they take about the same amount of time to get through.

Gun Machine is something else - loved that and crooked little vein

Apestrife

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 August, 2016, 12:01:19 PM
Fight Club is great though. Both movie and book. And they take about the same amount of time to get through.

Read the sequel?

Grugz

picked up the complete spawn manga series the other day what I did forget was the reading it the wrong way round which is a struggle when ive been reading left to right for 45 years

still its cracking !
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Grugz on 18 August, 2016, 09:09:20 PM
picked up the complete spawn manga series the other day what I did forget was the reading it the wrong way round which is a struggle when ive been reading left to right for 45 years

still its cracking !
Huh, the Juzo Tokoro stuff? Interesting, i'd heard of it but being new to Spawn i'd not got around to it. I'll have to bump them up a little on my too buy pile, I like Tokoro's spin-off on Hell Teacher Nube in the Jump.

Theblazeuk

Apestrife

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 19 August, 2016, 11:38:25 AMNah I have to admit the thought didn't appeal :)

I liked it much better than I thought I would. Quite different from what I imagined, and I'm happy for it :)

Mute77

Just finished the first two Goon library editions and really enjoyed 'em..the artwork alone pops out of the page and the next stories are meant to get darker in tone. Its also funny and touching...would recommend this!

Fungus

A few memoirs, picked up at recent cons and given a chance...

Plans We Made (Simon Moreton)
A GN of the most truly minimalistic art you'll see. US/Canadian pricing & distribution (not UK) and I hoped to get more from it than transpired. The pages that are genuinely blank are not out of place. You get the idea. Takes 'filling in the blanks' to new heights. A 'statement', I guess.

Kathryn Briggs
Triskelion 1-3; Magpie; Story (Cycle)
Unashamed 'arty' comics and as a fan of the genre I looked forward to these. Turns out, the art didn't stand up to close scrutiny as hoped, and my own thick-headedness meant most came across as pretension, unfortunately. Magpie the most accessible, biographical and accessible, I'd recommend this book at least.

Alex Hahn
Going Home
Post Conatus (vol. 1)

The former was a hugely pleasant surprise, angsty with simplistic but confident art and genuinely funny observational episodes (set out in diary form, page per day). Post Conatus a lengthier and bigger-format book, excellent if not quite so punchy. Looking forward to Vol. 2 whenever that appears.