Main Menu

2000AD iPad app - will you be making the Megazine available through it too?

Started by Hap Hazzard, 20 September, 2012, 05:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hap Hazzard

Hey admin.
I'm an older squauxx, showing my age here but I was 5 when 2000ad was first starting and I've been hooked since prog 1. I've recently gone over to the digital revolution and am getting my subscription via the new 2000AD app on my iPad.  It's FANTASTIC.  Best way to get the progs, wish I'd had this since those rug rat days.  But can someone let me know what's happening regarding the Judge Dredd Megazine?  Will you be making a Dredd subscription possible in a coming update to the 2000AD app, or are you working on a separate Judge Dredd Megazine app too? 

Please make this possible one way or the other. Any info from anyone would be much appreciated.

That's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

Hap Hazzard

Bump.  Still waiting, drokk it.  Seeing the tease for the upcoming Megazine sequel to the Dredd movie coming in September makes this even more urgent, and I know I'm not the only ex-pat long time reader who relies on the app for their thrill-power.....

DrJomster

You probably know, but just in case... You can download direct to your iPad from the 2000AD shop using the PDF reader app "GoodReader". That works very well.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Hap Hazzard

Thanks Doc...I'll check it out for the interim, but to be honest I think 2000ad are missing a trick by not having Dredd available through their own app, because to be fair the app itself is superb. Being able to remove older issues as you fill up the drive but have them still available to download again, so you can't ever lose them, is a terrific thing. I'd think a lot of us digital subscription wallahs would like to have everything under one app roof, so to speak.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Hap Hazzard on 12 April, 2013, 07:31:55 AM
I think 2000ad are missing a trick by not having Dredd available through their own app

They aren't, they're working on it.

Hap Hazzard

Molch-R

Hap Hazzard

Molch-R

Hap Hazzard

Richmond Clements

How many staff do you think there are working on 2000ad, putting out five comics a month and a range of graphic novels? And how much time do you think that have after doing that to do more stuff?

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 April, 2013, 07:06:31 AM
How many staff do you think there are working on 2000ad, putting out five comics a month and a range of graphic novels? And how much time do you think that have after doing that to do more stuff?

Enough time to put snarky replies to a genuine question from a member of the paying audience, obviously.  A simple "it's being worked on, maybe this year, maybe next year" or even "no plans at present" would have sufficed. 

pauljholden

What's really needed is an FAQ (I have vague memories of one existing... but it might be a throwback to the ancient days of the 2000ad newsgroup...)

re: Megazine question: from what I remember they were working on it, unsure why it's turning out to be more complex than just bunging the comic in to the 2000Ad app, but my guess is (and what follows is pure speculation) the front end would need a total rewrite, the backend probably needs some work and then there's a scalability factor - the file sizes of the megazine are going to be bloody massive, and that may be more of a headache than we can imagine. Offset all of that against the fact that 2000AD - like everywhere - has limited resources and has to pour those into what will have the most impact.

-pj