Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

I really enjoyed Overcooked on the Switch -and it has cooperative / vs. play.

Switch is fairly robust, but a Screen Protector and/or carry case will definitely help.

Getting an extra pair of Joycons is useful too as you can then do 4-player split-screen games.

Colin YNWA

Thanks both that's really useful, will defo check out those game. A colleague was also kind enough to share his Amazon wish list for other things to go with his new Switch... this made me want to cry a little as they all seemed from useful to essential and ... well there's a lot!

GrudgeJohnDeed

What Radiator said!

Mario Kart, Zelda, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Odyssey, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, all the obvious big hitters from Nintendo will be fine for the kids, and fun for you too! If the kids are into runners in particular there is a game called Runner3 on there that's the latest in a series of prestigious rythmic runner games -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6R5lHlTv3k

Super Meat Boy Forever is out in April, and that's going to be a runner unless they changed it! The original SMB was fantastic so expectations are high. May contain some light potty humour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eILvkKnMxWY

Colin YNWA

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 17 January, 2019, 01:05:42 PM
. May contain some light potty humour

The kids are 7 and 9. Potty humour is almost obligatory! Runner 3 looks superb though.... hmmm interesting one to add to the mix...

radiator

Worth saying that the eShop has regular sales, so you can create a wishlist of games and pick them up when they're cheap(er). You also essentially get a little store credit for every game you buy, which can be put towards future purchases.

radiator

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 January, 2019, 12:46:59 PM
Thanks both that's really useful, will defo check out those game. A colleague was also kind enough to share his Amazon wish list for other things to go with his new Switch... this made me want to cry a little as they all seemed from useful to essential and ... well there's a lot!

I wouldn't worry - one of the best things about the Switch is that it offers portable two player functionality straight out of the box. I wouldn't really say any extra accessories are essential - though I'd recommend a screen protector and possibly a travel case, both of which you can pick up pretty cheap.

Additional controllers, SD cards etc you can pick up as and when you need them.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Outrun, but MAN is it hard.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

Mario Kart aside, there's a real lack of good driving games on the Switch at the mo. I'd love a port of Outrun: Coast to Coast or something along the lines of a Gran Turismo or Forza type of game.

Colin YNWA

Hard might not be what we're after. I'm typically rubbish at games.

Well remind me not to ask you lot about what games to get again. So far I defo want Runner 3, Ultimate Chicken Horse and Overcooked (and 2!)... this is gonna get expensive...

Apestrife

Finished TRAVIS STRIKES AGAIN: NO MORE HEROES last night. Haven't been this surprised by a game in years. Loads to unpack. Everything from the way it manages to connect to the director's Suda51 former games and also to possible future ones to the story on game devolpment, all this under the guise of being a quirky no more heroes smash tv coop spin off game.

The only thing I think holds it back is some of it's levels being a bit too long, which the game even recognises and comments on (this is similar to the long ladder climb in MGS3, or Jeep ride in V. Apperantly a "joke"), and (for an hour or so in) the combat seems like it could grow old --BUT then you start unlocking skill chips (adding combos) and new enemy types pops up. My interest in the combat really rocketed from there. Can't wait to lvl up and find more skill chips and try the higher difficulty levels. Also, finding more t-shirts (all of them with a cool indie game logo on it)

All and all. I highley recommend it. It's insane and fun (even if at times at the expence of some of the gameplay). And from what I understand one doesn't need to be very invested in Suda51:s game to "get it". Bit akin the to the latest Avengers movie. It gives you what you need, and just like watching Star Wars for the first time: not knowing what everything is can feel like quite the ride.

Fair warning. If someone doesn't like text, the game (one of the games in the game is a text adventure) has a lot of it. I found it hilarious, but perhaps not everyone will. Also, the COOP bit. I haven't touched it yet and still had a blast.

Here are some trailers if this sounds interesting to some of you.
https://youtu.be/KG24TTOhg_A
https://youtu.be/l5AA85h12b0
https://youtu.be/MeNHojMlOFk

ALSO: In each of the game worlds, if you don't press a button at the "press a button" screen you're greeted with game intros (for each boss) akin to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqrkukJcIkw Awesome right?  :D

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Apestrife on 27 January, 2019, 08:32:09 AM
Finished TRAVIS STRIKES AGAIN: NO MORE HEROES last night.

Look will you lot stop showing me games that look bloody amazing. Wow I like the look of that so its added to the already tooo long list.

Anyway I got one of these things now - introduced it to the kids yesterday the boy child declared as I put him to bed "Best. Day. Ever".

Alas I also realised at 11 o'clock last night as I dragged myself reluctantly off my daughter quite superb game 'Cat Quest' that of course the Nitendo Switch is the work of the devil and I have sold my soul to it. You buggers could have warned me...

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 January, 2019, 10:50:00 AM
Quote from: Apestrife on 27 January, 2019, 08:32:09 AM
Finished TRAVIS STRIKES AGAIN: NO MORE HEROES last night.

Look will you lot stop showing me games that look bloody amazing. Wow I like the look of that so its added to the already tooo long list.

Anyway I got one of these things now - introduced it to the kids yesterday the boy child declared as I put him to bed "Best. Day. Ever".

Alas I also realised at 11 o'clock last night as I dragged myself reluctantly off my daughter quite superb game 'Cat Quest' that of course the Nitendo Switch is the work of the devil and I have sold my soul to it. You buggers could have warned me...

Lovely to hear :)

I almost feel like a youngling again. So many amazing games on it. Love being able to buy new 2D games on cartridges again :)

I own the following physical games:
Dead Cells
Dark Souls
Smash bros
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Travis Strikes Again
Steamworld Dig 2
Darkest dungeon
Cave story
Binding of Isaac
Bayonetta 1-2
Mario kart
End is nigh
Axiom Verge
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Dark souls is the current focus. Will soon start playing Zelda again. Then I got a couple of 2D games to finish till Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove comes out in April.

Tiplodocus

A bit upset that Metroid Prime 4 s being sent back to the drawing board.

But happy that WARGROOVE (Advance Wars but with dragons) is out on 1st Feb. Advance Wars ruined my life! In a good way.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

wedgeski

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 January, 2019, 02:51:45 PM
A bit upset that Metroid Prime 4 s being sent back to the drawing board.
I'm bummed by this too. Plenty of stuff to love on the Switch while I'm waiting though.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just received my Flipgrip from Kickstarter. This is a doo-dah that lets you hold the Switch vertically but with the controllers either side, for playing old style arcade games.
Lock up your spoons!