Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

C4's Run has been pretty solid so far this week.
Some fine performances and writing.
Will defo stick with it for the remaining two episodes.

Frank

The Secret Life of Uri Geller, BBC TWO, 9:00 PM, Sunday 21st July 2013, and available on iPlayer soon after

Promises to be a documentary conflation of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and The Men Who Stare At Goats. Geller's vague claims regarding his 30 year covert career as a psychic spy in the service of Mossad and the CIA seem improbable, but then so do many of the things with which both agencies have definitely been involved.

Spikes

The recently shown, and totally brilliant two-part documentary, detailing the life, and work of Woody Allen is now up on the i-player.

'Bout time they starting re-showing some of his films, me thinks. Make this happen, Aunty...

Spikes

Shown earlier in the week, and repeated last night - Piper Alpha: Fire in the Night.

An incredibily affecting documentary - and one that conveys (either by using original footage, or from reenactment, along with testimonies of the survivors), the absolute hell those poor men found them selves up against. Strong stuff.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 25 July, 2013, 05:31:02 PM
The recently shown, and totally brilliant two-part documentary, detailing the life, and work of Woody Allen is now up on the i-player.

Spent a good part of the weekend ploughing through both parts of this. I'm a sucker for showbiz biographies, and Allen's is as odd and endearing as those of the characters featured in Broadway Danny Rose. Well worth a look, and it made me realise I've missed more of his films than I thought.

Goaty

13 Assassins on FilmFour at 9pm, that is great enjoyable film!

Frank

Quote from: Goaty on 31 July, 2013, 08:49:41 PM
13 Assassins on FilmFour at 9pm, that is great enjoyable film!

I haven't seen this before, but it's pretty good so far. It's just about to start on Film Four+1.

Goaty

The Children on BBC tonight, don't read any spoilers, just watch it...

IAMTHESYSTEM

Judge Dredd  Stallone version  on 5* [pronounced Five Star] Channel tonight at 9.00 PM for those with strong nerves. 

See it for the production design and that Rico joke 'Now who says Politics is boring?' as he guns down the Senior Judges.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mabs

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 14 August, 2013, 12:58:54 PM
Judge Dredd  Stallone version  on 5* [pronounced Five Star] Channel tonight at 9.00 PM for those with strong nerves. 

See it for the production design and that Rico joke 'Now who says Politics is boring?' as he guns down the Senior Judges.

Yeah, the production designs is one of the reasons why I'd watch it. And the Mean Gang ain't bad too.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Goaty

And I still dont understand Judge Dredd plot!

amines2058

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 14 August, 2013, 12:58:54 PM

For all of that films faults, of which there are to many to mention, the few things it did get right for me were the designs of Hammerstein and Mean Machine. Both of which looked perfect to me. Plus the Cursed Earth and some of the shots of MC1 looked good.
I just wish it had been done right the first time so now we would be petitioning for Dredd 16 - Fatties!

Albion

11.00 tonight on BBC4 there is a documentary about the great John Cooper Clarke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jcdbc
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Spikes

Quote from: Albion on 14 August, 2013, 08:23:20 PM
11.00 tonight on BBC4 there is a documentary about the great John Cooper Clarke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jcdbc

"Keith Joseph smiles and a baby dies in a box on Beasley Street"

Once heard, never forgotten.

Spikes

Some good watching on BBC4 last night (as is usually the case).

A welcome repeat of all three episodes of Punk Britannia, along with a repeat of the John Cooper Clarke Doc.