Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Meanwhile, in the real world, a deluded idiot murders dozens of kids and parents and probably hands May her increased majority (despite being in the hotseat at the time) in the process, with all the resultant treats for those who profit from closed borders, fear of the other, sectarian division and heightened security theatre. Oh, and the added treat of angry homilies from the leader of a country where 7 children are shot to death every day.

That's using violence to achieve your ends right there.

ZenArcade

My respects to those who were murdered and my sympathies with those who have to live with the loss over the next hours, days, months, years and decades.
It would be fairly obscene to make political capital out of the slaughter of children; but the Tories are nothing if not obscene.  'Strong on terrorism; strong on the causes of terrorism'....or some other meaningless, crass bullshit will be the overweening mantra of these incompetent, greedy bastards. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

I don't think they need to actively make capital out of this tragedy, and I wasn't accusing them of such: it just plays perfectly into their monotonic isolationist narrative of fear, without any spin necessary.

This is what remoaners want, after all.

Anyway, I had intended just to bemoan the world's horrors, and the awful power of violence when twinned with whatever circumstances cause such anomie, disconnect or fanatacism as to persuade a human being that this is a plan.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Modern Panther
link=topic=28209.msg957879#msg957879
date=1495521880

QuoteI had no college or university
education and I wasn't taught how to argue
properly during my state school days.
Jesus, did you just blame the state for you
behaviour? I didn't go to university, and I was
also state educated. (Horray for the existence
of taxation). Someone I managed to pick up
the important lesson of not throwing insults
around along the way.
You said that I "did not care about the
holocaust" and regarded its dead as an
"acceptable price", because I believe in
democracy.
Then you tell the forum how much you love
and respect everyone.
When your hypocrisy is pointed out, you say
that its okay for you to throw incredibly
offensive names at me, because you accept
me despite my flaws.
Believe whatever you want to believe this
week, but don't pretend you treat anyone
here with respect.

I wasn't blaming anyone for my shortcomings. If I believe my state education was inadequate, which I do, then it's my responsibility to educate myself, which is what I'm aiming for. My knowledge and education are not fully formed (how could they be?) and are works in progress.

Can you remember the exact post(s) where I said those things? I really don't think I would accuse anyone of such a thing but I have asked the question "is the Holocaust an acceptable price to pay (or risk to take) for government power?"

I may have worded what I wrote clumsily or been too vague or something but I honestly don't think I'd accuse you of such things. If I actually did, however, then I'm shocked and dismayed in myself and can only apologise and unconditionally retract all such accusations.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

Katie Hopkins got sacked. Karma's a bitch!

Theblazeuk

Professor Bear

Is it just me or is LBC chocka with Tories suffering buyers' remorse these days?

Dandontdare

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Goaty on 26 May, 2017, 12:26:27 PM
Katie Hopkins got sacked. Karma's a bitch!

Birds of a feather...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Modern Panther

Theresa May - cuts to services, cuts to benefits for the most vulnerable, tax cuts for the wealthiest.  The person who has cut police on the streets, said that complaining about it was just scaremongering, then introduced the most intrusive surveillance laws ever seen in a democracy to keep us safe.  A PM who falls to pieces when questioned, who has done her best to avoid actual humans, and who claims that walking away from Europe with absolutely nothing is better than walking away with less than perfect deal.  The leader of a party who produced a manifesto lacking any figures.  In favour of killing foxes for fun.  Believes in "girl jobs and boy jobs".  Who insisted calling an election would be bad for the country, then called an election.

Jeremy Corbyn - forgot a number in an interview.

Guess which one of these is headlining BBC news.

Steve Green

How many of May's actions happened today?

The clue is in news.

Professor Bear

BBC are reporting on things Corbyn did 30 years ago.

Modern Panther

The closest we will get to a debate between the leaders of the two main parties, which was basically the only chance that the media was ever going to hold May to account, happened yesterday.

Political headlines today should be about their response to questioning about their policies.

Instead,  the BBC is running pictures of Corbyn looking confused and images of a triumphant May with the headline "I'm ready for Brexit".

TordelBack

So I'm muttering to myself about the current ridiculous distraction that is Trump's covfefe typo and its offspring of witty memes and tweets, while listening to the vapidity and cynical contempt for the electorate that is both the UK GE and our own government's leadership contest, and seeing all that energy directed into this irrelevant shite when there's so much of utterly vital time-critical importance to do.

Then I see Sean Spicer's 'defence' of Trump's typo. Of all of it, all the awful crap washing over us, this is actually the worst. The man mistyped a whine on his phone after midnight, just like every other person on the internet.  But instead he sends someone out to tell a lie so ridiculous that it encapsulates everything about current politics. It's probably the most important typo in living memory. Shows what I know.