Main Menu

Perry Rhodan?

Started by Smith, 30 April, 2017, 06:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Wikipedia has failed me,so I hope somebody here can help me.I mostly interested in the comic,but has anything from the franchise been translated to english so far?Except the game(s).
The comic apparently ran for some 150 issues,but I cant find any trace of it.
And,in general,is it good?I mean the whole franchise.

O Lucky Stevie!

Would love to see the comics because Bellardinelli drew some of those, didn't he?

About 140 of the novels were translated into English.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Smith

Are those the collections of stories from the magazine?How does that function?
Belladinelli?Now im really interested.

Tony Angelino

http://www.dandare.info/artists/belardinelli.htm

There is a link to Belardinelli through Cambiotti but that article does not make it clear that Belardinelli worked on the strip himself. I'm not aware of any other link myself.

A few years ago a blog printed pages from a 1960's Perry Rhodan comic but it managed to do so without printing any pages from the strip itself. There were just stills from movie that was out at the time.

Tony Angelino

Actually if you read the interview PDF's that are linked to the article he says he did work on Perry Rhodan.

I also found a couple of comic strip pages online which look like they may be Belardinelli (mainly the hairstyles). I can't speak German though and I don't know if these are Perry Rhodan strips. 

maryanddavid

I know little of the character itself, but the comic ran for years. I bought a few copies just to see that art. Belardinellis art is there, but it was done through the Giolitti studio and there is some collaboration on the artwork, probably with Giolitti himself.

O Lucky Stevie!

Yes Smith. The English language novels are collection of the novellas originally published weekly in the Heftroman* format.

*translates as pulp booklet.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Smith

TordelBack

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 02 May, 2017, 09:19:07 AM
Yes Smith. The English language novels are collection of the novellas originally published weekly in the Heftroman* format.

*translates as pulp booklet.

And let me say it if no-one else will: they're practically unreadable, at least the ones I tried.  Secondhand bookshops round here used to have literal mounds of the translated collections going for 20p a throw, and I attempted a couple. Maybe it's the age of the material, maybe it was the translation, maybe it's a different sensibility, but they were appreciably worse than E E "Doc" Smith Lensman books with which I always associate them.  And I read and enjoy most any old shite as long as it's got spaceships and 'splosions.

I think it's a case of "you had to be there". 

I tried some modern-looking colour comics adaptation a decade or so back while on holidays, but my German stretches to asking for beer, warm water for the shower and the way out, so they were a bit lost on me: but they didn't look good.  That said, I'd like to see more of the Massimo pages from the earlier versions! 

Smith

I guess this was a doomed quest from the start.Thanks anyway.

O Lucky Stevie!

Now if only we can convince IDW to reprint the Giolitti Studio comics on the back of  their Star Trek Gold Key Archives...

Smith

Maybe if a movie or a TV series happens...

O Lucky Stevie!

There's a bigger audience in gamers than fillum or the box these days

Smith

In this case,thats probably true.

O Lucky Stevie!

Did somebody just say, "1996 PR concept album by former member of Tangerine Dream who also composed the soundtrack for Bablyon 5"?