Main Menu

Game of Thrones Season 7: It's A Bit Nippy Out (SPOILERS)

Started by Jim_Campbell, 18 July, 2017, 09:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: JamesC on 22 August, 2017, 09:25:44 PM
Well that's it then - totally ruined for me now.  :lol:
:D

The other part of the calculation was how long the ice would take to freeze over to be thick enough for an army to cross - about three or four days.  That person was less optimistic on Gendry's running time (six hours as opposed to the three hours mentioned further) and missed the opportunity to assume a dragon could fly faster than a raven.

Leigh S

But why do they need it to freeze to cross it - they can't be scared of a bit of water? they got those chains on Viserion, so someone went for a dip

Quote from: sheridan on 22 August, 2017, 10:23:46 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 22 August, 2017, 09:25:44 PM
Well that's it then - totally ruined for me now.  :lol:
:D

The other part of the calculation was how long the ice would take to freeze over to be thick enough for an army to cross - about three or four days.  That person was less optimistic on Gendry's running time (six hours as opposed to the three hours mentioned further) and missed the opportunity to assume a dragon could fly faster than a raven.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Leigh S on 22 August, 2017, 10:34:56 PM
But why do they need it to freeze to cross it - they can't be scared of a bit of water? they got those chains on Viserion, so someone went for a dip

I thought the point established at Hardholme was that the dead can't cross water, otherwise they could just go around the Wall.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Leigh S

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 August, 2017, 10:51:12 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 22 August, 2017, 10:34:56 PM

I thought the point established at Hardholme was that the dead can't cross water, otherwise they could just go around the Wall.

That would make sense or they could just get a boat, but we see a few scrabbling up to get Tormund, and they get chains around Viserion, so they can at least enter it... He could have jsut ordered them to form a big dead sand bank across!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 August, 2017, 10:51:12 PM

A vulnerable position for an army without boats. I presume they're waiting for the water to freeze fully so they can pass around the end of the wall "The Bay of Ice" in larger numbers.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 August, 2017, 11:20:56 PM
A vulnerable position for an army without boats. I presume they're waiting for the water to freeze so they can pass around ends of the wall in larger numbers.

The sea freezing when winter properly hits has seemed an obvious solution for getting the Walkers and their army past the Wall, but that's always struck me as a little prosaic. My previous pet theory was that Dany would bring down the wall, simply because she 1) has dragons capable of doing it, and 2) a family tree chock full of despotic nutters. This latest episode has caused me to... revisit this theory.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 August, 2017, 11:26:42 PM
This latest episode has caused me to... revisit this theory.

I suspect it's coming down at the end of this season...maybe.

lincnash

I generally switch off the old brain and enjoy it for the entertaining show that it is.
Childhood D&D games bought to life with CGI (and rude bits  ;))
But the cheesy "character A or B is toast ........ oohh saved" does get a bit old.

Map from the Aussie Gov-mint official website.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-22/game-of-thrones-chat-episode-6-recap-beyond-the-wall/8825748
For once they spend my taxes on something decent.  :lol:

sheridan

Quote from: lincnashOZ on 23 August, 2017, 08:09:10 AM
I generally switch off the old brain and enjoy it for the entertaining show that it is.
Childhood D&D games bought to life with CGI (and rude bits  ;))
But the cheesy "character A or B is toast ........ oohh saved" does get a bit old.

Map from the Aussie Gov-mint official website.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-22/game-of-thrones-chat-episode-6-recap-beyond-the-wall/8825748
For once they spend my taxes on something decent.  :lol:

G.R.R. Martin famously doesn't put a scale on his maps, but for some rough context, the wall is 300 miles long.

Eamonn Clarke

If you're going to travel, travel by map. It is, as the Muppets proved, the quickest way.  :P

radiator

Though the books do a great job of conveying Westeros as a truly vast place that feels like a real continent, I long ago had to adjust my conception of it for the TV show and just imagine that it's roughly the size of England. It's the only way it can make any kind of sense.

So, predictions for the finale:

[spoiler]All the major players converge on KL for 'peace talks' with Cersei (this is where we hear Jon's dialogue from the trailer about how 'our two families once fought together' - he's addressing Cersei), but Cersei doesn't care about the Wight (she has one working for her remember) and instead, tries to murder everyone using the Mountain and/or Wildfire. The Hound will finally overcome his fear of fire to kill his zombified brother using a flaming sword, maybe sacrificing himself in the process. Things come to a head between Jaime and Cersei (no doubt involving Brienne in some capacity) and Jaime ultimately ends up seeing the light, killing Cersei and himself.

Meanwhile in Winterfell, Sansa and Arya get over their contrived drama (this is where we'll hear Sansa reciting Ned's proverb about Stark unity "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives" that featured in the trailer), and Sansa kills Littlefinger with Chekov's Valyrian dagger.

Jon + Dany get it on at some point.

The Night King uses zombie dragon to bring the wall down as a cliffhanger for the final season.[/spoiler]

lincnash

Quote from: radiator on 23 August, 2017, 04:18:26 PM
Though the books do a great job of conveying Westeros as a truly vast place that feels like a real continent, I long ago had to adjust my conception of it for the TV show and just imagine that it's roughly the size of England. It's the only way it can make any kind of sense.

So, predictions for the finale:

[spoiler]All the major players converge on KL for 'peace talks' with Cersei (this is where we hear Jon's dialogue from the trailer about how 'our two families once fought together' - he's addressing Cersei), but Cersei doesn't care about the Wight (she has one working for her remember) and instead, tries to murder everyone using the Mountain and/or Wildfire. The Hound will finally overcome his fear of fire to kill his zombified brother using a flaming sword, maybe sacrificing himself in the process. Things come to a head between Jaime and Cersei (no doubt involving Brienne in some capacity) and Jaime ultimately ends up seeing the light, killing Cersei and himself.

Meanwhile in Winterfell, Sansa and Arya get over their contrived drama (this is where we'll hear Sansa reciting Ned's proverb about Stark unity "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives" that featured in the trailer), and Sansa kills Littlefinger with Chekov's Valyrian dagger.

Jon + Dany get it on at some point.

The Night King uses zombie dragon to bring the wall down as a cliffhanger for the final season.[/spoiler]

When first discovering GoT, Westeros being the size of England made sense to me too.

One thing I know for sure, the Millennium Raven from Eastwatch made the Dragonstone run in less than twelve Parsecs.

[spoiler]Jon and Dany in Luke and Leia action :-[/spoiler]
1. just eeewwww  :o
[spoiler]2. Not probable, remember Dany's reaction to wounded Jon's firm grip and puppy dog eye's.[/spoiler]

Arya/Sansa and Night King predictions = you hit the nail on the head there.

Goaty

Quote from: lincnashOZ on 23 August, 2017, 08:34:16 PM

[spoiler]So Jaime and Cersei not bothered you? [/spoiler]

lincnash

Quote from: Goaty on 23 August, 2017, 08:41:12 PM
Quote from: lincnashOZ on 23 August, 2017, 08:34:16 PM

[spoiler]So Jaime and Cersei not bothered you? [/spoiler]

Stomm, just realized.
[spoiler]A sociopathic female twin in a lifelong relationship and pregnant to her twin brother.[/spoiler]

Like the Star Wars references, it was attempted humor.

lincnash

Sunday morning in OZ, one sleep and a wake up until all GoT predictions are put to rest.
Cannot wait for the season finale, bring it on. :D