Main Menu

Prog 2077: New York State of Mind

Started by Leigh S, 14 April, 2018, 11:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

To my mind the simplest solution to the TG probem in RT was the surprise reveal that 'ol popeye hitself had had a biochip download system implanted in his veiny cranium. Oh the ironing! His tampering with the GI programme secrets could have been revealed as the cause of the flaw that necessitated the Horsted antigen, so as soon as Rogue got back from that one he could have plunged back into the chemical clouds in search of a newly regened Traitor.

TordelBack

Autocorrelation had its wicked way with that one, apologies.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 April, 2018, 04:51:00 PM
Autocorrelation had its wicked way with that one, apologies.
Autocorrect?

Frank

Rogue Trooper was a war strip. He could have rejoined the Souther effort to win an unwinnable, endless war, recycling every story beat and high concept that kept Battle, Warlord, Sgt Rock and countless strips in other comics going for decades.

Worked for the first series of Bad Company [1].

I think the real problem was that readers had seen the creators/editorial run out of ideas and take a direction that didn't work[2]. Once that happens, it's difficult to regain the reader's confidence, suspend disbelief & invest in another new direction.

[1] Bad Company would have worked as the first book of a rebooted Rogue Trooper, either with Rogue as a less gauche Danny Franks or, more interestingly, with Rogue as Kano. Discuss.

[2] I'd only read a few issues of Original Rogue, so I didn't come to Geller & Dillon's The Hit era with any negative preconceptions. The first few stories seemed fine, but I eventually sensed Geller was losing interest and resorting to desperate measures as he ran out of things to do with his original set-up. Geller's brief run was a microcosm of everything that had gone wrong with the strip before, and I soon found myself in the same position as readers who had been following the strip for years, who were buying the comic but weren't buying the strip. I never really regained trust or bought any of the developments and do-overs in the various versions of the strip, since.