Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Replaying Arkham Asylum as my PC is currently doing the rounds as TV platform (so gamepads are in, keyboards are out). On hard this time (much tougher) and I'm really enjoying it. Unlocking gadgets is a bit of a chore (Batman only has one gadget in that belt?) particularly when you see secret areas that you know you'll never bother coming back for once you have the appropriate unlock. Otherwise, though the combat is comparatively basic to the sequels, it's an amazing game. A perfect Batman-simulator, at least once you have a couple more toys to help you take on gun toting goons.

Looking forward to Arkham Knight and wish that Dredd could get something half as decent (not that Dredd v Death wasn't fun but could do something amazing).

CrazyFoxMachine

Had a cracking game of multiplayer Terraria tonight - nothing like drinking n' mining and building a castle with a bunch of friends.

ThryllSeekyr

Aside from Elite Dangerous where I just made a startling discovery (It's a secret, you will all need to find out for yourselves if you have the game!)

I've been playing Hinterland, the very first game I ever purchased from STEAM. You what it is about, you pick typical fantasy character. They even have Orcs and you slowly build a town by building houses for the people that visit your town square outside your Manor or Keep. Using money made by those very same people and adventuring into the dangerous territories around your slowly burgeoning town. As it had been a while since I played. I forgot to upgrade my own building and couldn't get anybody other than Farmers, Herders, Trappers, Craft-People, Smithies and a Inn-Keeper to stay in my town. My letting so many of the same type of people into my town it was soon filled with just Farmers, Herders, Trappers and I had about three Smithies.  You can find better armour and weapons while clearing out other sections of the map. Your Craft-Person can also make better armour, your Smithy, better weapons as well. Which you can distribute around the other town people and have them defend their homes from enemy invaders who often come to pillage. You can help them as well, but they often get killed and will need replacing.  All your town-folk contribute something towards the prosperity of your town. The Farmers, Herders, Trappers all provide food, I'm not sure about the Inn, and your can also let in Guards who will fight for you. A Herbalist who can makes salves and potions of healing. A Merchant set up shop to seel goods made by the other occupants and you can also sell your own spoils to them. Their also a Mage, Bard, Cleric and Undertaker as well. They all contribute money to your treasury as well. I wasn't able to get of them, in and by the time I cottoned on to where I had gone wrong. I was too late, as I had already got my Elven-Archer named Legolas killed three times. When they die, they fade from view and resurrect in the town square, minus some money and fame. He was on negative fame when the King had requested that he restore it within a set time period or else I would lose the game. I didn't quite make it. I'm about to have another go when I'm done here. Hinterland. It's a strange name for this game. Not sure what they are referring to in this game exactly with such name. I know it means the inland, the land behind the beach front land. But how is that relevant in this game. You should all purchase this game and play it just to realise how irrelevant the name of the game is. I think mentioned this one here when I first brought it back in 2007 or 2008 and though that Mega-City-One version would be superb.

I've also been playing the new Thief game on the X-Box-360 and while I find it impressive on a lot of levels. It still fails like a lot of other current games of it's ilk. That fall totally flat in other areas. These games that try to accurately simulate what can be done in the real world only seem realistic on the surface. Basically they only do it where they think it matters the most. So, while thievery aspects of this game are revolutionary and reasonably solid. Social matters, enemy A.I. always surprisingly dumb (Even at hardest difficulty.) and some of controls are hard to use. It took me nearly a hour to get Garret (The name brings the identity of two known musicians to mind. Peter Garret once a lead singer of the Australian rock known as Midnight Oil and now was last seen in involved in local politics and Leif Garret who I recall as earlier version of Justin Beiber who was really famous in the late seventies.) to crouch, so that he could move under some piping on a rooftop while following Erin right at the beginning of the game.  As I had to press the left thumb-stick inwards to do this. Eventually, I got it done, but this ability fails me when I need it to the most. The objects the can picked the stuff that can be used, are only specified objects and loot. I can't get over how dumb the enemy or victim A.I. is in this game. When I had Garret enter town house to steal a fable glass-jewel-golden-mask. I eventually had him kill all the house guards (Who look like Ninja's) after spending I had Garett spend ages stealthly hiding, stalking, stealing and sometimes running from them when they caught him. I think after some time, they should really call in the cops enmass to overpower the cheaky sod. But this never happens. I had him the basement flogging stuff from these two corner tables this poor fellow were working at. Anytime he moved from one table. I had the thief slip in to snatch the shiny objects that were available to steal before he returned his attention back towards the relevant table without him noticing anything was missing. As I had already had him snuff out the two candles on the other ide of the room without being detected. It wasn't until I had him exstinquish the candles on each desk that he got suspicious and started to panickly look around the basement for him and run upstairs for help from one of three guards. While Garret hid in the cabinent that was handy. (Which is also a save point.) Sometimes the guard will open the cabinent surprising the thief instantly killing him before he can react. There was another part in this game where I had him remove every guard and policemen around one of the city bon-fires close to the riverside. While I made a bit of a noise, he got this done without much mishap and this was at hardest difficulty. Now, I had fight him way into the local brothel. The guards here were of similar stupidity and lacking teamwork unless Garret was obviously seen by more than one of them at a time. He took out the last two with a arrow to the head before finding a hidden door and now he's stuck in a series of secret chambers that have peep holes looking into three rooms all occupied by the workers with clients. (Which reminds me, I done stuff like this in the past and recall that I was most typical of at least two of three of them myself, while the other fellow was sitting on a couch handcuffed and blindfolded allowing the mistress to do perform  who sadism on him. I would never pay for this myself to be done to me, but I know some of my friends might. In fact, I'm unsure, but under the impression this may be happening to me right now, in my own house, but over longer, a extended period of time by invisable Gypsy Ninja Fairies while I sleep. (I 've always had a hard time convincing my former head-shrink of this.) While the guy on the far right is telling his own his secret plans. This reminds me of time when I had visited this young masseuse. For a completely nude massage, I paid extra for her to completely remove her clothes, but there was no groping on my part allowed or a happy ending included in the deal. Despite a lot of rubbing. So, I went on to explain to her in intricate detail how we as the humans we are today are really a sub-animal race enslaved to a far higher intelligence, of aliens of unfathomable description and completely invisible as they have been breeding us for entertainment, food and slavery in their zoo. While the houses, the suburbs, farms and cities that we live in are really a elaborate illusion and the bars to our cages are invisible as well. I've seen her once again and never after that. (My idea was not only based on The Matrix trilogy but story called "We Eat Pigs, Don't We" in a old science fiction book filled with colourful illustrations. I no longer have it.)

Where was I......so I thought, is there a masturbation option given to Garret at this point. As I have him peek into the other room and see worker straddled across her client, fully nude, and moving up and down. No, there isn't that much freedom in this game and only the illusion of it. Wouldn't be interesting if he could enter each room and take part in the fun. Nor can he break stuff, knock down walls and break through every single window. Everything that can be done in this game is restricted to what specified thief could do and not a very modern one at that. After finding a podium that needs activation and a strange set of claw marks on the wall. But this is where I am still stuck ion the game. Any ideas for me here. Any suggestions?

I also have the official art book filled with a lot of detailed captures taken from what must be the latest console/PC version of this game. They detail of peoples faces look better here than in the game I'm playing ad  on the subject of in game characters, a lot of the street bums at home in the alley-ways and around small bon-fires. Most of them are just the same two or three guy repeated over and over again. The
same goes for the guards and police and even the regular towns-folk.

Combat gets a little bit more interesting when you need to use it the moves available to Garret.
He can either take anybody down instantly by sneaking upon them from behind and jumping them from above. He was once by guard sleeping in chair who suddenly awoke and get up when my thief pulls off this spectacular move on him also instantly ending his life and granting me the Sweet-Sixteen achievement while he's searching through a old foundry. I have only been able to get him to do this once and when I try again, he only does these special moves where you need to get him to aim for their mid-section. momentarily stunning them. This is called a Focus move. Something that he can only do while it's switched on and while the meter is not empty. (I think that's how I nailed two sentries threw the head with arrow shots. Yes, bow and arrow are back in this game and they have all the favourites here. Otherwise, you can use Focus have that switched on. Otherwise, you can use this ability to see things that can be used, to climb or access some other way. That and that Gloom have become the only supernatural aspects of this game.

Play this game and learn how to become a idiot thief who lives in a clock tower and don't expect any of the skills to translate to real life and our age of information. As you will surely be caught in the act.
Camera's...you know. Now, I was almost tempted to purchase Watchdogs tomorrow. That's a modern day thief. I think....or I could go back and continue with Dishonored

I have more games to talk about, but not right now...time to hang out the washing and then a rest.

ThryllSeekyr

I played more of Hinterland earlier this afternoon and made a Orc shaman named Snaga. The village soon filled with Orc Farmers, Herders, Trappers, Craft-People, Smithies, and a Inn-Keeper. The problems with Orcs is that they consume twice as much and needed more Foodiers to keep everyone happy. But the more I invited inside , the more they ate and soon even more left because they were starving. Orcs kept arriving, coming in and setting up their wares and even more left. Snaga's shot up past 100, but failed a few request for food from the King and this depleted his fame by 80 because it happened twice and then he died, while adventuring three times and this brought his fame down to negative 100.

Then our town after being attacked by huge trolls, was now being attacked by Red-Dragons. Everybody got killed and it bad time, since Snaga was on negative fame. He had a hard time getting in replacements, and then the King ordered him to increase his fame back into the positives within about 5-8 days.

This can only be done by fulfilling other requests for food, other important commodities and adventuring. I managed to raise to negative 47 by completing a food request, but Snaga  died a few more times, taking himself even further into the negatives and the game was soon lost.

I also had a go at Rogue Trooper, also purchased through Steam for a good price sometime last year or maybe even the year before. I got Rogue right up to the point where he and some other Trooper was attacked by one of those Sub-Terrain-Screw-Topped-Nort-Carriers (I don't know what they're called...) after he was given the blue-prints for Scrambler-Grenades by Helm. He carrying both Gunnar and Bagman slotted into his equipment after they were both killed.

Damn the annoying tutorial pop-ups that would get between me and the action while freezing the game. But they were essential in helping me relearn everything.

I also missed a lot of cut scenes, including the introduction. The game wasn't running so well on my rig for some reason. A lot of the time the game kept freezing during the action and one cut scene was skipped and story went forward without filling me on some essential details and I just decided to stop playing when I couldn't handle it anymore.

Then, I started a game of Red-Nation. It's a top down scrolling zombie shooter. Not such bad game either. It has several different modes. I started playing the story mode where this woman with a gun just had to spin around with a gun in her hand shooting a never ending waves of zombies. Dead ones will sometimes drop a equipments, different weapon, flak-jackets, and other stuff. She can also earn special upgrades, after completing a few waves. I'm not sure if these upgrades, accumulate or replace each other.

I made it to third stage and she had to kill a zombie boss. I kept dying here, mainly because I'm not so good at moving her around with the W.A.S.D keys and I was more prone to just spinning her around firing weapons. Sometimes, I would move her over to pick up a piece of equipment.

Soon, this game started to freeze up as well.

Now I'm here.....what shall I play next?

shaolin_monkey

Titanfall on PC for me - I don't get to play games much right now, so this kind of drop-in multiplayer suits me down to the ground for an hour here and there. 

Given it is supposed to be a 'next gen' game, my rig chugs along happily with it on medium settings, and only strains a little on full on settings. 

That said, I'm playing it in 2D at the moment, as they haven't fixed the 3D settings of reticule and player ID HUD info.  That all appears 2D, over the 3D landscapes, mechs etc, giving me a headache.  When/if they finally fix that no doubt I'll have to play it with the settings on med/low to compensate for the processor having to create two slightly different images of the action. Small price to pay for such a great game in 3D though!

Oh, and I am remarkbaly shit at it.  Still great fun!

Tiplodocus

Next game played is going   to be Mario Kart 8 which I will be downloading as soon as I get home.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

mogzilla

bound by flame's going in my xbox in a few hours courtesy of some early birthday money ,thanks mum and dad
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

GrinningChimera

Just beat the main story to Fable 2 again. Still fun to play through but the illusion of choice wears thin when you notice that your choices don't have a huge impact on the story.

I think I might give L.A Noir another spin next

I, Cosh

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 19 May, 2014, 11:34:07 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 17 May, 2014, 11:47:07 PM
Been playing FTL for the past week or so. It's infuriating/I'm shit at it*.
I've only made it once on Normal.

Currently replaying on Easy to try and unlock the B layouts (and maybe the crystal ship. So close).
Finally managed to finish this a couple of weeks ago. Once I'd figured out the best way to play with the Zoltan cruiser, the final showdown was actually a piece of piss. However, it took me so long to get to that point that I'd already unlocked pretty much every basic ship, including the Crystal and Lanius cruisers. If only I had the patience to try playing through again using the different strategies but I don't.

Which makes it even more absurd that I just bought XCOM at the weekend. I really am shit at anything remotely tactical or strategic but this seems pretty good. At least, it would be if it didn't keep crashing my iPad at any given opportunity!
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Loved XCOM, but I'm similarly terrible at anything tactical! A couple of times I got several hours into a playthrough of that game just for the world to end which felt quite humiliating! I'm used to being able to beat any game with a bit of perseverance so for a game to just end midway through because I was too terrible at it was a humbling experience. Haven't had the nerve to try again.

JamesC

I really liked XCOM up until the bits with lots of those insect things which made zombies. I found them really frustrating.
It also annoyed me when a decent character would miss a shot against an enemy that he was right on top of.

The last game I've played is Sniper Elite 3. It's good fun so far but I'm playing on PS4 and it feels a million miles away from being 'next gen'.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just finished StarCraft (the original). It was a lot easier than I remember it. Not sure if I have got better or games have got more spohisticated (in which case I probably am better by osmosis) but it seemed to easy to force the AI to attack a peninsula of a base.

Now on to Brood War. It may be that this has harder levels - I certainly remember some of the levels giving me a hard time when I played the game through, with the expansions, 10 years ago.

This epic play through precedes me starting Starcraft II
Lock up your spoons!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: The Cosh on 30 June, 2014, 04:32:04 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 19 May, 2014, 11:34:07 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 17 May, 2014, 11:47:07 PM
Been playing FTL for the past week or so. It's infuriating/I'm shit at it*.
I've only made it once on Normal.

Currently replaying on Easy to try and unlock the B layouts (and maybe the crystal ship. So close).
Finally managed to finish this a couple of weeks ago. Once I'd figured out the best way to play with the Zoltan cruiser, the final showdown was actually a piece of piss. However, it took me so long to get to that point that I'd already unlocked pretty much every basic ship, including the Crystal and Lanius cruisers. If only I had the patience to try playing through again using the different strategies but I don't.

Which makes it even more absurd that I just bought XCOM at the weekend. I really am shit at anything remotely tactical or strategic but this seems pretty good. At least, it would be if it didn't keep crashing my iPad at any given opportunity!

I still gotta finish first one (One of the new ones!) before I start on Enemy-Within. I've had already started and finished the Bureau game before I finished the other one. I'm stuck a really U.F.O. Mission with a lot of rookies and it's been real thought.

Not to mention, some fucker managed to get into my X-Box account and delete the last few saves...unless their got corrupt and disappeared all by themselves.

Looking forward to the latest one with more Psionics and Cybernetics.....

While trying to use Steam on this laptop for the time being while I'm getting my good computer fixed. Hopefully fixed for the last time in a long time.

I can't get Elite - Dangerous to work on this...it just doesn't have the graphics card requirements.

As for STEAM games, it will not run RUST is kind of like mmo with all the fetch quest that your character might do for other npc's. You only od your own thing in this one or you work with others. Your choice, and for all the dullness this should be...it's very addictive.

Why is game called RUST?

It won't run Abyss-Odyssey, I really stylish looking beat-em-up.

I haven't tried out The Forest yet... but I do have more videos of some of my previous play throughs of this game up on You-Tube if you can find the news ones under my name Vidstarr. (Don't ask me why I use that name, it just popped into my head at the time.) I can't be bothered with using links right now.

The Metro game barely works enough for me to bother with it right now. I brought two of them. It's based on some Russian novel about a holocaust and how they coped with it. It got all sort so mutants in it. I think the other survivors send you on missions and fetch quests. It's supposed to be very good this one, but it just doesn't work fast enough on this laptop.

I decided to have descent loom at the Wildlife Park collection. They have included expansion packs for extra wild and farm animals. As well Marine.....Crazy..... Dinosaurs and Fantacy creatures well.  I tried out  the Fantacy one, but didn't get any more animals anymore fantastic than a Unicorn. Without making more money through your animal park business. I tried the Dinosaur one and had a park with T-Rex walking around in it.

Can you imagine a small wildlife enclosure fill to the brim with such diverse life as some domestic dogs like German Shepards, and Artic-Fox's, and most of the well known wild cats, various tropical fish floundering around on the dry soil. Koalas and Penguins side by side. Some Moose and Kangaroos. A few Wilderbeast and bunnies and rabbits. Living close together and dying because of it.

Some tried to escape. Most died, because they lacked their specialised food source.

IN the dinosaur pen, I had koalas swimming in a couple of feet of water with octopus below them. After I added a water pump and lowered some of the ground level.

They should never let me near a zoo in real life. Let alone work in or own one.

The last game...which I entirely completed in a few hours is called Fist of Awesome. It's got the same type of graphics as Super Brothers : Sword & Sorcery, McPixel, another new gamed called Gods Must be Watching (Interesting game with some good ideas, but I couldn't even make the right choice to crack the first mission and I though that was going to be the entire game, but there is more.).

In this game you are the time-travelling Canadian Lumberjack, Tim Burr (I didn't realise the significance of that name until the end of it!) [spoiler]sent on a epic quest to punch the hell of highly evolved bears who threaten to burn down his log cabin and take over the world. He travels through time fighting various pockets of bearmanity who have travelled from the future to breed with bears of the past to further increase their own evolution.
[/spoiler]

It's just a beat-em-up bashing side-scrolling adventure. You hero level ups with experience from bashing these future-altered bears and even when he fails.. he goes up a level or two.

I just completed the whole game in hours (Like I said earlier...) and very pleased with myself about this. Despite this....I only got 19 of the 57 achievements, but there is arena mode where you fight every one of the characters and some characters I didn't even see in the game.

Now time to sleep on the couch.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 August, 2014, 07:06:00 AM

I still gotta finish first one (One of the new ones!) before I start on Enemy-Within. I've had already started and finished the Bureau game before I finished the other one. I'm stuck a really U.F.O. Mission with a lot of rookies and it's been real thougt

I think Enemy Within is integrated into the first game. Ie it's the same story and levels as the first but with psionics and cybernetics sprinkled through like raisins in a cake
Lock up your spoons!

Theblazeuk

Yeah it is - basically you just play the same game but with new enemies, new game dynamics (regular covert missions, a conspiracy group of traitors descended from the Bureau days.... congrats on crowbarring that in 2K!), a 'plotline' set of special events involving psychic prodigies, a base invasion that puts you to the test, an aliens tribute that is brilliant, and new tools such as superpower gene splicing and horrific bionic-mecha suits.

It's a bit harder than vanilla X-Com, at least till you get the hang of balancing your war against the aliens with the disruptive efforts of EXALT, who are tricky bar stewards and no doubt. Still nothing better than kitting out all of your elite soldiers with regenerative powers, the ability to leap walls in a single bound, turn invisible or detect enemies through walls.

Best way to do an expansion to this kind of game. Want MORE.