Main Menu

Summer of Love - Milligan & McCarthy

Started by Richard S., 26 November, 2020, 07:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard S.

ok, so this wasn't in the prog but Peter Milligan & Brendan McCarthy have plenty of fans here right?

'Summer of Love' was a newspaper strip from (as it says) "...two of Britain's superstar new wave cartoonists" - I've managed to find SOME images (which I've posted on the blog) but would be interested if anyone knows anything more about the strip??

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2020/11/summer-of-love-part-1.html

cheers
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

ming

Some of it was reprinted in the Best of Milligan & McCarthy:

https://books.google.no/books?id=sSPXDgAAQBAJ&pg=PA181&lpg=PA181&dq=summer+of+love+mccarthy+best+of&source=bl&ots=MLTrb0Z4Jb&sig=ACfU3U1Ah-1TT4Va3EGLXJXdkC68_CAOJg&hl=no&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwie_rvK4Z_tAhXpk4sKHazxCiwQ6AEwGnoECAUQAg#v=onepage&q=summer%20of%20love%20mccarthy%20best%20of&f=false

I think there were seven published episodes plus an eighth unpublished one but don't remember precisley.  I may have scans of the whole lot somewhere so I'll have a root around.

See also: https://www.cbr.com/milligan-mccarthys-summer-of-love-a-little-comics-archeology/

Meanwhile, the link above hopefully shows pages from BoM&M.

TordelBack

Lovely stuff.  Great to see that they kept Tom Frame on board, makes all the difference. What a team. 

ming

Here y'go:

That's all seven published episodes; I've never seen an image of the eighth so if you dig it up let us know!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 26 November, 2020, 08:20:27 AM
Some of it was reprinted in the Best of Milligan & McCarthy:

Which is an absolute treasure trove of delights like this.

Bolt-01

This was published alongside Pat Mills and Glen Fabry's SCATHA, and suffered the same fate (seven published and the eighth half done).

I'm trying to recall the name of the newspaper they were in - it was a very short lived Sunday paper in '88 I believe.

ming

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 26 November, 2020, 08:56:06 AM
This was published alongside Pat Mills and Glen Fabry's SCATHA, and suffered the same fate (seven published and the eighth half done).

I'm trying to recall the name of the newspaper they were in - it was a very short lived Sunday paper in '88 I believe.

The News on Sunday :)

Bolt-01

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 26 November, 2020, 08:56:06 AM

Both Scatha and the first episode of The Masquer, a roleplaying-comic along the lines of Diceman, were reprinted by Hibernia in Beyond 2000AD. All seven episodes of Scatha, plus the eighth which just exists as inks with no lettering/title AFAIK, are included, but IIRC Fabry said that ten episodes had been completed, so there may be more somewhere out there.

The editors of the News on Sunday's colour/comic section were trying to piggyback off the explosion in interest in comics at the time (I think this was hot on the heels of Watchmen et al) and they were clear that they wanted specific creators from the prog for it. They referenced Slaine, Halo Jones and Sooner or Later in interviews IIRC, and I think it's clear from Scatha and Summer of Love that they were looking for their own version of particular strips, rather than just something new from the creators behind them.

Really interesting curiosity.

JayzusB.Christ

Lovely stuff - McCarthy at his absolute best there.  And Stephen Love there is clearly 1980s Pete Milligan, shades and all.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

norton canes