Main Menu

The Dream Warriors

Started by richerthanyou, 04 March, 2016, 07:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Leigh S

Had an incredbly bitter sweet dream the other night, where I dug out a copy of Battle with a beautiful Carlos Strontium Dog cover and strip - the cover had a very vibrant almost neon green Battle logo and the general colours were a bit more bright aqua green/blue than you would expect for Alpha, but really worked.

Inside, the strip was intended as a taster for readers to hop onto 2000AD, and featured Johnny solo against a German Armoured Division - one particlualrly lovely classic round panel of Alpha with german sniper rifle shooting out into the next panel, again in classic Carlos fashion

I woke up both sad I'll never see any more Carlos Stront but also sort of feeling like I had...

JayzusB.Christ

I dreamed last night I was part of a piece of unseen Withnail & I footage (they got stuck in a small, slightly sinister seaside village without their car after the whole Monty debacle, apparently).

I'd been reading Doom Patrol, see. Willoughby Kipling and all.  I've visited Monty's cottage in reality, and their now-demolished London boozer.

I've lost count of the number of Walking Dead dreams I've had my now.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 May, 2019, 05:15:54 PM

Well at least they left your boat without attempting to eat you first, lol. Hope all is good anyways.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: paddykafka on 13 May, 2019, 08:56:00 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 May, 2019, 05:15:54 PM

Well at least they left your boat without attempting to eat you first, lol. Hope all is good anyways.

:D
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

I'm giving up smoking (again  :rolleyes:) with aid of nicotine patches, and the best thing about them is that they give you ultra-vivid dreams, especially if napping - just had a short nap and spent a lovely 20 mins at 'bring your dog to work day', rolling round the office floor with big floofy pooches. All the fun, and none of the dog hair. Dreams also tend to be more consistent narratives, rather than random jumbles of events. It's like IMAX in my head every night.

A couple of friends have said similar - one said that they gave her nightmares, the other said they gave her the horniest sex dreams ever.

The Legendary Shark

I'm quitting (again) too - but the only thing the patches seem to be doing for me is keeping me awake.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

zombemybabynow

Can't remember the last time i had /can remember a dream ?!
I believe this may be unhealthy ?
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

von Boom

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 10 July, 2019, 10:54:46 AM
Can't remember the last time i had /can remember a dream ?!
I believe this may be unhealthy ?
Perhaps. But it will become the basis for your defence when you are standing in the docks at Crown court. ;)

zombemybabynow

A serf like me - ending up in a crown court, I doubt it !!
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

JayzusB.Christ

I had a dream last night that Tordelback, yes, Tordelback, was kicked out of his house after his wife went mental and started a vendetta against the colour green (which somehow represented her husband).  I met him in his garden; the two of us were trying desperately to find a solution.  We ended up standing on the roof, looking down at her through the glass ceiling of one of the rooms, just hoping things would get back to normal soon.

I've never met Tordelback and know nothing about his wife or family situation, other than that it sounds quite pleasant.  I don't know what Tordelback looks like and can't remember what he looked like in my dream.

Proudhuff

Hi all, this could equally be on the Black Dog thread, having lost three of the most important people in my life recently their appearance and the re-calibrating, needed each morning to my new situation, was making me close to losing it, however reading about dreaming and the Human Givens logical approach, changed all that, and even really surreal dreams can now be explained by the previous days flight or fight situations. 

From their website:

We can easily see this in our own lives. If we feel angry and let off steam it usually dissipates the anger. But if we were to act out our emotions every time we were emotionally aroused, that would be disastrous. So animals needed to evolve the ability to inhibit arousals when necessary and deactivate them later when they could do no harm. That is why we evolved to dream. During REM sleep unfulfilled emotional expectations left over from the day are run out in the form of metaphors, thus deactivating them and freeing up the brain to deal with the new emotionally arousing events of the following day. Without dreams fulfilling our expectations by acting them out metaphorically we would need a vastly bigger brain.

The expectation fulfilment theory of dreams

Human Givens Online Courses
FREE ONLINE LECTURES
'Why do we dream?' & 'Dreaming, daydreaming and creativity'

With psychologist Joe Griffin's 'expectation fulfilment theory of dreams', we have the first viable, scientifically based theory of why we evolved to dream, and what dreams are actually doing for us.

So, dreaming is the deepest trance state we go into. The three essential points to understand about dreaming are:
•Dreams are metaphorical translations of waking expectations.
•Expectations which cause emotional arousal that is not acted upon during the day to dearouses the arousal, become dreams during sleep.
•Dreaming deactivates that emotional arousal by completing the expectation pattern metaphorically, freeing the brain to respond afresh to each new day.

further reading here:

https://www.hgi.org.uk/resources/delve-our-extensive-library/dreaming/why-we-dream
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

well that must be true because there's a website!

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 27 July, 2019, 03:53:55 PM
Hi all, this could equally be on the Black Dog thread, having lost three of the most important people in my life recently their appearance and the re-calibrating, needed each morning to my new situation, was making me close to losing it,

Whatever works for you*, buddy. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

* https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/10/09/horseshoe-luck/

The Legendary Shark

Sorry to hear of your losses, Proudhuff - you're a proper good bloke and I hope things even out for you soon. You know where I am if you need anything.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]