Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 22 July, 2019, 12:58:40 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 22 July, 2019, 10:56:09 AM
Sheridan lad, this slog is absolutely bitchin', or whatever it is the kids say these days.  Keep it up!

Thanks - luckily wordpress lets me see how many people are viewing it each day, so I know lack of commentary doesn't mean lack of interest :-)

(but, y'know having people tell me directly always helps with motivation as well)

With cover dates of 15 July 1978:

Prog 73: Harry Winthrop was a meek mild mannered man, until he tried on... The Suit. The power... the pain... the Suit!

Looking pretty similar to the (human-sized) toy robot from the sci-fi special is a prototype exo-skeleton.  But the main attraction this prog is Satanus!

Star Lord No 10: Death at Warp Factor 9

The twins arrive on Earth!  The Strontium Dog three-parter has a predictable but enjoyable ending.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 23 July, 2019, 11:35:17 PM

The twins arrive on Earth!  The Strontium Dog three-parter has a predictable but enjoyable ending.

The song in Ro-Busters is based on 'Cool' from West Side Story by Bernstein and Sondheim - shame they didn't use a Rodgers and Hammerstein tune, really - or had another pair of robots, army surplus ABC Warrior Burn-Stein (armed with a flamethrower) and his pal, Soundhelm (some sort of talking hat or something), who in turn introduce their friends, Gill-bot (some sort of frogman-like ABC Warrior) and Surleyvan (a bad tempered transit van with a Bronx accent).
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Frank

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 24 July, 2019, 01:53:15 PM
The song in Ro-Busters is based on 'Cool' from West Side Story by Bernstein and Sondheim - shame they didn't use a Rodgers and Hammerstein tune, really - or had another pair of robots, army surplus ABC Warrior Burn-Stein (armed with a flamethrower) and his pal, Soundhelm (some sort of talking hat or something), who in turn introduce their friends, Gill-bot (some sort of frogman-like ABC Warrior) and Surleyvan (a bad tempered transit van with a Bronx accent).

Mills should subcontract you to conduct script-polishes on his current stuff. Once you've bent over backwards to accommodate such tortured wordplay, there's much less room left for exposing lizard people at the Home Office/The One Show.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 24 July, 2019, 01:53:15 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 23 July, 2019, 11:35:17 PM

That's one weird song - thanks!  I'll have to re-read that episode while playing the video.  But not now as I have an appointment with Bladerunner, in honour of Rutger Hauer *sniff*.

sheridan

22nd July 1978 publications:

Prog 74: Flesh
Old One Eye returns!  (as a cameo flashback)

Star Lord No 11: 'My brain is a time-bomb – programmed to DESTROY ALL HUMAN LIFE'
Is the Ritz Space Hotel story inspired by Star Wars?  (well, one scene in it, anyway)

sheridan

29th July 1978:

Prog 75: Have you the nerve to play the Cursed Earth game?
The end of Inferno - as rushed as the last episode of Harlem Heroes, but the characters ain't going to be coming back again.  Zero also ends, for the time being.

Star Lord No 12: Experience body-shock now!
First paragraph of the latest post informed by the swipe file thread on this very forum!
The seeds of robot rebellion are trailed - I'm still holding out for a follow-up to the robo-utopia story from Rise and Fall of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein (or is it Fall and Rise?) - more about that when I get to the story - i.e. well after 2000AD matches with Star Lord.

SpaceSpinner2000

Ant Wars really reminds me of Big Trouble in Little China, a riff on a classical adventure story where the traditional protagonist is a blustering jerk and the real hero is the supposed side-kick. That said, I love the classic AW pulp trope of: "Watch out, giant ants!" "Giant ants? I don't believe it" "Oh no, I'm being eaten by giant ants!"
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 27 July, 2019, 12:32:56 PM
The end of Inferno - as rushed as the last episode of Harlem Heroes, but the characters ain't going to be coming back again.

It's probably for the best that Louis was killed off so abruptly - in a world where they have humanoid androids so convincing that Zack actually falls in love with one of them, Louis chooses to have a transparent glass head so that you can see his brain sort of... sloshing about. Pretty sure that's a sign of being a real baddie.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Cover dated 5th of August 1978:

Prog 76: Introducing the man called... Robo-Hunter!
Sam Slade appears while Satanus disappears under a burning church.

Star Lord No 13: Let Me at him, Billy! Quit jawing, jack-ass! He won't escape the laser lash!
Ardeni Lakam dies!  In the future, airlines will use shell-shocked ex-war robots with dented heads as pilots - what can go wrong?  (I bet they bought it as war surplus from one of the Quartz brothers).

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 28 July, 2019, 01:58:02 AM
Ant Wars really reminds me of Big Trouble in Little China, a riff on a classical adventure story where the traditional protagonist is a blustering jerk and the real hero is the supposed side-kick. That said, I love the classic AW pulp trope of: "Watch out, giant ants!" "Giant ants? I don't believe it" "Oh no, I'm being eaten by giant ants!"

I don't know how I managed to watch Big Trouble and think Jack was the hero instead of Wang Chi (I guess being a kid at the time contributed).  The Almighty Sidekick

I wonder how well this applies to Kee Nang in The Golden Child?

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 28 July, 2019, 09:15:46 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 27 July, 2019, 12:32:56 PM
The end of Inferno - as rushed as the last episode of Harlem Heroes, but the characters ain't going to be coming back again.

It's probably for the best that Louis was killed off so abruptly - in a world where they have humanoid androids so convincing that Zack actually falls in love with one of them, Louis chooses to have a transparent glass head so that you can see his brain sort of... sloshing about. Pretty sure that's a sign of being a real baddie.

Previously he's been a brain in a jar - who knows what prosphetic he'd have picked if he'd had another death sport to get involved with?

sheridan

12th August 1978:

Prog 77: Ho ho ho – what have we here, little man...
Robo-Hunter takes place on 13th May 2140 - very rare that exact dates are given in 2000AD!  Dan Dare is kidnapped by Gunnar (not that one) and Jack Adrian introduces Dredd to the Jolly Green Giant - I'm sure that's not going to cause any problems!  Rio is attacked by ants!

Star Lord No 14: Doomsday is just around the corner for Carl Hunter in Holocaust!
Ardeni takes a shower.  Later on Ardeni has a bath (while being watched by an alien hypnotic bird).  Wulf meets The Gronk (not just any gronk).

SpaceSpinner2000

If there's one knock against the Cursed Earth as it appears in the progs is all the color pages sacrificed for the board game. Such a waste!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 02 August, 2019, 02:38:55 AM
If there's one knock against the Cursed Earth as it appears in the progs is all the color pages sacrificed for the board game. Such a waste!

Tell me about it - it doesn't even look like that great a board game!

Did you ever play the Flesh! card game from the early progs?

sheridan

Quick update before the weekend - if you had 21p spare in 1978 then you could spend it on these two:

Prog 78: War Declared on Humanity!
A Jack Adrian dominated prog.

Star Lord No 15: Earth Star-Squad hit by Droon! No Survivors!
J. Adrian takes us to the moon, 19 years before Dredd was Marshal there.