Main Menu

Morrowind

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 24 October, 2013, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

I've got a reasonable athletics skill.... as I discovered the "automatic run" button.  :lol:

Haven't got an invisibility spell.
But I think I need some range spell attacks.

is it better to hunt around the various mages and buy one? OR should I go to a spell maker and have a spell "custom built"?

Got to level 10.

I am surprised that there is any bloody wildlife left in this game... with only a couple of exceptions EVERYTHING ATTACKS YOU... THERE SHOULD BE NOTHING LEFT.

jackstarr

That's so true.  I use the mod "Passive Healthy Wildlife" which fixes the insane suicidal tendencies of the animals - the diseased animals still attack, but the healthy ones will only attack if you attack them first, or get right up in their face.

If you're interested it's a tiny 3kb download from http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/282

Ranged spells are pretty much a necessity for a pure mage - if you've got the cash, get one custom built, otherwise trape around until you find something useful.

Theblazeuk

You're playing vanilla morrowind?

Change this now and thrillpower will increase exponentially. Particularly anything to get rid of those suicidal cliff racers

The Doctor Alt 8

F**k I have contracted Ash-chance blight and now am as popular as Piers Morgan with Rabies.
Just when I have finally found Llarer Bereloth to convince him to join the Mages guild! I have no cure blight potion. Now is it worth the effort of walking all the way back.... And hoping that someone will sell me a cure or what?

Theblazeuk

The answer to that lies within you.

Could just kill Llarer Bereloth, tis what I did. But then I was a very stabby kind of mage.

jackstarr

Have you tried to persuade him to join?  If you can get his disposition to 70 then you won't have to fight him (if you have any Telvanni Bug Musk or other speech fortification items that'd help).

If you've made it to Sulipund, then you should be ok to get back - enemies only respawn after a number of days have passed - so if you killed enemies en-route, they shouldn't have respawned just yet.

When you get back to town, make sure you stock up on potions so this doesn't happen again - have 2 or 3 cure common disease and 2 or 3 blight disease if possible - or if you've got the cash get the spell...if you can't get either option, then resist disease potions or items would be very useful.

Mark and Recall spells could be incredibly useful - place your mark at your base before you head out on a quest, then when you're finished cast Recall and you'll teleport back to base.  Almsivi Intervention or Divine Intervention would also get you out of a tight spot - teleporting you to the nearest temple/shrine.

I think the mantra should be: Be Prepared.

The Doctor Alt 8

Well according to Google search. I have to go to an imperial temple so back to moonmouth barrecks which is the nearest. Trouble is there is a bloody fire Antioch stalking me and I don't as yet have a major frost spell ( it costs over a thousand gold... So would building one)

didn't know you could learn scrolls.. Have to figure out how to do that..

The Doctor Alt 8

Oh F**ing brilliant.... I have returned to Moonmoth barrecks and the bloody priest refuses to cure me
... Tells me I have to find a temple....YOU ARE THE BLOODY TEMPLE...

The Doctor Alt 8

Ok... Now I think that I must be going insane...

I went back to an earlier game save when I didn't have the blight. At the puzzle box quest. I checked if I already had the box in my inventory. No. Go to where the box is. It isn't there.. Go round and round in bloody circles... Past all the NPCs I'd used poison bloom on... NO BOX... WTF... 

jackstarr

Is the puzzlebox not in the same place as shown on this map -  http://www.uesp.net/morrow/quest/mq_caius1.shtml ?

Did you pick up the puzzle box on your other save?

One thing to watch out for with the Elder Scrolls games is the game cache not clearing properly when loading a game.

Try and avoid loading different saves without first quitting the game - always load your save from a fresh load of the main menu.

If possible, also avoid letting the game auto-load when you die - go back to the main menu and load from there (I'm extra cautious and usually quit back to desktop and reload).

Theblazeuk

The more I read these issues the less shiny my memories of Morrowind are.

This is a game where I actually spent most of time playing with the mods and running around aimlessly looting/stabbing/angering things and people. Think I polished off a lot of the house hlaalu quests and the thieves/fighter guild stuff but ended up with infinite money due to theft and started enchanting ridiclous items. Levitation boots, invisibility rings, all that.

I was very fortunate to not encounter too many bugs, just wasn't caught up in the main quest enough to bother with it.

GrinningChimera

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 01 November, 2013, 01:13:31 PM
I was very fortunate to not encounter too many bugs, just wasn't caught up in the main quest enough to bother with it.

I was told to try the elder scrolls games since I love fallout 3 /new vegas and beat the main story on both countless times. Could not get into them at all.

The Doctor Alt 8

Alright I admit it I was being a bit of a prat. In my defence I hadn't had a lot of sleep... I have the box what I can't bloody do is navigate myself though the Redolan (?) canton on Vivcee... I can see the bloody bridge I need to cross to get to the foreign canton... But there is no way out To that bridge... I have been running around that bloody canton like a rat in a box for HOURS... If a town planner had done this in real life they would be fired. ( ultimately it is lazy & stupid game design... It isn't clever people and if I was a game designer I wouldn't do it...)

And someone explain how my armor rating goes up when l remove armour and run around in a long robe?

And how do I sneak?

jackstarr

Vivec City is the most annoying place in the game at the start, but once you get familiar with the layout it stops being frustrating and just becomes slightly irritating...

Luckily you don't need to spend a huge amount of time there.

Use the map to help you navigate - do you have a paper map which came in the game box?  Bethesda provides paper maps with their games for the initial release as they're pretty much essential.

If not, use this map - http://mwmap.uesp.net/?centeron=Vivec -this shows the Canton layout.  Bear in mind you may need to go up the stairs as there are bridges on different levels.

jackstarr

QuoteI was told to try the elder scrolls games since I love fallout 3 /new vegas and beat the main story on both countless times. Could not get into them at all.

The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are very different beasts, despite the same engine and surface similarities.

Fallout is a more traditional story-based RPG.

Elder Scrolls is a true open-world "be who you want, do what you want" experience. 
Exploration is the key, and the ability just to wander and stumble across hidden treasures.
The main quest is often incidental to many people's playthroughs.  In Skyrim, I've played characters who aren't the dragonborn, and live a purely pacifist life as a farmer.

I love Fallout and Elder Scrolls, but for me, mods maketh the game - I play the sort of game *I* want to play on that particular playthrough, on my terms and my conditions, thanks to mods.