Main Menu

Help with Rogue Trooper

Started by -Rogue-, 17 March, 2009, 06:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Rogue-

Ahh, so prog is just their word for issue?
Thanks ^^

radiator

QuoteBy the way, what does prog mean?

Yep - prog means 'issue'.

Quotedo you know any sites that are good to buy all these progs from?

Hmmm - there are a few comic shops in London that stock back issues. It's also always worth a look in charity shops, and in my experience Second Hand bookshops generally have a comics section (but are there many Second Hand bookshops still around these days?) Couldn't really recommend any sites other than eBay. It might help to create a saved search for the issues you want and try every week. You might find it is easier/cheaper to buy up a job lot of progs if someone is selling their 2000ad collection, and take what you want from that. Occasionally someone comes on here offering their entire collection of 2000ads for free/best offer so just keep an eye out for that - It might also be worth asking around on the 2000ad Review board.

QuoteWhen you say for e.g. 'Progs 730 to 741' do you mean all of the progs in between?

Yes, unless stated otherwise, I mean all the issues in between as well. As 2000ad stories are serialised in 5 page episodes, they are spread out over a lot of issues.

Personally, I would suggest that rather than go to great trouble and expense tracking down these relatively obscure stories, maybe you could sample some of 2000AD's other great comic strips? If you enjoy Rogue Trooper, I'd recommend you check out the following graphic novels (most of which have a similar 'future war' vibe):

B.A.D. Company: Goodbye Krool World
Judge Dredd: Mandroid
Kingdom: The Promised Land
Xtcnt
Glimmer Rats
ABC Warriors: Khronicles of Khaos
The Ballad of Halo Jones
Durham Red: The Vermin Stars
Nikolai Dante: The Romanov Dynasty

-Rogue-

Yeah that seems like a better, idea.
All of those comics with Friday would cost a fortune as there are so many!

Like you said, they are apparently pretty dire so I might just stick to The War Machine GN as opposed to following up all of his adventures.

I'll be sure to have a look at those you recommended.
Again, thanks for helping a noob in  need!

satchmo

There was also a Rogue Trooper Annual in 1991.

chris_askham

Quote from: "Bolt-01"Y'know- I've read a really good Fr1day strip...

It will be in Zarjaz 08 in October, and it rocks!

My word, but that sounds very interesting. I shall look forwards to this with some trepidation.

Shaky Caned

While we're on the subject, anyone know why the writers ditched the 'Rogue-as-assassin' idea that they were publishing around prog 520? The obvious answer is 'because it was shit', but I thought the artwork from Dillon was great and I quite enjoyed the initial Yuan Toh hit. The writers had obviously come up with somewhere for the story to go, with all that new moral army stuff and some female assassin coming after Rogue - but after Cinnabar, which was supposed to be an interlude, they ditched it all together. Was there just general reader outcry saying they hated the hitman stuff? Anyone know what happened?

I've just been reading a book of old comics from around the time Cinnabar was ran by the way, I'm not some Johnny Nmemonic type (or however you spell that name)!

radiator

I believe The Hit plotline was unceremoniously wrapped up in a Winter Special or something like that. I think the reason for this is because it was poorly received, and it was decided to reboot Rogue rather than carry it on.

I wonder - have we really seen the last of Rogue, or is another reinvention around the corner? Wikipedia states that Rennie wanted to have another crack at the series, but was prevented from doing so. I remember someone proposing on the board that John Smith could make a go of an all new Rogue series - that I'd like to see.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: "radiator"personally, I very much enjoyed the Steve White/Dan Abnett era.

Glad I'm not the only one
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

radiator

I think it was largely to do with Steve Tappin's artwork - always hugely underrated imo.

Paul faplad Finch

Ah , so does this mean I am the only one to actually enjoy the stories themselves. Bugger, this is like Finn all over again.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

-Rogue-

I'm gonna read the adaptation with Friday and who knows, I might enjoy it ^^

By the way, are you talking about The War Machine or all of the stories about Friday?

TheEdge

Quote from: "faplad"Ah , so does this mean I am the only one to actually enjoy the stories themselves. Bugger, this is like Finn all over again.

I'M NOT ALONE, whoooo hooooooo. Your not alone i agree with you including finn
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

GordonR

Wikipedia's wrong, I'm afraid.  I had no plans to continue on with Rogue.

Mind you, according to Wikipedia, I'm also a former music journalist.  Still got no idea where that came from.

WoD

Gordon is just 'pop-tastic' - you sure you didn't have a run in Smash Hits! ?