Main Menu

New 2000 AD creators blog

Started by AlexF, 23 March, 2015, 11:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

A fine post on Brett Ewins. I too haven't kept up to speed on all blog entries, for one thing there's often a lot of detail and for another, been saving them up as a treat... A wonderful blog.

AlexF

I have to confess I've no idea how the blog goes down on different formats. I imagine with all the pictures it can be a pin on a phone or a computer with a slow connection. And yes, I do tend to go on a bit - more, lately, than I was planning to at first!

Thanks for the kind words.

Up today, modern legend Rob Williams:
http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/no-35-rob-williams.html

AlexF

AlexF

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 01 August, 2015, 07:35:55 AM
One good Welshman deserves another...
Anthony Williams right here:
http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/no-36-anthony-williams.html

Another one I was expecting earlier - seems such a stalwart of the Prog and alongside Paul Marshal I'd suggest amongst the most under-rated artists in the Prog. Loved his work on Sinister Dexter.

Seems to have gone very quiet all round for the last year or so. Hope all is good in the World of Anthony Williams.

AlexF

AlexF

At long last!
It's script droid supreme Peter Milligan. One of a handful of 2000 AD writers who deserves a book rather than a short blog post. I've never really understood why he didn't get the respect and acclaim of Grant Morrison.

http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/no-40-peter-milligan.html

Greg M.

Hurrah, we've finally reached him! Great stuff. I think Milligan's lesser acclaim than Morrison boils down to a few things. He's my favourite comic writer ever, but he can be wildly inconsistent - though even  his failures are really interesting failures. He also doesn't have the affinity for mainstream US comics Morrison does - he can write 'em, but his metafictional leanings can become too pronounced. Ironically, X-Statix went the other way - start off with very artificial, parodic characters and then make you unexpectedly care about 'em.

Colin YNWA

Shamefully behind on this at the moment and just read the Millar write up. As ever a very well balanced piece... though of course in this case surely balance isn't called for rather you should have vented bitter rage and bile like the rest of us?

Far too reasonable you!

credo

Just discovered this blog and absolutely love it. Reading the Milligan and Smith entries (and making my way through 'The Best of Milligan and McCarthy) has once again convinced me that we need to see more trades of their work. While I would still dearly love a collected Tyranny Rex (and more in the prog), a 'Creators Series' line of trades could be great. There's plenty in there for (at least) two volumes each, and a lot of it's not been reprinted (and much of the rest has only seen reprint in floppies).

Colin YNWA

So true a John Smith creators series would be fantastic and a fitting showcase for his work. Alas for whatever crazy reason I'm not sure he has the 'name recognition' to carry such a thing.

Failing that Tyranny getting a good showcase (and another series please, pretty please) would be some form of compensation.

AlexF

It's a vicious circle, isn't it. A writer like Smith derserves a creator-backed collection partly to help get him more fans, but it would only be viable if he had the fanbase in the first place.

Meanwhile, on with the blog...
In at Number 41 it's Simon Fraser.
http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/no-41-simon-fraser.html

Hawkmumbler

Ah Mr. Fraser. A man of many talents. Drawing the bulk of one of the best sagas in comic book history (as if you need to ask) is one of them.

Colin YNWA

I own the last page Lulu Romanov appeared in in Dante, leaving him bewildered and defeated, after the magnificent kiss the page before (some other lucky bugger owns that) in a way no man to that time had been able to. The 'acting' of all present is simply one of the wonders of this world, its a quite brilliant piece of storytelling. One of my favourite things what it is, that I have.