Main Menu

Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]

Started by sheridan, 15 April, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Yep. Brienne was betrayed by the writers in an entirely unnecessary way. Quite why characters always have to fuck, I've no idea. The Guardian has a good take this morning: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/08/game-of-thrones-has-betrayed-the-women-who-made-it-great

wedgeski

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 May, 2019, 02:25:12 AM
What was always more of a platonic relationship of mutual admiration – I'm glad someone like you exists in this world – that culminated in Jamie knighting Brienne, was suddenly turned into a bizarre episode provoked by an out-of-character line from Tyrion that results in both Jamie and Brienne responding with I'll show you virgin! – as if they ever need to prove anything of the sort to Tyrion or themselves.
It was entirely *in* character for Season 1 or 2 drunk Tyrion, and emphasising those elements reinforces the divisions that are happening amongst the good guys, especially wrt Varis, who would have had no love for the old Tyrion. He's still the imp, and he's regressing into the alcoholic he was before leaving King's Landing.

There's a ton of stuff to dislike about the most recent episode, but I can't get behind this criticism.

radiator

Didn't hate it, but didn't like it. I think the natural culmination of Jaime and Brienne's relationship was him knighting her, which was handled really well I thought, definitely a highlight of the season so far. Them shagging felt like to me like overdoing it, needlessly making their unspoken (and in my personal interpretation, platonic) love for each other very literal.

As for Tyrion, I've found his scripting in general since they ran out of Martin's dialogue to be pretty weak all round. He used to be witty and insightful, whereas now he just cracks endless lame 'jokes' about Varys not having a dick.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: wedgeski on 09 May, 2019, 09:40:05 AMIt was entirely *in* character for Season 1 or 2 drunk Tyrion, and emphasising those elements reinforces the divisions that are happening amongst the good guys, especially wrt Varis, who would have had no love for the old Tyrion. He's still the imp, and he's regressing into the alcoholic he was before leaving King's Landing.

There's a ton of stuff to dislike about the most recent episode, but I can't get behind this criticism.

And that division is something which the Varis and Tyrion scene achieves very well, without drunken Tyrion from season 1 or 2.

The Tyrion line to Brienne was written purely as motivation to move Brienne and Jamie to a situation where they could consummate an aspect of their relationship that never seemed to exist in the first place. That was cheap, and in the broader context did none of the characters any favours.

Aaron A Aardvark

Brienne's a great character but her arc was to die in the zombie battle after being knighted by Jaime.

I enjoy GoT but respect it less and less so it's becoming a guilty pleasure.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

radiator

First episode of GoT I have straight up hated.

Words fail me.

Genuinely shocked at what a mess they've made of the ending.

moogie101

Interesting reactions online for this one.

For me it's the best of the season, yeah still rushed but the Mad Queen has been teased for so long.

Now she's lost her claim to the throne, two dragons and all her close advisers who in previous episodes have held back her more murderous instincts. This carnage was the logical conclusion.

Varys was right and died for it.

Funt Solo

That's where I was, opinion-wise.  They did an amazing job of making the [spoiler]destruction of King's Landing[/spoiler] traumatic viewing, I thought.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

radiator

George RR Martin has always said that the ending to the saga will be 'bittersweet', and has said that he wants to emulate the ending to LotR and the Scouring of the Shire in particular - in that the heroes will ultimately triumph, but that victory will come at great cost to them.

The show, on the other hand, is going for bludgeoning the audience with a relentless parade of misery and slaughter instead. There's no way the ending can be anything other than a massive downer now. It's all bitter, no sweetness. I'll say again; to interpret Martin' books as fundamentally bleak and nihilistic is - to me - missing the whole point.

There are almost too many other problems to mention;

The scorpions being completely ineffectual for no reason after being established as totally lethal against dragons in the last episode is objectively terrible writing, imo.

Likewise Tyrion yet again trying to appeal to Cersei's better nature. It didn't make any sense when he did it back in season 7 episode 7, and it certainly didn't make any two more attempts later.

And giving Cersei a tragic death scene that we're apparently(?) supposed to be sad and sympathetic about is an absolute joke.

Funt Solo

Quote from: radiator on 13 May, 2019, 06:30:29 PM
The scorpions being completely ineffectual for no reason after being established as totally lethal against dragons in the last episode is objectively terrible writing, imo.

Just to take that one point: I don't think it's terrible writing rather than awkward filming.  When Rhaegal is shot down by the scorpions of Euron's Iron Fleet, it's supposed to be a sneak attack.  If only they'd managed to make that work well on film!  (As it was, it looked like Dany was being careless by not noticing a huge fleet of ships, and that the scorpions were way too accurate over such a long distance.)

But, if they'd managed to portray that in a better way it would stand to reason that Qyburn and Cersei (& Euron) felt that the scorpions were their best bet.  But, they also backed that up with a meat shield, so they weren't 100% confident.   

Dany knew what the scorpions were capable of, but also had faith in her flying skills.  We can argue that last week, shocked by the death of Rhaegal, she felt like discretion was the better part of valor and didn't tackle the Iron Fleet then.

Ultimately, she gambled everything on Drogon's ability to out-fly the scorpions.  She gambled and won.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

New theory: [spoiler]Arya will kill a queen but not the one she thought she would[/spoiler]
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

radiator

broodblik

Maybe people get their boss-battle after the night king one shot kill  :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Steve Green

[spoiler]Long bit about the episode, deleted because I really couldn't be arsed[/spoiler]