Main Menu

#2 A Netflix style way to read old progs

Started by matty_ae, 20 April, 2019, 02:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

So as I understand it Rebellion can't reprint all the old progs due to historic licensing issues (Dan Dare, old adverts for Star Wars toys) some either creator-owned/creator-contested stories and also some oddities like data protection and even clearances of reader's art.

But I'm pretty sure that they could certainly offer a Netflix type reading service for:
- Everything that remains in print i.e. everything Hachette are putting out
- Prog 1300 onwards

So I get that you don't want to either put off subscribers or purchases of recent reprints so maybe do the old IPC Annual rule of not offering any story less than 5 years old.

As long as progs could be index linked to read complete stories I'd pay to have them on an App just so I could plough through the thrills.

broodblik

I still believe that they can re-release the progs. The adverts they can just remove or in case where it is half-a-page they can put Thargs face in it (or something)

Anything that has a copyright they might have to not include. I only know of Dan Dare (but this has been collected so they might still be able to include it), Stainless Steel Rat and Metalzoic that is not own by Rebellion.

So yes I think it would be possible to have the progs reprinted
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

moly

They released stainless steel rest a couple of years ago

IndigoPrime

Rat was for that edition. Rebellion has since said it would need to seek permission for further reprints.

Colin YNWA

While this would be great I sometimes think its the adverts and similar fluff that really add a flavour of time and place to the Progs which is why I always prefer the original comics, regardless of how impractical.

Mind for those not lucky enough to have the Progs (and I'm still to get the first 39) this would be a glorious thing.

broodblik

I will still like the whole library at some stage to be release in a digital format (and as close to the original progs as possible).  The digital route will be the easiest. They can even released it in batches like year one  then in another three to six months year two etc.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Adventurer

If Rebellion wanted a comic steaming service to go up against DC Universe, Marvel Unlimited, or even ComiXology Unlimited they would be better off releasing their content by title, not by Prog. Rebellion isn't going to painstakingly go back and scan Progs raw, ads and all (legal questionable at best). Though having letter pages and Nerve Centers in some form would be nice...

But there's a bigger problem, what Marvel Unimited and DC Universe have that 2000 AD doesn't is a shitzillion number of comic books. When you really think about it, 2000 AD might be a weekly anthology but it effectively only publishes five 20 page comics a month. Doing some quick and dirty math, that's only 2400 equivalent comics to Marvel and DC in the same time period. Even adding Megazine and British Treasure of Comics material you're only probably looking at 5000 total comics by page count on the extreme outside.  Marvel and DC's services have tens of thousands of comics available with hundreds (thousands?) more added every year.

As a service, there is a real risk of readers signing up, reading basically everything, then unsubscribing. That's not really a practical model for comic streaming I'm afraid (or at least I wouldn't think so)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

That said, how much is a digital sub, and what would be viable for a Rebellion service? If you're already paying £10 for PDFs, would you pay the same for a Netflix-style sub (which removes 'ownership' but would give you current issues, back issues, and possibly also Treasury content)?

metalmarc

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 April, 2019, 05:54:57 PM
That said, how much is a digital sub, and what would be viable for a Rebellion service? If you're already paying £10 for PDFs, would you pay the same for a Netflix-style sub (which removes 'ownership' but would give you current issues, back issues, and possibly also Treasury content)?

Throw in the Rebellion TV shows in the future & rebellion games, any novel published Dredd or non - dredd & 2000ad, any audiobooks they have as well.

Close to what Disney already offer in the UK Digital service i.e not that much really, especially as they are limited with the tv shows, always a season or 2 behind since they allow sky the rights. They charge £4.99 per month

but disney plus is going to be 10 to a 100 times bigger probably.

IndigoPrime

Sure, but there's a world of difference between corporate giants and Rebellion. Judging by the Rebellion website, the monthly 2000 AD sub alone is eight quid. The Meg is four. These of course come with a level of ownership and permanence, unlike a 'Netflix' (or Comixology Unlimited) service, but, again, I do wonder what people might go for, if they had access to everything, and how much they would pay.

Honestly, I'm not even sure myself. (I currently subscribe to the combi print edition, which is apparently 170 per year – working out at just over 14 quid per month.)