Main Menu

Del Toro's future plans

Started by Rex Banner, 07 September, 2008, 04:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Banner

'Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro has signed a four-picture deal with film studio Universal that will keep him occupied for the next decade.

The Hellboy director will remake Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Frankenstein and Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7600726.stm

Leigh S

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGFGGGGGGGGGGGGGD!

He's my only hope for a Clark Ashton SMith film, and ... remakes!  And what about At the  Mountains of Madness?

Mardroid

I was glad to see this:

QuoteBefore that, however, del Toro has to direct two films based on The Hobbit and other works by JRR Tolkien.

Produced by New Line and MGM, the Lord of the Rings prequels will be del Toro's main priority for the next four years.

It's stuff most of us probably know already, but on seeing the future film plans above, I was a bit worried he was no longer with 'The Hobbit'.

paulvonscott

What a terrible waste of the man's talent, retreading old Universal IP.  I'd look forward to Slaughterhouse Five, but not as part of a five year sentence.

Roger Godpleton

I sincerely hope Del Toro isn't reined in by the studio on these flicks, as to me there is always the risk that he'll give us something as bad as Blade 2, which is possibly the most infantile piece of shit I've ever seen.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

QuoteBlade 2, which is possibly the most infantile piece of shit I've ever seen

It really is.  I really enjoyed Blade, and I really like del Toro, but that movie... ugh.

Mardroid

I liked Blade 2. To dialogue is sometimes clunky, and there is some dreadful cheese moments (whistler throwing the glasses to Blade for example) and there were a lot of moments where you felt like it was just engineered to make Snipes look cool... but I thought it was a great film over all.  And the Reavers were excellent monsters.

I, Cosh

I thought Blade 2 was far better than the first one. At least in part because it contained that ultimate childhood fantasy: kicking the living shit out of Bros.

And it didn't have that awful line about ice-skating uphill. Just typing that makes me cringe.
We never really die.

Mardroid

Quote from: "The Cosh"I thought Blade 2 was far better than the first one. At least in part because it contained that ultimate childhood fantasy: kicking the living shit out of Bros.

And it didn't have that awful line about ice-skating uphill. Just typing that makes me cringe.

Ha, ha. I remember when I was at school, the girls would have in depth descriptions of which of the Bros they fancied the most. Us blokes of course despised bross.

I thought Luke Goss was pretty good in Blade 2 though. I'm curious how he does as the freaky looking Elf chap in 'Hellboy 2'.

Out of the Blade films, I think my order of favour would be 'Blade 2', 'Blade' then 'Blade Trinity'. I didn't dislike 'Blade Trinity' mind, it had some good ideas and some great characters but it somehow didn't work as well. Probably due to the friction on set and the under-use of Snipes in the film (partly due to his own fault from what I've read, but that's hearsay.)

the shutdown man

I loved Blade 2. Silly at times, yes, but a lot of fun. Although there were a couple of moments that were a bit "huh?", such as: If the bomb strapped to the back of Perlman's head actually did work, then why didn't Blade use it then and save himself some bother, instead of going through the "it's a dud" argument?  Answer:  To get a fight scene out of it.

I will say that Blade Trinity was pants though. I actually cringed at the "She likes to make playlists before going into battle" bit.

Back to del Toro, every couple of weeks there's a new announcement on his future plans, he must have about fifty films scheduled for the next few years.  I just don't know what to believe anymore. What happened to him on the Hobbit?
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

TheEdge

I'm soooo disapointed. "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" and "Frankenstein" have got so many movies, tv movies and series i cant believe someone as talented as Del Toro has agreed to tie himself into them.

The language in blade trinity was worth watching the movie for, Ryan reynolds was very good, and jessica Biel is just HOT.
"horse humping thunderC**t"
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

the shutdown man

Quote from: "TheEdge""horse humping thunderC**t"

Wasn't it "cock-juggling thunder c**t"?  :D
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

TheEdge

Quote from: "the shutdown man"
Quote from: "TheEdge""horse humping thunderC**t"

Wasn't it "cock-juggling thunder c**t"?  :D

Thats right, imagine forgetting profanity that colourfull. i think he calls her a Horse Humping Biatch too
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Leigh Shepherd"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGFGGGGGGGGGGGGGD!

He's my only hope for a Clark Ashton SMith film, and ... remakes!  And what about At the  Mountains of Madness?

He still plans to make At the Mountains.. and it may happen after the Hobbit once he has the financial clout:

//http://chud.com/articles/articles/16200/1/THE-NEXT-DECADE-OF-GUILLERMO-DEL-TORO/Page1.html

Richmond Clements

I recently reread At The Mountains, and if anyone can turn that into a movie, it'll be Del Toro.

And put me down for another Blade 2 fan.
"You're about one cunt hair away from hillbilly heaven."