Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

That just your opinion,and I respect it.However,I disagree with it.
Train called love....leave it out...

Theblazeuk

I don't think Hitman has dated particularly, other than the thin links to the DCU being washed away by the tides of crisiseseseseses. It's aged a little better than Preacher in my book, mainly due to aiming lower in scope. Far superior to the Boys which was... alright? But I got tired of. The thing that really made me enjoy Hitman was the Superman issue, which stood - as supes should - slightly above the muck.

sheridan

Quote from: Smith on 01 July, 2017, 05:59:44 AM
That just your opinion,and I respect it.However,I disagree with it.
Train called love....leave it out...

dweezil2

Ennis' Fury Max is a masterpiece in my opinion.
The sooner he's back on The Punisher the better-I'll start picking it up again then!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15789282-fury-max
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Smith

Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 July, 2017, 03:27:17 PM
I second that emotion.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 03 July, 2017, 04:47:39 PM
I second that emotion.

I'm once twice three times a lady... or to put it in a way that actually works.Yep its absolutely BRILLIANT!

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 July, 2017, 06:06:39 PM
I second that emotion.

I'm once twice three times a lady... or to put it in a way that actually works.Yep its absolutely BRILLIANT!

Are you sure?  She could be ....  faking.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 July, 2017, 06:13:59 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 July, 2017, 06:06:39 PM
I second that emotion.

Are you sure?  She could be ....  faking.

Nah I'm lying...

Smith

WH40K #8 was interesting.There is certanly a lot of setup here.I hope its not canceled before it pays off.
Mage #0 is here.It okay for an interlude of sort.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 13 July, 2017, 06:10:00 PM
Mage #0 is here.It okay for an interlude of sort.

SO excited about this - can't wait...

Bolt-01

Mage 0 was a blast.

I've made no secret over the years how much Matt Wagners comics Mage & Grendel mean to me so I am totally excited to see the return of Mr Matchstick.

Smith

Youngblood #3 Oddly enough,this is still one of the best comics I read recently.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 July, 2017, 10:58:43 AM
Mage 0 was a blast.

I've made no secret over the years how much Matt Wagners comics Mage & Grendel mean to me so I am totally excited to see the return of Mr Matchstick.

Yeah far from being a slight thing - though it is a slight thing - the other Wagner packs in as much as his namesakes. He's shows he has the ability to cram in a heck of a lot of stuff subtly and excitingly just as our John does - the twelve pages draw out character, setting and themes (one suspects) while oozing cool. At the same time he gets that commentry in just like Matt Mills of these part (well what's a P between comic geniuses?).

I've said it before Matt Wagner is in my quintet of comic's true greats and I'm absolutely stocked to be reading Mage 'live' for the first time as I've only bathed in his brilliance in recent(ish) years. Great start.

Colin YNWA

Some good comics this time round, and alas some muh ones too. Oh and Mage - Hero Denied 0 which I've already discussed. Muh alas are War Stories 24 which just felt a little slight and indulgent. This story has been given an extra issue and I thought that was an interesting departure. Alas it seems to be just to pad things out Ennis would have covered in 3 issues normally. We'll see how this one holds on re-read. Art still terrible. Cinema Purgatorio 11 had a rare duffer too. Moore and O'Neill's led was pretty flat, A More Perfect Union laboured a point well, but that took 8 pages where two would do. The other stories didn't do anything to make up for the dip. Still nothing to worry about as I'm sure this series will be back on form next month.

Kamandi Challenge 6 is probably most notable for me not hating Philip Tan's art for the first time ever. Neat resolution to last months fantastic cliffhanger duff mid act, nice finalk art. Not bad.

Everything else was good to GREAT. Judge Dredd - Blessed Earth 3 had some nice call back to early regular Dredd. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 20 continued this series glorious return to form. Kill or be Killed 10 ended a great arc fantastically. Just brilliant stuff and how Sienkewicz is that demon!

Paklis 2
is another great issue of this anthology. Maybe not as anthology as I'd like but still a fascinating read and really glad I was pointed in its direction from the good folks here. It reminds me so much of the sci-fi comics you get from the continent.

Finally for the second time running Rock Candy Mountain 4 gets book of the haul. Now we've moved from a terrifying fight with the Devil to a glorious fight with almost an entire prison population. The gloriously bombastic action element of this series shouldn't however detract from the fact it's a deftly realised yarn with fantastic character, refreshing dialogue and an insight into a lifestyle that's otherwise witnessed only through the lense of sterotype. This is the best book out there that most of you aren't reading and you really should be.

Smith

Forever War #6 That was...wow.Its one of those things you read and then need to sit down and grab a drink to process it.Impressive in every way.
Jimmys Bastards #2 And the Wormwood award for laziest work of Garth Ennis goes to... ::)
Invincible #138 This became a sort of who-will-die-next thing...