Main Menu

Talking of Old School Board Games...does anyone remember...

Started by Beeks, 06 April, 2011, 03:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeks

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

locustsofdeath!

Ooh, that looks cool. Don't remember it, but I'm surprised I never played it considering I loved Heroquest, Space Hulk and all those Games Workshop fantasy and sci-fi games when I was a youngster.

Darren Stephens

What about 'Talisman'? That game was my favourite fantasy board game. I have it somewhere....and the Chainsaw Warrior one. A trip up to the loft is in order, I think.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Richmond Clements

Talisman was an extraordinarily good game.
I've seen it (or at least what I assume to be it or a version therof) in my local comic shop recently.

Games Workshop did some cracking board games in the olden days- their Dracula and Mummy boardgames were cracking fun.

exilewood

I still play the Dredd one - cos it's arsom - & the Rogue Trooper one - not quite as arsom, & sometimes the Dr Who one. Games Workshop used to do wicked stuff.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 06 April, 2011, 03:54:49 PM
Talisman was an extraordinarily good game.
I've seen it (or at least what I assume to be it or a version therof) in my local comic shop recently.

Games Workshop did some cracking board games in the olden days- their Dracula and Mummy boardgames were cracking fun.
Oh yes, I have the Dracula one, too. Epic game! :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

locustsofdeath!

Ah, there's no board games like those old Games Workshop board games. The best thing is that they're perfect for starting the little ones out; my 8-year-old and I play Heroquest every Friday night and she loves it.

exilewood

Not just little ones - my other-half loves the Dredd game, yet doesn't really care for the comics.

Beeks

When I was a kid it was all about Top Trumps

I specifically remember the Horror ones!

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

John Caliber

I've got the 'recently' published FURY OF DRACULA by Fantasy Flight Games. It's an excellent design, but only works with the maximum roster of Players; the rules reckon two players can manage, but it means one Player has to handle more characters than he can realistically handle. I also have Games Workshop's Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Block Mania and Mega Mania.

I have some ARKHAM HORROR boardgames by Fantasy Flight, and a badly-written game called GHOST STORIES (the rules don;t make much sense. I need to remember to sell them all on eBay due to a lack of co-players.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Beeks

Crossbows and Catapults anyone?

Had hours of fun with this game too  :D

Colin YNWA

There were so many. Block Mania was a particularly fine example and Rogue Trooper was fine too. My favourite however was 'Kings and Things' that was hours of fun and the way it was designed meant no two games were close to the same. Oh and cute design with Killer Penguins. Can't get better than that.

locustsofdeath!

I always thought the Arkham Horror games were supposed to be good (I've never played any).

Recently I bought the Last Night on Earth zombie board game and it's great fun. I'm going to grab the expansions.

Games Workshop games I've got: Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest, Mighty Warriors, Battle Masters, Space Hulk, Space Crusade, Advanced Space Crusade, Blood Bowl (2nd edition) and Dungeon Bowl.

Other cool games: Fantasy Warriors (a Warhammer-type game), Crossbows & Catapults, Weapons & Warriors, Lionheart and Waddington's Bigfoot game (ha).

mygrimmbrother

Jesus christ I used to love crossbows & catapults!

I remember seeing it in catalogues - I never had it but it was of those things I used to obsess over as a kid (like scalectrix), and the longer went by without having it the more I obsessed.

mygrimmbrother

When I was a kid, I used to go round to my best mate's house with a board game tucked under my arm (Mysteries of Old Peking anyone? Lost Valley of The Dinosaurs), and I remember that his mum would always laugh at me because her son had the latest megadrive or commodore amiga and she thought it was hilarious that I was turning up with a board game. What a cow.