Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Zombicide is a tough game,  that first mission especially so. 

Coincidentally we were also playing it yesterday and we tried the game without using the escalating threat levels. That made it too easy as we were still levelling up our characters.

So, next try we will skip the escalating threat level AND the character levelling up to see if that improves the playability of the game.

radiator

I got the chance to play Dead of Winter again last week - this time having a much better handle on rules.

Predictably, it went far better this time around. Loved it. It's a slow burn of a game, but by the third round or so we were all really into it - the whole table erupted in cheers at one lucky dice roll - not often that happens!

I also picked up Dixit on a whim the other day, we played it the other night and it went down like gangbusters, despite there only being three of of us playing. Can't wait to play it with a larger group.

Also finally got the play a game of Catan. It was fun but I'd have to play it a few more times to see if I really like it or not. Unfortunately we had a real bottleneck where no one could generate any wool for most of the game and every other resource was in plentiful supply, so that didn't really lend itself to dynamic or exciting gameplay, and because wool is needed to buy development cards, we couldn't really play that way either. But like I say, perhaps we'll fare better next time. I get the sense that Catan is a bit a of a divisive game, is that fair to say?

One thing that I couldn't seem to find confirmation of either way in the Catan rules was whether or not the initial two settlements each player plays before the game begins count as points or not? Anyone know?

Pyroxian

Quote from: radiator on 08 May, 2016, 10:34:19 PMOne thing that I couldn't seem to find confirmation of either way in the Catan rules was whether or not the initial two settlements each player plays before the game begins count as points or not? Anyone know?

Yes, they do.

I

Theblazeuk

The initial two settlements count as points, yes. Otherwise you'd only get 1 point when you built a city on them and it'd be a waste o' time.

I really enjoy Catan but times of plenty are more interesting than times of scarcity. The way you get around the lack of one resource is to trade with the bank - in which case the ports become the main contested space. You can trade 4 with the bank at any time but ports let you bring it down to 3 or trade 2 of one resource for anything. I find a big issue is when people are unwilling to just MOVE ON and keep rolling though, bogs things down massively.

I don't think Catan is any more divisive than any other game, people just get ratty sometimes when someone keeps hitting them with the robber or so on. Depends how people are with competitiveness .

radiator

I think the frustrating thing we found is the catch 22 we kept finding ourselves in.

By the time you amass enough resources to have 4 of a single type, some bugger rolls a 7 and you have to lose half of your cards.

I tried to build a port city, but couldn't do so until I had a wool, but had no means of getting any.

So yeah, for a lot of the game we had no other recourse but to just keep rolling the dice.. It can feel a little tedious compared to a game like, say Machi Koro, where you can almost always make a move that will advance you in some way, and never have to sit twiddling your thumbs.

radiator

QuoteI don't think Catan is any more divisive than any other game, people just get ratty sometimes when someone keeps hitting them with the robber or so on. Depends how people are with competitiveness

I've just heard from various podcasts and reviews and things that some people seem to think its a bit overrated, and has been far surpassed by other 'gateway' type games that handle similar elements more elegantly.

Michael Knight

Anyone still have fond memories of MB's Space Crusade or Hero quest?
Introduced me to worlds of Games workshop. Loved them both!

SIP

Still playing both of them,  more so heroquest which is just great.

Satanist

Any recomendations for family card games? Looking for something for us to play on a long train journey so trying to steer clear of dice  :lol:

Already have Love Letter and have my eye on Fluxx at the moment.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

radiator

Quote from: Satanist on 23 May, 2016, 06:02:55 PM
Any recomendations for family card games? Looking for something for us to play on a long train journey so trying to steer clear of dice  :lol:

Already have Love Letter and have my eye on Fluxx at the moment.

Exploding Kittens is a winner with all ages - it's essentially Uno meets Russian Roulette.

Coup is fantastic - if your kids can get their heads around Love Letter they should have no problem with it.

TordelBack

Fluxx is great fun. Some of the themed varieties are slightly simplified (Monster Fluxx for example, is what we tend to play), which might work better for families, but you will need a table or surface that you can all see the 'rule' cards.

We're currently entranced  by Tiny Epic Kingdoms, which fits in an A6-sized box and does exactly what it says on the tin - a sort of micro version of Civilisation or Catan complete with all the major fantasy races (13 of them), invasions, resource  gathering, 'tech' trees, alliances and betrayals, but all done and dusted in 30-45 minutes with a brilliant core mechanic ensuring everyone doing something on every turn, and all played out in about a square foot with no dice rolling. Terrific fun, I'm seriously contemplating the expansion already. Says 14+ on the box but we picked up the rules in about 5 minutes and my 10yr old is a master already.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: radiator on 23 May, 2016, 06:09:49 PM

Exploding Kittens is a winner with all ages - it's essentially Uno meets Russian Roulette.

I know nothing about this, but there's no way this isn't great right?

radiator

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 May, 2016, 09:11:11 PM
Quote from: radiator on 23 May, 2016, 06:09:49 PM

I know nothing about this, but there's no way this isn't great right?

It's really fun, and has been the main driving force that has allowed me to slowly convert everyone I know to regularly playing board and card games this last year or so. It's also very compact, meaning you can play it just about anywhere. Great pub game.

Even if you've never heard of the game you'll almost certainly be familiar, on some level with The Oatmeal - the cartoonist behind the art on the cards.

Satanist

Well youve sold me on Exploding Kittens so I'll pick that one up and wife suggested getting 2 so I'm thinking Star Fluxx.

Tordels, I watched a review of Tiny Epic Kingdoms last night which said each race had it's own dice (looked like 8D's) so is that wrong?  We always book a table for long train journies so space shouldnt be an issue but I can't be arsed with chasing dice about a carraige. It did look very interesting though.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Timothy

The dice isn't rolled, so you shouldn't need to chase it. It's used in war for each player to indicate how many resources they are willing to commit to the conflict in secret.