Main Menu

DEFOE: 1666 & QUEEN OF THE ZOMBIES (REVIEW)

Started by Mabs, 25 June, 2013, 03:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

This review was originally published on my blog. Please feel free to make any suggestions or corrections.

Defoe: 1666
Written by Pat Mills
Illustrated by Leigh Gallagher
Published by Rebellion

With the start of the new series in 2000ad, what better way than now to get aquainted or even re-aquainted with the preceding storyline and the exploits of Titus Defoe? This trade consists of the first two arcs originally serialised in 2000ad, '1666′ and 'Brethren of the night'.

The story is set in an alternate London, in the year 1666. It is two years since the passing of a comet over the capital, and the Great Fire which caused widespread devestation. And from this cauldron of fire and ash the undead 'reeks' started to rise, hungry for living flesh. Zombie hunter, Titus Defoe is tasked by the Crown to protect the people from the undead hordes. But it soon dawns upon him that something or someone is guiding the dead. He puts together and leads a band of zombie hunters known as the 'Dirty Dozenne', with them by his side and help from Sir Isaac Newton and his various contraptions of war, Defoe plans on getting to the bottom of this zombie epidemic.

I must admit it took me a while to get into this collection. But once I did, I was flying through it in no time! The main thing that grasps you immediately is Leigh Gallagher's black and white artwork. And my, what a thing of beauty it is too. There is no grey tones involved instead black line strokes used to depict shading and depth – and boy does it look magnificent (his style is very reminiscent of John Ridgway's work on 'Tales of the Dead Man'). The sense of atmosphere which Gallagher's artwork evokes is simply awe-inspiring. Whether the damp squalor of the streets, the towers, the rivers, the skies, or the pungent decay of the 'reeks' (Zombies), you feel at times you really are present in London circa 1666 albeit in an alternate reality.

Pat Mills' writing is also excellent, setting up a London which is both historically sound and fantastical at the same time. For example the class division (Defoe himself is from a working class background, a 'Leveller' and later a soldier prior to becoming a zombie hunter), politics, royalty, skullduggery, and basically everything Mills is known for in his writing but with steampunk, horror and magic to add to it. At times it feels like a medieval version of his ABC Warriors - with the Dirty Dozenne very evocative of the Meknificent Seven, albeit a bit more crazier! And he weaves everything together, with twists, thrills and dark humour aplenty to create a truly 'fantasmagoric' experience. Even the language used in the story is a delight to see, words which have long become dormant in the English language. And cameos by historical figures such as Sir Isaac Newton (which I touched upon), King Charles II and so on. The coming together of all this fantastical elements such as magic, popery, flying 'cars', big ass weaponary (which could even give James Cameron wet dreams) not to mention the zombies (lead earlier on by the decapitated head of Oliver Cromwell!) and the characters themselves, whether friend or foe - make this collection a truly enjoyable read.  I am a huge fan of history, horror and steampunk (or pre - steampunk in this case) and I lapped it all up with joyous gusto! And being a born and bred Londoner, it's always a joy to see London depicted in this interesting and exciting way in comics, not only Defoe here, but Absalom and From Hell also come to mind.

This is a series which grows in strength, because the second volume (Queen of the Zombies) is even more enjoyable, not to mention the new series (The Damned) which has just started in the pages of 2000ad.

I must also add that the cover art for this trade is absolutely stupendous indeed by Gallagher. Those interested in learning more about how he went about designing the cover should check out this awesome entry in his blog:

http://leighgallagherart.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/making-of-defoe-1666-book-cover.html?m=1

Superb stuff!

4/5

--------------------------------------------------

Defoe: Queen of the Zombies
Written by Pat Mills
Illustrated by Leigh Gallagher
Published by Rebellion

The last time we saw Defoe, he was on the trail of the Queen of the Zombies, who managed to escape his clutches. In this volume we go deeper into the zombie conspiracy. We discover some startling revelations about both foe and ally.

For me this collection was far more superior storywise (and even art wise) than the first collection (1666). Pat Mills has again crafted a story bursting with ideas, non stop thrills and twists aplenty. It's almost like Shakespeare crossed with Steampunk and zombies!

This time round Defoe and his 'Dirty Dozenne' not only have to stop La Voisin (Queen of the Zombies), but also defend the Tower of London from the invading hordes of the undead, add to that a hungry crocodile in the Tower's moat and a Seraph (fallen angel), not to mention the un-masking of Mene Tekel, the main mastermind behind much of the chaos in which Defoe finds himself engulfed in.

And Leigh Gallagher renders all the above again in his magnificent black and white art. His style is very suited to the steam-punk/ horror trappings of the story, in fact it elevates the story to another level. If the first trade was spectacular, here it is doubly so. There are some awesome double page spreads and one page reveals in this collection, the most notable of these being the unmasking of Mene Tekel (that page just left me gasping with disbelief!), and the two page spread near the beginning of the 'Super Zombie's' lair (one of them even looks like a zombiefied Captain America – Pat Mills clearly couldn't resist!). Not to mention the zombie hordes themselves who are just some of the most ghastly and stomach churning ever to be realised in comics – and what makes them stand out is the fact they have other 'demonic' powers such as walking under water and even flying (the panel where we first see this amazing feat is very eeriely done).

To sum it up, Gallagher's artwork is just sublime, no other way to describe it. The guy is something else entirely, you can see he pours his heart and soul into each panel, and he clearly relishes the challenge of bringing this world to life via his artwork.

This collection is great, great fun and a big thank you to the awesome Leigh Gallagher for recommending it to me in his blog. I can understand now why this is his favourite collected work thus far.

Magnificent stuff!

5/5
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Simon Beigh

Great reviews, Mabs, and I concur with the majority of what you say. Mr Gallaghers art is just amazing. An oft over-used word in know, but 'amazing' I think about sums it up!

Actually, book 1 is my favourite, and I was into it from the first frame (the view across London with the rain hammering down and the crow sitting on the spire)

Ghastly McNasty

Had both of these delivered by the Postie this morning.  :D

Mabs

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 25 June, 2013, 03:30:50 PM
Had both of these delivered by the Postie this morning.  :D

Then you're in for a treat!

@SimeonB, cheers. I also loved the first trade, but it took me a while before I could get into it. Once I had become accustomed to Leigh's artwork, with the dark interiors (and the start isvery dark!) and the story, I breezed through it. But for me the second volume was my favourite both from its storytelling and artistic aspects. But both are awesome trades.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ThryllSeekyr

I have recently got both of these volumes and have been meaning to read them properly, but not yet  :D