Main Menu

DOCTOR WHO-Easter Special 11th April.

Started by Hoagy, 01 April, 2009, 08:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: "Godpleton"
Quote from: "the_legendary_shark"Doesn't it look tired?

Projection.

Huh? I don't get it :-(
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

By contrast, I've just finished watching Genesis of the Daleks and I'd trade every pound of New Who's FX budget for 10% of the quality of the Genesis script.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Buddy

Well it's looking like the lovley Michelle Ryan won't be making a re appearance in the other specials. Pity as she looked quite good in that black get-up.

Thought it was ok in general.

Mardroid

I liked it too. The idea that the space-rays (heh) generate wormholes by flying around really fast was incredibly daft though.

That was a small issue, and I liked the rest a lot. Got a bit of a kick out of the flying bus too. I can't help wondering, if the jewel wasn't required with the gravity clamps, what was it's purpose on the fly-folks' ship? A power source? The bus was out of petrol.

And yes, Miss Ryan is very attractive. That snogging the doctor thing is getting very silly though.

And the gold hammer bit made me laugh out loud.

Mangamax

Nah, reckon Ryan'll be back - she's Romana with her memory wiped dont'cha know
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Eric Plumrose

Unfortunately, I caught about ten seconds of this towards the end.

Okay, it wasn't YET ANOTHER ALIEN INVASION CONVENIENTLY GLOSSED OVER but for fuck's sake. A bus. Flying over London. TO BE SEEN BY ANYONE WHO CARES TO LOOK UP. Yes, I know, it happened at night (for once) but still . . .
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Daveycandlish

QuoteThe idea that the space-rays (heh) generate wormholes by flying around really fast

Just skimmed over this post and completely mis-read the word wormholes as wombles! Might have made for a better plot if they had! :)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

It was just so average. Had a lot of potential that wasn't delivered. A different writer would have taken that premise and made an exciting, terrifying story out of it. Even David Tennent who's Doctor Who I've loved has become cliched. The show is so ready for the changes to come.

Keef Monkey

Ach I thought it was ok. The trailer had given me the impression of something pretty dark and scary (cute CG monster aside), and it was more of a wafer-thin jape. The psychic woman proved pretty annoying, and Lee Evans was surprisingly likeable until he crowbarred in some physical comedy with the fire extinguisher and reminded me why I hate him. Not bad Easter viewing, but Red Dwarf was the main event for me and this was just alright.

Plus, I can generally gloss over even the largest plotholes in Who, but for some reason [spoiler:1x4x1hh6]not getting on the blower to the scientist to close the wormhole immediately in favour of flying around in a bus pointlessly for a few minutes and thus letting cute CG Langolier rip-offs into our realm[/spoiler:1x4x1hh6] seemed impossibly dumb.

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: "Eric Plumrose"Unfortunately, I caught about ten seconds of this towards the end.

Okay, it wasn't YET ANOTHER ALIEN INVASION CONVENIENTLY GLOSSED OVER but for fuck's sake. A bus. Flying over London. TO BE SEEN BY ANYONE WHO CARES TO LOOK UP. Yes, I know, it happened at night (for once) but still . . .

Sort-of related to this, I got the feeling that the Whoniverse's present-day people have all finally become a lot more savvy about the whole aliens-and-space-shit business than they used to be. I'm pretty sure I caught a reference to *shudders* the end of last series with the planet moving, and possibly a cybermen one. Though I could be making that up.

Anyway, they seemed to accept all the wormholes and aliens and shit quite easily. I would've gone stark staring, meself.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

crazykdg

hey does anybody know if its being shown again cos i missed and really annoyed :angry:

Trilobite2

I wtched it, aided by a jug of Pimms I even liked it but my god I'm getting so bored of Dr Sexpot plotlines. Why must all the totty companions fall in lurve with him, unless they are a comedy side kick. Why does he have to be presented as this enormous hero UNIT staff are wetting themselves to get near too? I liked it when he was just a hero not this bizarre secret megastar thing. OK modern drama is really into relationships, UST and all that but a nice bit of heroic adventuring without added hormones would please me just as much if not more. Tom Baker didn't need fawning adulation to be the Doctor and those adventures still shine for me.
I'd like it if they cut back the soap opera and stepped up the action adventure now and then. Guess I'm just oldfashioned.
And the plot holes could have accomodated the flying bus but that's a whole 'nother rant.
Tril

Toni Scandella

It was awful.  Lara Croft was awful.  It was saved (ish) by David Tennent's overacting and general cuteness, but it was still awful.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Very disappointing I thought and Lee Evans made things even worse. I probably expected something a bit more from this special and it seamed like we  were just seem to be going through the motions like every other RTD script. As has been said here previously RTD may be too much of a fan to take any risks with The Doctor or allow him any character development. Hopefully they'll improve as they continue and finish on a high note for RTD and Tennent.

JamesC

It was pretty good fun in general but marred by moments of typical Davies mawkishness.
The leader of UNIT was one of the most annoying women I have ever seen on television.