Main Menu

The Daily Dredds, Vol. 2

Started by Sector Chief, 09 March, 2015, 10:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassstanley

This is another excellent volume. Extra kudos for the British Library visits! I spent a long time there printing off the Menagerie & Monster Maker strips for my own collection. Nice to see these in non-blur-o-vision at last!

By my reckoning there are another 5 or 6 volumes of material to look forward to! I hope the release rate increases, as I'd like to finish the collection before I retire!

Toni Scandella

Book is even bigger than vol 1, and just as beautiful.
it is in the reading pile straight after I finish the Tour if Duty Mega Collection volume.

COMMANDO FORCES

Amazon just delivered mine and I was just nodding off. The buggers said Monday as well but at least it's here now.

Magnetica

Got mine today - from Tharg's online shop.

It always seems a bit random when stuff turns up. Unlike FP you don't get an email telling you your order has been dispatched (hint) which is a shame, as all things being equal I would prefer to support Rebellion directly.

Also I now need to actually read volume one - from what almost two years ago?

Unlike vol 1 the stuff in vol 2 is new to me (I think I am right in saying none of this has been re-printed ?)

Richard

No, most of it has been reprinted before, but three stories haven't. Check the contents page.

Michael Knight

Absolutely sublime! Just opened mine. Tis a thing of great beauty! Just wondering though while there no offer of bookplate or signed edition from Tharg? Similarly with upcoming Dan Dare. Whilst ive saved myself bit of money when its comes to anything 2000ad im willing to support Thargs empire with extra credits. Anyone else wonder why no offer this time?  :-*

Eamonn Clarke

Could it have something to do with the changeover of warehouse arrangements ?
Just a guess

Michael Knight

Eamonn Clarke mate it could be that i suppose

I, Cosh

Got this, along with the first one, at the weekend. Lovely heavy volumes, perfect for reading on the throne.

One thing that's been bothering me. Where does the Ian Gibson cover art come from? The Anderson image was used on Psi Files 2 and I couldn't figure it out then. Seeing Dredd makes me think it might be Tomb of the Judges but I don't have the Case Files available to check.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 October, 2016, 04:45:36 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 02 October, 2016, 02:46:35 PM
... What with discovering the Flash Gordon dailys have finally started to get some reprint love from Titan...
Oh have they? That's tempting, I loved the Alex Raymond Sundays, how do the dailies hold up?
I used to love the Flash Gordon strips which appeared in The Sunday Times (I think we took this so my dad could get angry about High Tory cultural imperialism, but it might just have been for the book reviews) in the eighties. Any idea what sort of era of the strip those were reprinting and what collection might be worth sampling?
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: I, Cosh on 18 October, 2016, 10:09:59 AM
One thing that's been bothering me. Where does the Ian Gibson cover art come from? The Anderson image was used on Psi Files 2 and I couldn't figure it out then. Seeing Dredd makes me think it might be Tomb of the Judges but I don't have the Case Files available to check.

Star Scan Prog 573 -

Star Scan Prog 596 -

I, Cosh

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 October, 2016, 11:18:16 AM
One thing that's been bothering me. Where does the Ian Gibson cover art come from?
Star Scan Prog 596
Aha. Cheers.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 October, 2016, 11:18:16 AM
One thing that's been bothering me. Where does the Ian Gibson cover art come from?

Star Scan Prog 573 -

http://www.2000ad.org/covers/scans/hires/573.jpg

Star Scan Prog 596 -

http://www.2000ad.org/covers/scans/hires/596.jpg

SOAP stole those images from Barney, which is ironic. The real Cosh has obviously memorised all the information on Barney, which means I, Cosh is an impostor.

Are you me with another name change?

Leigh S

Oh have they? That's tempting, I loved the Alex Raymond Sundays, how do the dailies hold up?
I used to love the Flash Gordon strips which appeared in The Sunday Times (I think we took this so my dad could get angry about High Tory cultural imperialism, but it might just have been for the book reviews) in the eighties. Any idea what sort of era of the strip those were reprinting and what collection might be worth sampling?

Not sure what era the Times did - I would assume they were the Alex Raymond ones, though with the film coming out in 1980, I dont know - have a google and see if it rings a bell - the stories are (taken as stories) very repetitive and as with much of the time can be a bit dubious from a modern perspective in terms of race and gender, but the art is glorious and dreamlike - I liked Leonard Cohens line about Bob Dylan getting teh Nobel Prize - like trying to pin a medal on Everest - that is how I would describe Raymonds art!

sheridan

Got my birthday present now, though the day's been so packed I've only been able to have a cursory glance at the Daily Dredds Volume 2 (managed to read the introductions).  I'm assuming the background on the cover is from the Rumble in the Jungle story which introduced the Manta Prowl Tank?  The presence of a sign with 'city reclamation' written on it suggests the panel in question will be just before one of the gangs steals the giant bulldozer.

Dodsy

Found out yesterday I've won a copy of this through the 2000AD Instagram account!  :D Can't wait for it to arrive so I can get stuck in.
Twitter - @dodsy84