Main Menu

Hanging plot threads you would like to see addressed

Started by Hawkmumbler, 24 June, 2016, 04:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Denton

Quote from: Tordelback on 26 June, 2016, 11:31:09 PM
Isn't the point that the fetus can be easily transplanted rather than destroyed? I imagine that kind of tech - a third option - would change perspectives on rights of the unborn, especially in a state with serious hangups about genetic 'purity' of the population.

Edit: sorry, Zen!

That makes a kind of sense, but with overpopulation historically being a problem I can't see them actively trying to keep the population up. Dredds world has always had a particularly cavalier attitude towards human life so I doubt it's a moral issue. Assisted dying is fine in MC1 (although that's a choice made by, rather than for the soon to be deceased), with Judges actively recommending Eldsters choose euthanasia in at least one story I hazily remember.

Steven Denton

Quote from: AlexF on 12 September, 2016, 12:07:38 PM
Quote...oh and the whole Andersons (fun?) tales operating independantly of Dredd's with the two seemingly never to brush paths - despite the telepath having saved the city previously, she's finding some rather bland cases to be 'busy on' while the city turns to rat poo...

I've always thought there was a general problem with Psi Division that it was never clear which cases deserved to make use of this super-helpful resource, and which ones don't. I guess the only way ot make sense of it is that the psychics are left to their own devices - their inherent sensitivity will pick up on and tune in on certain cases for whatever reason, so the Chief Judge can't simply insist on Anderson solving e.g. the Titan attack, or finding PJ Maybe, because even her psi powers can't just do any old thing on demand.

It also works the other way around - why didn't Joe Dredd get involved when ALL the city's children were being led off into the Cursed Earth that one time?

Not Just led off but subsequently killed. Anderson story's when through a phase of having world changing events or city wide catastrophes that were completely ignored in the wider timeline (and probably in Anderson itself) 

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Steven Denton on 12 September, 2016, 12:28:12 PM
Quote...oh and the whole Andersons (fun?) tales operating independantly of Dredd's with the two seemingly never to brush paths - despite the telepath having saved the city previously, she's finding some rather bland cases to be 'busy on' while the city turns to rat poo...

It also works the other way around - why didn't Joe Dredd get involved when ALL the city's children were being led off into the Cursed Earth that one time?

Not Just led off but subsequently killed. Anderson story's when through a phase of having world changing events or city wide catastrophes that were completely ignored in the wider timeline (and probably in Anderson itself)

Childhood' End is the one everyone always cites, of course, but what about the Half Life virus that led to tens (hundreds?) of thousands of spontaneous murders and suicides?

The events in Anderson are never even referenced again within the same strip - remember when twenty city blocks gained sentinence and walked out into the Cursed Earth to make a little satellite city outside the West Wall, guarded by Krong the robot ape? Hardly surprising, seeing as it was never seen/mentioned again.
@jamesfeistdraws

Steven Denton

Using the very same comic book logic that made some one think it was a good idea to connect Friday and Rogue Trooper, that connection can be dismissed. Friday's Rogue Trooper isn't the same Rouge Trooper as the one in Rouge Trooper.

Jacqusie

The events in Anderson are never even referenced again within the same strip - remember when twenty city blocks gained sentinence and walked out into the Cursed Earth to make a little satellite city outside the West Wall, guarded by Krong the robot ape? Hardly surprising, seeing as it was never seen/mentioned again.

...Ah yes, I'd been doing really well in forgetting that wacky ol' tale... those crazy sentient city blocks eh? Wonder how they are all getting on, maybe the kids that went down them tunnels live there now? A few might be pregnant with Dredds baby or something?

;)

maryanddavid

I dunno, Dredd and 2000AD had always been a little loose with continuity. Dredd arrested Satan and Dracula, and this is in the same universe as 'Bury My knee At Wounded heart' and 'America'.

For me the walking building occupy the same place, although I have always wondered about the whole disappearing kids storyline. I always took it that these events were sector events, rather than city wide, so maybe its just a sector with an ageing demographic. Or Chaos Day has made it a moot point.

Jacqusie

...so the Chief Judge can't simply insist on Anderson solving e.g. the Titan attack, or finding PJ Maybe, because even her psi powers can't just do any old thing on demand.

Good point, but then there are the pre-cogs that have missed a trick or two (dozen) long the way...

I always wondered what happened to the Total War hit woman in the great story 'After the Bombs' that became a Justice Dept precog with a big peice of metal lodged in her head...

It had wonderful art by Jason Brashill too... what ever happened to him I wonder?

...that's a lot of wondering!

sheridan

Quote from: Jacqusie on 13 September, 2016, 12:18:10 AM
It had wonderful art by Jason Brashill too... what ever happened to him I wonder?

...that's a lot of wondering!
The Day the Web Stood Stupid also wondered what happened to him.  Computer games in Seattle, apparently.

Plus a few things for TV.

Jacqusie

Thanks Sheridan for that digging, I always loved his work and although I shall forgive him for the space girls (a guys gotta work) he helped the prog look great with his covers in the 1990's.

Maybe he will grace us once more in the future, you never know...

sheridan

Quote from: NapalmKev on 27 June, 2016, 08:39:10 AM
The Clown - the (sort of) 2000AD Batman. Except that he killed people!
And subject of a recent ABCs of 2000AD podcast (vidcast?)

Jacqusie

Quote from: sheridan on 12 September, 2016, 02:30:07 AM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 11 September, 2016, 11:05:35 PM
Judge Logan and his arm has been bothering me lately... hope he's ok?
It's up to Wagner* whether Judge Logan ever appears again, following real-world events...

Judge Logan was based on a real person, superfan W.R. Logan, known to many on this forum and sometime adviser to Wagner on minutae of Dreddworld trivia.  The real Logan (aka Stewart Perkins) passed away on 21st of May this year (obituary by Pete Wells).

*though I'm sure if he does plan any tribute then he'd contact Mrs Perkins first.

I didn't know about the Logan/Stewart thing until recently, I just liked the character as I thought he brought something a bit different to Dredds world.

I'm a fan of continuity and always appreciate the characters returning in Dredds world, as some of the stories I find a bit throwaway sometimes. Logan brought some gravitas, a bit of realism and humanity and was a great foil for Dredd.

I do hope that he might make a come back, in all respect to Stewart and his families wishes of course.

Si

Toni Scandella

What happened to the Death Belt over the Cursed Earth, and the dome the City was in that we saw as Dredd was leaving the City in the killdozer?

Steve Green

The Death Belt was covered in a tales from the Black Museum story in the Megazine

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 20 September, 2016, 12:19:14 PM
The Death Belt was covered in a tales from the Black Museum story in the Megazine
Dome-wise it could have just covered that portion of MC1, and there's been plenty of things that could have happened to a dome in the intervening years...

Death Belt-wise - I liked it - can't recall the Black Museum story, but was it conclusive that it couldn't come back?  I love the devil's lapdogs!

Jacqusie

Roffman & his PSU work hasn't been around for a while, especially his how his new sphincter is getting on.

That and I miss Robo-Guthrie, I can't remember the last time he made an appearance.

Technically not loose plot threads I know, but in Roffmans case, they may be still hanging mind you...

::)