Main Menu

Judge Dredd mega collection reading order

Started by skybluerob, 07 October, 2016, 04:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skybluerob

Hi all,

Quick question about the Judge Dredd mega collection partworks.  I've been collecting this, but was wondering if the best way tobread them is the numbered order presented in the collection, or the release order?

Or doesn't  it matter.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

dweezil2

I'd say read 'em as you get 'em skybluerob or you could spend years playing catch-up!

You could always read volumes that follow a sequential order later!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Trent

Yes, the publishers talk of the volumes being picked to provide a cohesive and immersive experience or some such, but the truth is that they want to mix it up a bit to spread out some stories and characters.
That said, I would stick with the release order although volumes 1 to 12 run well in order as do the Tour of Duty books irrespective of release order.
Unless you are prepared to wait a year or more for some books just get on with it as released, it is actually a nice mix of epics, shorter tales and Dreddverse characters that will stop you getting too bogged down in say, 5 Anderson books in a row.
Bit rambling but I have mixed feelings on the subject.

Tony Angelino

As someone who stopped reading the Prog in the early 90's and really only got back in to things with the Mega Collection I've found the order of stories a bit confusing. I just read them as they come in.

I must say though that stuff by Garth Ennis, Mark Millar, Grant Morrison and the like has been pretty poor. They did not do their best work on Dredd. I couldn't get through the Inferno story even with the art by Carlos.

skybluerob

Thanks for the responses.  I've been reading Dredd in the prog now for about 18 months.  I was going to read through the casefiles, but preferred the mega collection as it mixes old with new as well as different mega city characters.  I think I'll read them in release order.  I may get confused at times, but sometimes that mystery can add to the appeal. 

WhizzBang

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 07 October, 2016, 10:40:44 PM
I must say though that stuff by Garth Ennis, Mark Millar, Grant Morrison and the like has been pretty poor.

I think it was necessary to go through that period for us to end up where we are now where we have multiple writers who can produce great Dredd stuff. You have to see it all go wrong to get a better view of what is right about a good Dredd strip.

Having said that, I quite like several of Garth Ennis's ones.

Toni Scandella

release order for me, but i do already know the material... It is two a month reading it that way and I have been enjoying stories even when I never enjoyed them first time aroung ( the Hondo City stuff, and Devlin Waugh)

when it is complete the number order :)