Main Menu

Southern Contingent London Gathering Sat 23rd June 2012

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 20 April, 2012, 09:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Sorry you were feeling ill, mardroid- yeah, you perhaps shouldve come to chinatown for grub with us. Mind you, we did manage to find perhaps the only chinese restaurant that modelled itself on club obi wan from temple of doom, with a similar attitude to westerners! "Eat! Pay! Get out! Before we shoot you! What do you mean 'beef fried rice'? There is no such thing! You can have CHICKEN fried rice ONLY!", so it may be for the best.

Oh, and i think 'jon' was strontium71- you almost deciphered the sig, but not quite. But i'll leave it to him to correct you as i dont like giving away real names on the forum, for obvious reasons. Or check out my fb status for correct three letter name!

A shame cf scared pat mills so much he didnt turn up at the pub!

SBT

SuperSurfer

That was a really enjoyable day. Was great to see everyone again and meet some new people such as SBT's very pleasant wife. The day felt as if it lasted 45 minutes which is a good sign.

I bought the new Slaine graphic novel which is beautifully produced. I also bought a Dredd T-shirt (the I am the Law one) which they didn't have in my size last time I was in FP. I was proudly wearing my Zombo T-shirt.

Was great to meet Simon Bisley and Pat Mills who I've seen at many conventions over the years. I had a good brief chat with Pat Mills about Requiem which I bought recently (and am enjoying very much).

I drank way too much and was slurring my words just a few hours into the pub session. I really should've nipped out for some grub as I was Hank Marvin.

Thanks Conor for (once again) bustin' my ***** about doing more drawing. Enjoyed seeing Kerrin's "it's hammer-time dance" and had lots of good chats all evening. Great when its such a big gathering as one can circulate and drop in and out of conversations.

On the way back I had to stop off for a coffee before I got the tube. Part of a pin of a certain badge I was wearing fell off and like a loony I was looking on the pavement trying (in vain) to find it. As I slowed down a tourist knocked into my back. My fault really so I apologised but result was a bit of a (semi-serious) verbal ding-dong.

I meant to take more photos. I only took this video which shows a sneaky but bloody useless incoming Nort attack. Didn't even tickle these hardened Southers.

http://youtu.be/LLmrne93zQ8

Albion

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 June, 2012, 12:52:59 PM
Anyway. Slightly surprised at how posh Pat Mill's accent is. Highlight of that bit was one of the group (I think it was Albion, forgive me if I'm wrong.) yelling "WE ALL LOVE YOU PAT!" to much amusement.

It wasn't me it was Nap Normal. Bloody Palace fans.  ;)
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

SmallBlueThing

Should also mention that, while hanging about waiting for the mills signing, we accosted some poor unfortunate guy in a 'fist of dredd' tshirt who was then battered with reccommendations he join the forum. He admitted to lurking hereabouts, but not joining up. We didnt let this lie, obviously- and if you're reading this mr lurker- JOIN! And sorry you (possibly) didnt get an invite to the pub afterwards, if you didnt. While Southern Contingent hospitality knows no bounds, our excitement sometimes gets the better of us, and the prospect of the pub was very exciting indeed. So, we forgot to ask you! (or i did, anyway).

SBT

COMMANDO FORCES

And so it be told, another superb day in London with the Southern Contingent was had by all :thumbsup:

As I wandered from Victoria towards Forbidden Planet, I managed to spread the word of 2000 AD to Japan by appearing on their TV :o I noticed a Japanese film crew next to Eros interviewing some bod and as I walked past a young female researcher for the show stopped me and asked if I was in a hurry and would I mind being interviewed for Japanese TV. In my head I thought 2000 AD t-shirt is on, let's go!
It was a case of saying if I believed in wizards and ghosts and I had to point at a YES/NO board while the host asked me. I then had to elaborate on my answer and I just waffled on for ages making sure that the 2000 AD logo was in shot.

Just for Dirk Van Dom, the male host wore an orange jumpsuit and he held the YES/NO board in front of his chest. He spoke in Japanese to the viewer and then translated to me. I pointed to the answer and then gave my reason why, he then translated all that back to the viewer, repeat for second question. SPREAD THE WORD folks!

I then wandered up to Forbidden Planet and s71 heard my voice as I was asking questions to a sale assistant about Dredd merchandise. We had a good old chat and slowly everyone else turned up (a few texted/phoned that they would meet us a little later). We all wandered down stairs for the Mills/Bisley signing, which was excellent value. This was a true double act for the fans and no-one was short changed of any time with the pair. Danie Ware from Forbidden Planet ran the show with an invisible touch and this helped it run smoothly.

As I was about three from the fron Biz recognised me and quipped that this would be our first ever meeting when we were both sober, he was right :lol: I had my copy of The Horned God signed and asked if it was okay for a Southern Contingent picture. To which Pat said he had heard of us :thumbsup: and so I handed my camera over to Danie and called the contingent over. I think this is when Nap Normal decreed his love for Pat!

WhitBloke, Large48, Mardroid, Biz, CF, Pat, SBT, Albion, Nap Normal, Domino, Steve Green and strontium71

Around this time uncle fester tried to organise his own signing but alas it didnt work. I think the picture he had in this beautiful book was spoiled by the pop up bod  ;)

We then bought goodies and went to the pub (I'm sure I didn't scare Pat off). While here El Chivo texted to see where we were and soon he came through the door and then we were all together and the drinking really took off.
During this time stories were said and many guffaws burst forth. s71 brought forth his sketch cards and many a sketch was drawn on them, SBT managed to lower the tone of the art twice, once for s71 and once on a card for me :-[

We didn't even mention the trailer for ages but when we did we had to shun SBT for a while afterwards and then decided he should undergo ECT treatment to bring him back to the norm!

Okay folks now for some pics to show how a real gathering is undertaken!

Nap Normal, SuperSurfer, El Chivo, Kerrin & the hand of s71

Mardroid, SBT, Albion, Whitbloke & Nap Normal

SBT, CF, Domino & Large48

Back Row uncle festers arm (I think), large48, SBT, Kerrin, Domino, Mardroid, El Chivo, Dunk, Albion, Steve Green, s71 & Nap Normal
Front Row CF, Whitbloke & SuperSurfer

Domino, El Chivo & Dunk

Domin, SBT & a slighty drunk s71

Albion, CF, uncle fester & Kerrin

Overall it was great gathering. As I said numerous stories were told and many of those will never see the keyboard. I saw Steve showing a bit of the start of Judge Minty which includes the Lawmaster looking stunning to some forum members. Drink was guzzled at a breakneck pace. Some of the group went down to GOSH but came back due to the queue and continued drinking. Some others went for food (I was starving when I got of the train in Maidstone and had to grab some MacDougals). During these times we kept drinking and the conversation never stopped.

As you may have seen whitbloke made us all some most excellent badges, one is now in the 'cellar'. Albion brought along something special and that is now in the 'cellar'. s71 brought some sketch cards and the artistic and non artistic glady sketched on dozens of them for him.

I can't thank everyone enough for coming along and making this another special day for the Southern Contingent. Roll on the next one, which I think will be the Dredd weekend release Saturday or very close after it, as we sort of mentioned during the gathering.

By the way any of you from the Northern Contingent want any advice on sorting your gatherings out, then just give any of us a call and we'll sort it out for you. Here is one bit of advice, pick a date and stick to it :lol:

Anyway, all good things must come to a close and so Kerrin, Mardroid and myself did a speed march to Victoria. I managed to get on my train with 2 mins to spare and all of a sudden Mardoid was walking up the carriage. This was also the train for his stop. During the journey I fell asleep and when the conductor asked for my ticket he had to wake me. He asked where I was going and said he would wake me before the stop. Amazingly I woke up the stop before but the conductor did come back down to wake me. I thanked him and thought what a decent chap going out of his way on his job. So well done South Eastern railways  :thumbsup:

I shall now stop waffling and let s71 show his pictures!

P.S. I hope I got everyones names correct this time!

vzzbux

Thats a mighty fine looking woman you have there SBT. Looks well out of place with all you nerds and geeks.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SmallBlueThing

Ah, cheers vzzbux, she had a great time. Though was slightly disappointed we didnt get to the alan moore signing, as she wanted to pull him up about something.

CF: if you're printing copies of those photos, could i get a batch of 6x4s for our physical photo album? And Uncle Fester- am i to take it youve been published in big book of art? Excellent!

SBT

WhitBloke

Glad everybody got a smile out of the badges, so hat rightfully doffed in the direction of SuperSurfer's scrotnig design.  "Greetings!  I am Tharg... for a day."  Uncle Fester's Inking Lessons.  Strontium71's sketchcard hoe-down.... underwear optional.  "Look at my feet!  Wa-heeey!"  Massed pose-off for the cameras.  The Souther Invasion of Chinatown.  "We'll get in.  I'll have a word with them.  DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!"  Guess My Age with SuperBabyFace.  "Twenty five quid for a photo with Stan Lee?!?"  Pat Mills being supremely personable, and a very good sport besides.  "I was described as 'pretty' today."  The hilarity of the Chinatown Six secret merchandise summit.  "You're not a wanker."  Yes, an enjoyably random day at times...

Just seen your fantastic Nort Attack footage, SuperSurfer...  Curiously pitiful and hilarious at the same time so I've filed it under Nort Contingent: Laughable. 
So this is der place then, Johnny?

W. R. Logan

TordelBack

Dear Grud but it was a bit unfair of Domino to come along and show you all up as the decaying hulks of t-shirt-stretching nerd flesh you all are... 

That is one very purrdy immaculately turned-out lady.  I hope you'll all be making use of the new Olympic facilities to come up to speed by the time the next Souther Retreat is called.

;)

COMMANDO FORCES

Mark Millar was seen at Forbidden Planet but he was there as a customer.

Proudhuff

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

but maybe Trout might want one for his collection?
DDT did a job on me