Main Menu

The Lakes International comic Art festival - October 18-20

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 05 March, 2013, 11:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Sterlacchini

Looking forward to it!

They're squeezing a Minty screening in there as well, but to be honest I'm just going for the convention and to finally meet Carlos!

Proudhuff

That's a stunning lineup, still trying to get myself invited to my chums house doon there for that weekend...
DDT did a job on me

CrazyFoxMachine

I'll be there :D Not sure exactly how we'll afford the train let alone where to stay but lawdy it'll be a good'un with all those solid folks on show :O

Dodsy

Can anyone suggest and good (and cheap) hotels that will be pretty central to the festival?

Also, has it been confirmed if the guests will be doing signings or have tables like at Thought Bubble? I've not been able to find anything online.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Dandontdare

since the lake district is one of those places that are heaving in summer and quiet off-season, hotels may be far more willing to offer discounts above and beyond advertised price if you call them up directly, unlike cities where they can fill the hotel at any time.

It is a bloody good line-up isn't it? (checks bank account sadly)

Tom Burns

Really can't wait for this - me and my wife are not going to miss this! :)

Lady Festina

Uncle Fester and I will be there selling art and comics, and looking forward to a traditionally sensible and sober forum night out ;-)

W. R. Logan

Proudhuff

This from their programme:

2000AD : An On-Earth Odyssey

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 20:30 - 22:30

A special celebration of the evolution and influence of the ever-popular British comic 2000AD and, in particular, the work of John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra, co-creators of its most famous character Judge Dredd.  They will be joined by a star-studded Council of (at least) five fellow writers and artists who have worked on 2000AD over the years including Robbie Morrison, Andy Diggle, Dave Taylor, Gary Erskine, Peter Doherty, Bryan Talbot and more.

With the thrill-meter at the ready, the unleashed creative talents of arts students at Kendal College and hosted by the ever-popular John McShane, this event will bring the story of the comic and its most famous characters to life!  Calling all Earthlets...... Rookies welcome....

Venue: Kendal College

Tickets: Purchase tickets online at
The Brewery Arts Centre
or by telephone Box Office: 01539 725 133 or in person in advance

Ticket Price: £9.00

There is a serious shedload of great stuff at this, and nearly everyone from the Edinburgh book Fest is here to and cheaper!

If my friend doesn't let me stay over I'll get a B&B I think, the lineups worth it: The Squrriel and The Big W introducing Judge Minty and Dr3dd, then the above shindig with the effervescent Mr McShane blimey! 

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 23 June, 2013, 09:27:01 AM
Looks like the Lakes will be my one con this year.

You Steve Bell fans, what are you like  ::)
DDT did a job on me

Dodsy

Booked our room for the Saturday night yesterday and will be booking the tickets/ panels on Saturday.

Was starting to get excited until I realised it was still 3 months away. That will mean I haven't been to a con in 11 months by the time this rolls around.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Spikes

Pretty excited for this one, and hopefully ill be attending.
What's cemented it for me, is that Dredd's parents will be attending, plus some of the Guys from the original art thread are going.

Think the best bet would be to get accomadation to make it a full couple of days. Hopefully as its in October, it'll be outside the tourist busy period?

Edit: What place did you book, dodsy?

Dodsy

In a quaint little B&B about a 5min walk from the town hall (or clock tower as I think there calling it). I thought it was pretty reasonable and definitely close enought to everything. Links here:http://affiliates.thedms.co.uk/a5050420/Default.aspx?dms=2&pid=5056040#Availability
If anyone is interested.

What panels/ events is everyone planning on attending?
Twitter - @dodsy84

Dodsy

Finally got this booked along with 5 panels/ events. Just need to pay for it now lol
Twitter - @dodsy84

JUDGE LEMMY

I will be going to this one and i will be going in my Garb Of Justice! also i kinnda have to go....because both John and Carlos have promised to sign a rather awesome poster project i have been working on! So to Minty and Commando Forces....see you there!
Lemmy don't just play bass anymore!