Main Menu

LAWLESS: A Celebration Of British Comics 2019

Started by Andy Lambert, 20 January, 2019, 02:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

On my way, from hotel to Lawless, wearing the minimal uniform. Weapons and armour stashed in bags. Now I just look like an almost normal bloke with black jacket and chinos and a strange large gold coloured badge.

And a non regulations baseball cap. That will likely be swapped for something else later.

Whether or not I put on the other accoutrements depends on how many others are dressed up. I don't want to look like a tit alone.

Anyone going, be nice to meet ya. I'll be the tall bloke wearing a hat of some sort and an unnamed judge badge

shaolin_monkey

A huge thank you to everyone who bought a raffle ticket for the Lawless Model Raffle!

Today we were aiming for about £300 towards the cause, but...

You have all contributed to a total of...

£876 for Save the Children!!!

I cannot say thank you enough for all of your generosity! An amazing result.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

The online JustGiving Lawless Model Raffle closed today. We'll be doing a further draw for Werewolf Dredd, Don Uggie, and Cookie over the next few days - I'll post a video of the draw and contact the winners when done.

However, I can tell you that the JustGiving raffle finished at...

£500!!!

So overall, thanks to your generosity, we have raised a whopping £1376 for Save the Children!

Thank you everyone, and congrats again to today's winners, Mark Lamb and Matt Davies!

Frank

Well done, Mr Monkey
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAT MILLS PRESENTS THE FIGHT OF THE CENTURY

SATANUS, THE BLACK
TYRANNOSAUR

VERSUS

DEADLOCK, WIELDER OF
THE SWORD SINISTER

Not sure whether that's Steve Green in there or if he's taking the photo. Not sure whether he'd want to admit to being involved either way.

Frank

Colin MacNeil returns the favour of the Tharg who gave him his break in comics. MacNeil's always been a great artist, but the recent addition of a talent for caricature to his formidable armoury makes me wonder if there's anything he's not brilliant at.

Even more impressive, MacNeil did this in the boozer:

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Frank on 18 May, 2019, 09:12:43 PM

Well done, Mr Monkey
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you! Very pleased with the result.

PAT MILLS PRESENTS THE FIGHT OF THE CENTURY

SATANUS, THE BLACK
TYRANNOSAUR

VERSUS

DEADLOCK, WIELDER OF
THE SWORD SINISTER

Not sure whether that's Steve Green in there or if he's taking the photo. Not sure whether he'd want to admit to being involved either way.

It was Verity Lamb in Satanus, up against Steve Sterlaccini I believe!

ZenArcade

We had a great day at our Sector 13 table. We were beside the mighty BOLT01. The five issues of the Fanzine went down really well and more than that, it was a delight to meet and talk with so many fellow fans. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Frank on 19 May, 2019, 10:52:43 AM

Colin MacNeil returns the favour of the Tharg who gave him his break in comics. MacNeil's always been a great artist, but the recent addition of a talent for caricature to his formidable armoury makes me wonder if there's anything he's not brilliant at.

Even more impressive, MacNeil did this in the boozer:

Even more impressive when you see the state they were both in!

:D

Bolt-01

What a great day that was. I got there nice and early to find myself next to the sector 13 lads and after a tense stand-off that almost elevated to a full-on 'Thunderdome' moment, we all got on great! Both Peter and Zen are very knowledgeable and their love for the source was evident throughout.

The gig was packed with faces old and new - and many copies of both Zarjaz & Dogbreath were sold. I bought some comics, picked up the limited edition Ezquerra pin from PReplicas and chatted all day long.

The cosplay was top notch - with lots of familiar sights (Max Normal was in full effect) and loads of new -  Lawson was there as was a Carlos droid too.

There were loads of 'moments' but I'll highlight a long chat with Kek-W covering more ground than I think is polite to discuss here along with a very welcome trip to Wetherspoons with DanDontDare, Sheridan, ChiropteraRex, Rackle and BCB before my drive home. Grand to catch up.

Next year should be even bigger, so take my humble advice and get your tickets as soon as you can.

sheridan

Really should have gotten a few photos of the cosplay - an inexhaustive list:

• Judge Death
  • Lawson (from Lawless)
  • Batman
  • Deadlock
  • Satanus
  • Carlos the Art Droid (as drawn by Robin Smith)
  • Judge Leia (mash-up)
  • Junior Angel
  • Judge Malificent (mash-up)
  • Durham Red
  • Judge Comedian (mash-up)
  • Dennis the Menace
  • sundry judges of various cities and territories

• who did I miss?

sheridan

• Ma-Ma x2
  • film version of Brit-Cit
  • Sov-Judge Gagarin
  • Rogue Trooper
  • Johnny Alpha
  • werewolf Judges x2 (presumably both Dredd)
  • perp

Dandontdare

Another splendid weekend - props to Su and the team for organising it. Bad back notwithstanding I had a blast. Amazing costumes, interesting schedule of panels and events, lots of lovely merch to drool over, and the sort of unhurried relaxed access to creators that you just don't get at bigger cons. Great to see all the regulars again, from the forum and from previous Lawgivers, but I talked to several people who were there for the first time and enjoying it.

I didn't win Monkey's amazing Carlos statue (nice work smashing the target by the way - a hairy moment there when it seemed both winners had gone home  :lol:), but I did win one of the pages from the artists draw-off - I am now the proud owner of a piece I call "Tank Girl Riding a Dragon whilst Eating a Cow Pie" by Colin MacNeil.

I added eight more signatures to my big book of droids (including a Tharg - they're worth double points!), but spent very little (except at the bar, which predictably ran out of draft ale by lunchtime). I picked up the lovely little Judge Ezquerra pin, but avoided the lure of original art although there were plenty of lush pages to be had.

Roll on next year  :D

MacabreMagpie

From the other side of the table, it's a great con. I must admit I'm not overly fond of doing events (I'm an introvert with fast-depleting social energies!) but this one has always been painless, friendly and there's a real family vibe to the whole thing. If you've never been, highly recommended!

Andy Lambert

Had the BEST time, as I always do! It's always over too soon, but I'm here with very happy memories and already looking forward to next year's event!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 21 May, 2019, 11:47:53 AM
From the other side of the table, it's a great con. I must admit I'm not overly fond of doing events (I'm an introvert with fast-depleting social energies!) but this one has always been painless, friendly and there's a real family vibe to the whole thing. If you've never been, highly recommended!

Was it your dad that turned up at front desk saying 'Erm, I'm here to see my daughter. She's doing some kind of art gallery thing - AD something-or-other?'  :D

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 21 May, 2019, 07:12:58 PM
Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 21 May, 2019, 11:47:53 AM

Was it your dad that turned up at front desk saying 'Erm, I'm here to see my daughter. She's doing some kind of art gallery thing - AD something-or-other?'  :D

I think you have me confused with another guest/exhibitor but either way that is hilarious XD

And my dad still refers to the prog as "AD 2000" no matter how many times I tell him.